yacht club drinks (outside} is this a new policy today

deniseatnycs

We are booked on the Virtuosa from Genoa September 22nd so just called to make final payment and add insurance details.

As there is no facility online to upgrade the drinks package outside Yacht Club (confirmed when booking it would be the Easy package at the very least)  I enquired how much the upgrade would be for use in the bars and speciality restaurants outside Yacht club to be told this is not possible.

Today we are told, we are not allowed to drink in any of the bars outside Yacht Club or indeed use any of the Speciality Restaurants full stop!

Of course queried this as it was not what we booked and its been confirmed by "management".  Has anybody else been told this please?

No.  All my upcoming cruise reservations (not until 2022) show the following on drinks available throughout the ship.  Fifth bullet point under "Privileges."  I hope MSC is not stepping back to the YC limitations they had in 2016:

image.png.d3d109a21b08369066c61070ec92a484.png

Hi JAGR  that is the exact one I quoted back to her and she still disputed it and took it to management whom she "said" also disputed it saying I was reading it wrong.   I wonder if the calls are actually recorded as it would be good for someone to hear it in full.

Its all crazy those onboard the same ship now can get drinks all over the ship, without a problem.  I am trying a couple of email addresses as I don't have twitter, and thankyou for your response 

7 hours ago, deniseatnycs said:

....Today we are told, we are not allowed to drink in any of the bars outside Yacht Club or indeed use any of the Speciality Restaurants full stop!

Of course queried this as it was not what we booked and its been confirmed by "management".  Has anybody else been told this please?

This is fake news...trust me! You will be able to avail yourself of the same drinks when outwith the Yacht Club, do not fear! 😉

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  I was adamant that this was not the case but the Rep insisted and got heated about it.  Wish there was someway to be able to pass a copy of the telephone conversation on to someone in training,  Not too bothered now but at the time it was a tad upsetting to be told I didn't understand and that it was MSC policy.  Then  and to add to that being told to downgrade to Bella if I thought I would want to go anywhere else of the ship.

Much rather the answer that she just didn't know and to wait until we boarded.  Sufffice to say I told her I would ask on Cruise Critic as there is some excellent information on here 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deniseatnycs said:

Thank you everyone.  I was adamant that this was not the case but the Rep insisted and got heated about it.  Wish there was someway to be able to pass a copy of the telephone conversation on to someone in training,  Not too bothered now but at the time it was a tad upsetting to be told I didn't understand and that it was MSC policy.  Then  and to add to that being told to downgrade to Bella if I thought I would want to go anywhere else of the ship.

Much rather the answer that she just didn't know and to wait until we boarded.  Sufffice to say I told her I would ask on Cruise Critic as there is some excellent information on here 

My advice is to use your mobile phone when you call and tell the representative she/he is being recorded. Then you have an audio record of what was said. The rep, in short, was wrong. Also, at the risk of giving unsolicited advice, please consider getting a travel agent. These kinds of confusing conversations are EXACTLY why we have our travel agent take care of our reservations. I'd wager that the majority of people who have negative impressions of MSC pre-cruise are those who decided to "go it alone." The onboard experience on MSC is nothing short of wonderful, but the customer service issues beforehand can sour people (understandably).

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My advice is to use your mobile phone when you call and tell the representative she/he is being recorded. Then you have an audio record of what was said. The rep, in short, was wrong. Also, at the risk of giving unsolicited advice, please consider getting a travel agent. These kinds of confusing conversations are EXACTLY why we have our travel agent take care of our reservations. I'd wager that the majority of people who have negative impressions of MSC pre-cruise are those who decided to "go it alone." The onboard experience on MSC is nothing short of wonderful, but the customer service issues beforehand can sour people (understandably).

I must agree. My agent shutters when I want to book MSC. He knows that whenever he contacts them it's hit or miss on the wait times and what knowledge or lack of he'll get on the other end. Besides, you can usually get some extra perks when booking with an agent. OBC comes to mind with mine, depending on the line. 72 more days and Yacht Club here I come.😀

8 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

I must agree. My agent shutters when I want to book MSC. He knows that whenever he contacts them it's hit or miss on the wait times and what knowledge or lack of he'll get on the other end. Besides, you can usually get some extra perks when booking with an agent. OBC comes to mind with mine, depending on the line. 72 more days and Yacht Club here I come.😀

I've heard that from our agent, too. Fortunately, he and his wife also cruise with MSC. ☺️

We have about 44 days to go before our YC experience. It's been a rollercoaster ride due to European borders, Italian government requirements, changed/canceled sailings and airline flights.

• Like 1

I don't question what many of you are describing about MSC customer service, but I have never experience anything but excellent service directly from MSC staff. Have cruised four times with them...booking directly and they have moved staterooms, changed cruises and transferred deposits from one to the other. Every issue I have raised over the phone or on board has been handled fast and to my satisfaction. Just saying.

14 minutes ago, Barcelona17 said:

....I have never experience anything but excellent service directly from MSC staff. Have cruised four times with them...booking directly and they have moved staterooms, changed cruises and transferred deposits from one to the other. Every issue I have raised over the phone or on board has been handled fast and to my satisfaction. Just saying.

Me too, no complaints.

14 minutes ago, Barcelona17 said:

I don't question what many of you are describing about MSC customer service, but I have never experience anything but excellent service directly from MSC staff. Have cruised four times with them...booking directly and they have moved staterooms, changed cruises and transferred deposits from one to the other. Every issue I have raised over the phone or on board has been handled fast and to my satisfaction. Just saying.

To be fair I have to agree Barcelona.  Couple of hiccups over many many direct bookings but the OBC has more than made up for MSC's admitted mistakes.  This time was a whole new experience. one that I wouldn't like to be repeated especially for a new cruiser.  Will leave it until we board and report back and thanks everyone again for some excellent feedback