We have reached a new low

bitob

Cut off jean shorts in waterside at dinner 

I inquired 

they are not allowed to prohibit entrance based on attire. They can only suggest a guest change into appropriate attire 

Reflections says “suggested” attire as one attorney/guest told them. 

they need to do what other lines do and say shorts etc not permitted. 

we now have workout clothes at tea as well

I am no snob but there are many first time crystal cruisers on these cruises who come from lines that do not have any requirements at all.   
it is going to get worse 

the staff is not happy about it but their hands are tied 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve seen athletic clothes at tea a million times.  IIRC, it has standard daytime attire, which allows that.

It’s also always been suggested or recommended attire.  I just looked at the original dress code from 1990, and it doesn’t contain the word required even once — only “recommend” one one “request”.  If anything, the current dress code at least has a couple of specific things that are “not permitted”.  Unfortunately, they can suggest a guest not wear shorts, but it requires some participation on the guest’s part in order to really be effective.  A cruise line’s options for dress code enforcement are different than a restaurant on land.

Vince

I have been on other lines whose daily bulletins specifically prohibit shorts etc  in dining room and evening venues and passengers are denied entry if they don’t comply

if crystal is not proactive on this issue it will get worse 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I’ve seen athletic clothes at tea a million times.  IIRC, it has standard daytime attire, which allows that.

guilty!!!  I look quite nice in my active leisure apparel …not sweaty gym clothes!!!

Nancy 

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, bitob said:

if crystal is not proactive on this issue it will get worse 

There are LITERALLY dozens of threads on this board saying that over the past couple decades (roughly).  And yet, what, a pair of denim shorts in Waterside and a misunderstanding of what the dress code at tea is?

Is the sky REALLY falling??

I would never wear shorts to dinner, BUT…. Was it a port day?  It’s an all-casual cruise.  It’s July… In the Bahamas.  If someone was wearing denim shorts to dinner, in that context, I probably wouldn’t even notice, personally.  Not condoning it, but hardly the hill I want to die on either.  

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion though.

Vince

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, nancygp said:

guilty!!!  I look quite nice in my active leisure appareal…not sweaty gym clothes!!!

Nancy 

You certainly do, Nancy!   😍 You epitomize Crystal’s daytime dress code!

Vince

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have seen this on other Crystal seven-day cruises before I am afraid.  On an Alaska cruise in 2019 where we seated for dinner next to a table of six during what would have been a BTO night.  Three of the six were wearing their baseball uniform hats in Waterside at dinner.  We asked to be and were moved to another table.

Some old time Crystal passengers may remember the final segment of the world cruise in 2003.  A family was using the ship to move from Australia to the USA -- and basically chose to flaunt just about every rule and/or "suggestion" regarding behavior and dress.  They were banned from the MDR about halfway to Hawaii, and were put off the ship in Honolulu, rather than sailing all the way to Los Angeles.

Standards can be enforced.  It merely requires the decision to do so, and the actual enforcement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Halfmoonfan said:

We have seen this on other Crystal seven-day cruises before I am afraid.  On an Alaska cruise in 2019 where we seated for dinner next to a table of six during what would have been a BTO night.  Three of the six were wearing their baseball uniform hats in Waterside at dinner.  We asked to be and were moved to another table.

You weren't even sitting at the same table yet having them next to you was going to annoy you so much that you had to change tables???

• Like 5

Keep enjoying the cruise.

My experience is in Waterside and the former Crystal Dining Room they were indeed limited on enforcing the code although I do remember several years ago when they did have the support from land to enforce it but even then some decided not to.   One of the reasons is not to have a confrontation and one time I saw one and it was sad to see a guest screaming at a Maitre d' (back then Maitre d').

WIth that said I have seen the recommended attire enforced in Prego with some guests asked to change if they wanted to dine there.

Keith

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Some old time Crystal passengers may remember the final segment of the world cruise in 2003.  A family was using the ship to move from Australia to the USA -- and basically chose to flaunt just about every rule and/or "suggestion" regarding behavior and dress.  They were banned from the MDR about halfway to Hawaii, and were put off the ship in Honolulu, rather than sailing all the way to Los Angeles.

