Flights to Athens from Chicago

Artcricket

Looking for advice on flying to Athens from Chicago for cruise next May. Can anyone suggest an airline that they would recommend? I’m a 71 year old widow - flying with family. I don’t like to fly and am hoping someone can suggest the least stressful way to get there. 

1 hour ago, Artcricket said:

Looking for advice on flying to Athens from Chicago for cruise next May. Can anyone suggest an airline that they would recommend? I’m a 71 year old widow - flying with family. I don’t like to fly and am hoping someone can suggest the least stressful way to get there. 

Cruise Air Forum link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

One possibility and I am being serious is that your physician might prescribe a drug that would relax you for the length of the flight.

DON

This! For the mainstream airlines that fly out of Chicago, there is very little difference in the experience for passengers in economy. Pick flights based on time, price and connections. Make sure you have a good length layover to avoid stress. 

Prescription medicines are serious business, and you should talk to your doctor, not randos on the internet. But if you are afraid of flying, benzos (eg Xanax, Valium) can make a world of difference. 

Edited by zekekelso

71!  You are too young for me :).  As to stress, that is truly a personal issue and you need to figure out the best way to deal with your own demons.   Flying Business Class in lay flat seats certainly changes the entire flying experience from one of dread to what can be a relaxing time to eat, drink, and sleep.   But we have sometimes seen "white knuckle" flyers even in Business Class.

Hank

You are not alone, Artcricket, flying is stressful for everyone. Take a nonstop flight to minimize aggravations. Fly business class, if you can and arrive in Athens a day or two early, if you can.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 8:01 AM, Artcricket said:

Howdy @Artcricket emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo34.gif  I see it has been a while since you posted on the boards.

Thank you for your new thread titled Flights to Athens from Chicago on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. 👍  However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your thread was off-topic there since your post concerns an airline recommendation. 

To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Cruise Air forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on this forum and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Be sure to use the Follow feature on this thread. That way you won't have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on this thread because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard the Cruise Critic message board! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

On 7/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, Artcricket said:

I don’t like to fly and am hoping someone can suggest the least stressful way to get there

I just did a quick search.  American Airlines has a non-stop from Chicago to Athens using 787 equipment.  They would have Business Class on a very modern airplane.  I think that might be less stressful for you.  

You may also want to consider the AA Premium Economy product, rather than their Flagship business class.

Punching in some random dates, I'm finding regular coach at about $1450 and premium for $1650 round-trip.  Non-stop business would be around $5350.

For an extra $100 each way, PE is a no-brainer in my book.  Wider seat with better recline, an extra free bag and priority security screening at ORD.  Can't believe there is that little of a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on Cruise Critic for quite awhile and didn't know this specific forum existed. I'm hoping that someone has flown Chicago to Athens with different airlines and can say which one has better service. Thank you FlyerTalker but I'm afraid I don't now what PE stands for. Also thank you rkacruiser for checking on fares - that is something I've been doing. I just haven't found any reviews lately - for any Airline - including Emirates - that has positive experiences. Even though our cruise - I am taking my family - isn't until late May, 2022 - with all of these COVID variants I'm wondering if it will even be practical then.