Departing Flight Time - Seattle

My return flight from Seattle was changed by the airline.  I can change it if I want, and am leaning that way, but wanted to get the input of others...

Had a 1:30pm non-stop home and they've moved me to a comparable 11:40am non-stop.  

I think I can make an 11:40am flight, since we dock at 7am, but wondering if check-in and security lines will mess that up.

None of the other flights are non-stop, so I'm looking at a minimum of 6hrs (vs 4hrs) + an hour layover, if I make a change.

Thoughts?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

My return flight from Seattle was changed by the airline.  I can change it if I want, and am leaning that way, but wanted to get the input of others...

Had a 1:30pm non-stop home and they've moved me to a comparable 11:40am non-stop.  

I think I can make an 11:40am flight, since we dock at 7am, but wondering if check-in and security lines will mess that up.

None of the other flights are non-stop, so I'm looking at a minimum of 6hrs (vs 4hrs) + an hour layover, if I make a change.

Thoughts?

When I look this up on HAL Flight Ease it lists 11 AM as the earliest departure time.  My flight is at 11:45.  To be sure, call HAL and ask them.  

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 1

I would be particularly cautious given all the uncertainty surrounding everything.  Who knows how long to clear a ship anymore.  Eventually we will establish a normal time but beware until that happens.

• Like 1

I had an 11:15 departure and I decided to change it as much as I hated to.  I just didn't want the stress of rushing after a relaxing vacation.  I'm a very anxious person about getting through all of the airport mess until I'm at my gate with a little time to spare.  Now I have all day to spare! lol

This is commonly discussed on the West Coast Departures board. 11am is the earliest recommended, but that was pre-Covid. We don't know how disembarkation will change. Yes, you can make that flight at 11:45.

Posted (edited)

I asked a similar question that is currently on page 7 called "Is noon too early to fly home from Seattle?"  There are three pages of responses if you wish to read them. We are using Port Valet and have TSA pre-check hoping to make reduced time at the airport.

Edited by farjar
spelling error
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

When I look this up on HAL Flight Ease it lists 11 AM as the earliest departure time.  My flight is at 11:45.  To be sure, call HAL and ask them.  

That’s what my TA did after my flight was changed from 11:40am to 11:11am. I’m comfortable with the time and keeping the new flight. (If it changes again to before 11am, I will have to find another flight. 😏)

I've always found Seatac to be a madhouse, and the security lines are ridiculous.  You may be able to make it but maybe not.  Don't know what will happen if the ship has to debark Covid-infected passengers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Thank you!  I'd found recommendations by Royal and NCL, but not HAL.

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I would be particularly cautious given all the uncertainty surrounding everything.  Who knows how long to clear a ship anymore.  Eventually we will establish a normal time but beware until that happens.

I think that's what's making me hesitate to keep this -- the great unknown of returning to travel and whether it will be what we recall or not.  Thanks for the response!

4 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I had an 11:15 departure and I decided to change it as much as I hated to.  I just didn't want the stress of rushing after a relaxing vacation.  I'm a very anxious person about getting through all of the airport mess until I'm at my gate with a little time to spare.  Now I have all day to spare! lol

Which is likely why I'll change this one ... I'm good at killing time at an airport, but not so good at handling a panic by cutting it too close (or worse).  Thanks for the response.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is commonly discussed on the West Coast Departures board. 11am is the earliest recommended, but that was pre-Covid. We don't know how disembarkation will change. Yes, you can make that flight at 11:45.

I figured that -- and also expected someone to mention it -- but nothing came up on a search, so here I am ...
I like your confidence, just not sure I share it :-}

1 minute ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

I think that's what's making me hesitate to keep this -- the great unknown of returning to travel and whether it will be what we recall or not.  Thanks for the response!

And that’s the conundrum.  Some are risk takers booking early and often.  Others are sitting back and watching.  It seems like we keep pushing our return to cruising out.  We just changed from a January 22 restart to February 22.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Which is likely why I'll change this one ... I'm good at killing time at an airport, but not so good at handling a panic by cutting it too close (or worse).  Thanks for the response.

Agree completely.  We would much rather sit longer in the airport then get acid drip 💧 worrying about making it to the airport.  Life is too short for such stress.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, farjar said:

I asked a similar question that is currently on page 7 called "Is noon too early to fly home from Seattle?"  There are three pages of responses if you wish to read them. We are using Port Valet and have TSA pre-check hoping to make reduced time at the airport.

Thanks!  I'll give those replies a look.  My search was basically 'departing flight times' but that question never came up.
I've got pre-check and plan to use Port Valet as well.  Funny though -- if my flight was noon or even five minutes before or after, I probably wouldn't be asking.  Just 15 minutes can make a difference!

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

That’s what my TA did after my flight was changed from 11:40am to 11:11am. I’m comfortable with the time and keeping the new flight. (If it changes again to before 11am, I will have to find another flight. 😏)

WOW...I know I'd change a flight at 11:11...just don't have the nerves of steel to ride that out.
Good luck to you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I've always found Seatac to be a madhouse, and the security lines are ridiculous.  You may be able to make it but maybe not.  Don't know what will happen if the ship has to debark Covid-infected passengers.

It's like you're reading my mind!  :-}

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

And that’s the conundrum.  Some are risk takers booking early and often.  Others are sitting back and watching.  It seems like we keep pushing our return to cruising out.  We just changed from a January 22 restart to February 22.

It is indeed!
And I'm not much of a risk taker in the "make my flight" category.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Thanks, everyone!
I've changed my flight -- now heading home at 12:50, but have to do an hour layover in Dallas.
Could have been worse...I'll still be able to check my bags on arrival (if Port Valet isn't an option).

Probably a good choice; I was on an airport site today and SEA recommends a 3hr checkin with bags and a 2hr without, this summer. Better to have a wait rather than miss the flight...

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Probably a good choice; I was on an airport site today and SEA recommends a 3hr checkin with bags and a 2hr without, this summer. Better to have a wait rather than miss the flight...

Exactly!  And thanks for sharing that.

I discussed it with Southwest & while its basic policy would be to fly me standby on a later flight (had I missed my original one), if it wasn't a non-stop (and there are no others at this time), the next leg might've been sold out, causing a whole other problem.

Luckily, I really am pretty good at killing time in an airport...used to do that a lot for work, so doing it when I'm on a pleasure trip is no big deal....I like to read ;-}

Yes with shortage of workers, TSA can be slow these days at SEA, and airlines too are short of pilots, flight crew, ground crew.  That means fewer flights, and more packed 100% full, thus fewer open seats on later flights to move you too if you miss your flight.  Good decision these days to choose a later flight, even though in the past I was casual - "Never rush to catch a plane, there is always a later flight."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, doctork said:

Yes with shortage of workers, TSA can be slow these days at SEA, and airlines too are short of pilots, flight crew, ground crew.  That means fewer flights, and more packed 100% full, thus fewer open seats on later flights to move you too if you miss your flight.  Good decision these days to choose a later flight, even though in the past I was casual - "Never rush to catch a plane, there is always a later flight."

Times have indeed changed.  And, yes, now that I've booked the later flight  I'm completely happy with it.  Have 57 days for them to change it again too ;-}