Princess Cruises Announces Discovery Princess Senior Officers

Astro Flyer

We are booked on Discovery Princess in Spring 2022 & until today’s News Release little information has been provided about the ship. Even the MC app doesn’t list Discovery Princess as the ship we’ll be sailing from LA. So this news release is reassuring that Discovery Princess will arrive in time for it’s first cruise scheduled on 3/1/22.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-announces-discovery-princess-senior-officers

Princess Cruises Announces Discovery Princess Senior Officers

Inaugural Discovery Princess Voyage Scheduled for Spring 2022 from the Port of Los Angeles

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., July 21, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- In fewer than 200 days, the newest Princess Cruises ship – Discovery Princess – will debut at the Port of Los Angeles in spring 2022, for an inaugural season of Mexican Riviera and California Coast cruises.

Discovery Princess is being built by Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri and will carry 3,660 guests. Captain Arma will officially bring the ship into service from the shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy, joined at the launch by an experienced team of executive officers, including Chief Engineer Vincenzo Alfi, Staff Captain Alessandro Genzo and Hotel General Manager Richard Harry. 

When Captain Arma is on leave, Captain John Smith will take over the navigation and leadership of Discovery Princess and serve together with Chief Engineer Tomislav Ljoka, Staff Captain Petar Lesic and Hotel General Manager Jasper Wolthuis.

• Thanks 2

We're booked on the Discovery in September of 22, and while I don't really care who the officers are, I'm really happy to see this since I've been wondering if the ship was going to be finished. Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. We booked twice on Discovery for next year, so this is good news. I enjoy reading the profiles of the senior officers, and am generally impressed with the years of service and accomplishments of these folks. 

5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We're booked on the Discovery in September of 22, and while I don't really care who the officers are, I'm really happy to see this since I've been wondering if the ship was going to be finished. Thanks for posting!

You’re welcome & looking forward to sailing on Discovery Princess.

The ship floated out in March 2021 a year before the inaugural cruise so it should be completed. It’ll be interesting to learn about the route the ship will sail to LA which has previously been debated on a CC thread.

• Like 1

Princess Captains Gennaro Arma and John Smith (from left to right)

Princess Cruises Announces the Senior Officers of Discovery Princess (click the bolded for link attached)

Captain Gennaro Arma will bring the ship from Italy to Los Angeles for her inaugural season and the relief captain will be Captain John Smith (most recently on the Grand Princess)

Note that Arma was supposed to be the relief captain for Enchanted, but given the pandemic debacle affecting deployment schedule and him being forced to handle the entire Diamond fiasco, I'm sure Princess wanted to hand him a nice present wrapped up with a bow on top just for him instead as a deserved gesture.

Arma --> Hotel Director Richard Harry

Smith --> Hotel Director Jasper Wolthuis

20 hours ago, MileHighAko said:

Thanks for sharing. We booked twice on Discovery for next year, so this is good news. I enjoy reading the profiles of the senior officers, and am generally impressed with the years of service and accomplishments of these folks. 

I also enjoy reading the senior officers’ profiles & both captains have experienced coronavirus outbreaks on their ships: Arma (Diamond); Smith (Grand).

20 hours ago, MileHighAko said:

Recent construction photo featured on the Princess Facebook page today.

9E620AC3-B9A3-477C-95EA-EC7B93FF6027.jpeg.a286c54b3571310f2d7936c90e5acd34.jpeg

Thanks…Discovery’s exterior doesn’t look much different than in March when they were painting the Sea Witch.

ECF725D9-4194-4D96-B665-B2B31EC3E22D.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer