Location Options for 3 nights Post-Cruise - Civitavecchia

wendycook22

Hi Everyone,

I am sailing out of Civitavecchia for a 10N Med cruise (other Italian ports are Naples, Livorno, and Messina).  We are thinking of staying two nights in Rome prior to sailing to take in the city sights.  Since we disembark on a Wednesday, we would like to take advantage of our time in Italy and stay 3 nights post cruise.  I am looking for recommendations.  Any insight on an area to extend our trip including accommodations, and transportation recommednations would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.  

Posted (edited)

Why not go back to Rome?  You could spend months there and not exhaust all there is to see, do and experience in the city and its immediate surroundings.  We can certainly suggest a day trip or two that can easily be done from Rome if you want to mix things up.

If you think about it, two nights in Rome prior to your cruise is really only one day.  You arrival day won't get you into town until afternoon, most likely, and you'll have jet lag to deal with if flying in from North America.  On the third day you're going to be focused on packing up and getting yourselves to Civitavecchia, so not much time then for Rome either.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

I agree with the Rome suggestion, for that exact reason. Been there 4 times for a total of about 15 days, and would go back in a heartbeat.

If you look around the board, you will find threads on Ostica, Lake Como and a few other locations. Staying in Civi would require a car rental for touring.

Nothing wrong with spending those three nights back in Rome but we tend to be more adventurous and prefer variety.   In the past we have simply rented a car (which we picked-up in Civitavecchia) and headed down to the Amalfi Coast for a few days.   On other trips we have driven to places in Tuscany and Umbria.  For those not wanting to drive in Italy there are still options using trains or hiring car/drivers but these are a bit more complicated but doable.    If you do stay in Rome you might want to consider taking a day trip out to Tivoli where you can enjoy Tivoli's beautiful Italian Gardens and also visit nearby Hadrian's Villa.   There are a few tour companies that offer such a day tour but you should check online to see the opening days/times of both those attractions.

Hank

It would be impossible for us to make a recommendation.  Far too many great options.   Rail or rental car.  Do not know what your preferences are.   

Tuscany, Umbria, Cinque Terre, Rome,  Florence.....all within reach by rail or car.

Our only advice is that three days is far too little.   Try and make it at least 5 or 7 days!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We've done this often,   We’ve gone south to Gaeta for a short trip,  and the area around Castle Gandalfo is on our list.  

But  our favourite is Umbria and Tuscany,  both a reasonable few hour drive from Civitavecchia.   Last time we discovered another new area Pitigliano and spend a few days there and then in Tuscany. Orvieto is also a great location to explore.   We rent a car in Civitavecchia and return to the Rome airport.   If this is in the fall I highly recommend Tuscany as it is truffle season and the food is incredible!

The  photos are from Pitigliano and near Pienza.  

97E0012A-E78F-4901-9E54-81ACA4A4945E.jpeg

EBE5DF16-7632-4853-82C9-732C8D2FF3A2.jpeg

4E0A7501-B4D3-4080-8868-33DFDBD521C9.jpeg

0FC11678-5383-4B1D-A4D5-A1C484B8B47A.jpeg

A5A9AD78-B8D2-4385-A76A-B9E70241F63C.jpeg

7CC7FB08-F567-4BDF-B911-2DE6134C7BE7.jpeg

C2C221C3-1424-4F4F-81A1-A61A52B34DFC.jpeg

FB26B4D8-E9D0-4461-B4A1-03A3FD60105E.jpeg

41A1C9C8-7CD1-4B40-B036-9901B769BEB6.jpeg

C430AE37-A0CC-483E-AB0E-AD06F60C8C6A.jpeg

187D00DD-9A76-4C1E-B12C-AF0308584556.jpeg

3D59BA63-FF8E-47E4-BFD8-7F91A4D377D6.jpeg

A723E969-0DEC-4506-94FB-B8A5C90CC4B8.jpeg

08E121CE-EC71-40F2-8F85-6523E647C402.jpeg

BE8C2EDB-36C1-4078-823E-02EDB35E8DC0.jpeg

91E7645E-EE30-4712-BDDE-8A01AC9A0E55.jpeg

E9AE22F1-1257-4C68-AE96-640F52F1F4D4.jpeg

Edited by bennybear

What is it like to drive from Civitavecchia to Tuscany?  I was interested in staying in the Tuscany area, but wasn't certain how doable it would be for 3 nights and then returning to to fly back home out of FCO.  

Is a day trip to Tuscany doable from Rome via rail?  We also like variety, and want to try and experience as much as we can.  Amalfi Coast also looks lovely, I just wasn't certain how rushed it would feel to travel there for a few nights with luggage and back to FCO.  

There will be 4 of us with large luggage.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

What is it like to drive from Civitavecchia to Tuscany?  I was interested in staying in the Tuscany area, but wasn't certain how doable it would be for 3 nights and then returning to to fly back home out of FCO.  

Is a day trip to Tuscany doable from Rome via rail?  We also like variety, and want to try and experience as much as we can.  Amalfi Coast also looks lovely, I just wasn't certain how rushed it would feel to travel there for a few nights with luggage and back to FCO.  

We’ve done it on several occasions both pre and post cruise.   Last time we picked up the car in Civitavecchia and spent several nights in Tuscany returning to F C O.   The driving is easy, mostly back roads, and  it takes a couple of hours depending where you stay.   With four and large luggage you will need to look carefully at vehicle size.   We have often rented Alpha Romeos and they are great, but there are just two of us.  We would highly recommend this.  

A day trip from Rome to Orvieto is easy to do in about an hour each way.   Although it is actually Umbria, it is a beautiful town with lots to see and a spectacular cathedral.   Both are good options but the freedom to explore the beautiful countryside of Tuscany makes a car preferable,IMO.  

image.thumb.png.53aa269ab56ac451b5b4da505e859cbd.png

Edited by bennybear

9 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Alternatively, if you don't feel like driving, Florence is only about 90 minutes by high-speed train. Florence is in Tuscany, but it certainly isn't "Tuscany" -- exploring Tuscany could take weeks. You can do a day-trip to Florence by train, no car needed. But if you want to stay in Florence for several days and see some of Tuscany you'll probably need either a car, a private driver, or a couple of day tours (plenty of choices).

I don't like driving and don't rent cars anywhere I travel, but I have managed to get just about anywhere I want to go using a combination of the trains (very good), buses (less easy but sometimes a good option for a short-hop), taxis and private drivers. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Driving in Italy varies from the relatively easy to somewhat terrifying :).  From Civitavecchia to Tuscany it is not difficult as long as you have GPS (a working phone will do the trick) and be careful if planning to drive into larger cities such as Florence.  Driving back to FCO is quite easy although finding the rental car agency (almost always hid in a large airport parking garage) takes a little homework.   

But you should understand that "Tuscany" comprises a huge area which has some cities (such as Florence) and a lot more rural areas.  So when you say "drive to Tuscany" it is like asking you what its like to drive to Ontario!  Also consider that when you use trains you are limited to only the places where a train goes but would still need a car or a tour to see most of rural Tuscany.  Even visiting a well known place like San Gimignano cannot be done by train (unless you connect to a regional bus) but is easy if you have a car.

As to the Amalfi Coast, if you have a few nights it is doable although you have the same issue of the best way to get to that part of Italy.  We prefer to have a car, others prefer to be on a tour, use a train to either Naples or Sorrento from where you need other transportation, or use a combination of transport and also look towards ferries. 

IMHO (having done both) accessing Tuscany is somewhat easier then dealing with the Amalfi Coast although I am comfortable with a car going to either region.

Hank

On 7/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, Hlitner said:

Even visiting a well known place like San Gimignano cannot be done by train (unless you connect to a regional bus) but is easy if you have a car.

Astonishingly, I've managed to get there twice by bus!  😉

Also had the good luck not to be there where it was totally swamped with tourists on bus tours. One Sunday morning I almost felt like the town was deserted, then the church bells started ringing and all the locals poured out.

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Astonishingly, I've managed to get there twice by bus!  😉

Also had the good luck not to be there where it was totally swamped with tourists on bus tours. One Sunday morning I almost felt like the town was deserted, then the church bells started ringing and all the locals poured out.

San G has long been a favorite place for both DW and myself but we dislike being there during the daytime when the walled town is overrun with daytrippers.   However, by 5pm the day folks are all long gone and then the town is transformed into a wonderful place.  A few years ago we spent a week at a nearby hotel about 2 miles out of town and fell in love with the region.  One beautiful night, DW and I walked out of a San G restaurant around 10 pm (after a long dinner) and found ourselves in the streets without a single soul in sight.  We slowly walked through the town with the old fashioned street lights and strange shadows and it was one of those special moments that travel lovers covet.  At the time DW thought that this is what it must have looked like hundreds of years ago with the eerie lights playing off the streets and buildings.  Those that have only been to the town during the crowded daytime would not even recognize the streets late at night.    We have since talked about renting an apartment (for a week) in the town and that is still our our "list" for the next time we are doing an extended driving trip in Italy.

Hank

Thank you everyone!  You have all provided me with some great information and options.  🙂  
it will help us make a well informed decision on how to map out our trip.   It is greatly appreciated.     

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are actually going to be doing this after our cruise. Right now the is to take the train down to Salerno and the bus or ferry over to Maiori and spend three nights on the Amalfi Coast. 

• Like 1

Ok, you've piqued my interest in the SanG and Volterra area!  

I will be ending a cruise in Venice (whichever port is substiituted ) in Sept 2022 and will immediately train to Florence for 3 nights.  Now i'm thinking of getting a rental car nr Florence Airport and taking an overnight trip to see the countryside.  Will using Florence Airport help me to avoid city driving?

And can you recommend a hotel in Volterra, SanG or a nearby small town please?  Somewhere that I could enjoy a nice dinner in town and wander around in the evening ....without driving several miles back  to my hotel.  Thx !