Standards can be enforced.  It merely requires the decision to do so, and the actual enforcement.

Of course they can, but my point was that the bar is a LOT higher than ‘someone wore shorts on a hot and humid all-casual cruise.’

IME, the standard on a common carrier is the clothing either has to cause disruption (including being clearly indecent or offensive) or safety issues for the offending passenger or others.  I know everyone can make a case for how shorts can cause both, but most common carriers have specific internal policy guidance on how to define each to help minimize liability.

Vince

9 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

How did his/her legs look?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

There was also two in booty shorts they walked by so we noted it. 

Did not effect us.  We are doing our best to follow the rules and we are happy that we are on this ship and have met a lot of nice people.   We are sure we have a few non fans but thank you to all for making our cruise great 

• Like 4

A friend of ours was refused service in the Cove once when he returned from a Shorex because he still had on his perfectly nice bermuda shorts. But the 2 big tatted guys wearing "wife beaters" in the Bistro at breakfast were not confronted even after I complained. Not a sight I welcomed over my morning coffee. Once in a while the code is enforced but usually no one confronts the perps.

• Like 2

Interesting!  Once (about 5 years ago) I was sailing on RCC with my nephew and his children to Bermuda.  We entered the dining room in our Bermuda shorts and even on RCC were refused seating, as they did not allow men to wear shorts in the dining room.

Enforcement is what the front desk makes it!

• Like 2

Do I like people not following the dress codes - no but I wouldn't let it ruin my cruise or even that meal or day.  People are who they are and I just won't let that ruin my day.. Crystal is so much more than dress code at dinner or tea

• Like 2

I'm not a snob but I did say on posts ages ago when crystal posted 7 day sailings in the Caribbean at the silly low fares that it would attract another class of passenger..when I looked at the people posting & looked at there favourite cruise lines well I rest my case ...I agree bitbob there's a time and place ...we have several ups& downs on the silversea site ref to dress code & it's never ending...

My husband & I always luv to dress for dinner .ok little more relaxed at lunch but even then very smart ... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Do I like people not following the dress codes - no but I wouldn't let it ruin my cruise or even that meal or day.  People are who they are and I just won't let that ruin my day.. Crystal is so much more than dress code at dinner or tea

Yes part agree crystal more then dress code but it's that part what makes for a special cruise ..any one can do casual ( not my husband through.. Jacket & tie on casual night) we will soon be on the road of  the major lines anything goes!!!( Nothing wrong with them started my cruising life 32 years ago with them but have moved on from shorts .flip flops at dinner ... You have been warned 😉👔👔 as the dowager countess of Grantham ( downtown Abbey) would say New money ..

54 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

A friend of ours was refused service in the Cove once when he returned from a Shorex because he still had on his perfectly nice bermuda shorts. But the 2 big tatted guys wearing "wife beaters" in the Bistro at breakfast were not confronted even after I complained. Not a sight I welcomed over my morning coffee. Once in a while the code is enforced but usually no one confronts the perps.

Probably because sleeveless t-shirts are ALLOWED in the Bistro in the morning.

9 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I'm not a snob but I did say on posts ages ago when crystal posted 7 day sailings in the Caribbean at the silly low fares that it would attract another class of passenger..when I looked at the people posting & looked at there favourite cruise lines well I rest my case ...

Was 3 reports of shorts in the first 1,800+ passengers what you were afraid of?  I'm not really convinced yet that's different from other tropical summer cruises.

Vince

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Probably because sleeveless t-shirts are ALLOWED in the Bistro in the morning.

Was 3 reports of shorts in the first 1,800+ passengers what you were afraid of?  I'm not really convinced yet that's different from other tropical summer cruises.

Vince

I'm not afraid of anything Vince just had my say on the thread from bitbob ...

Yes my husband & I are old school with dress attire and will remain to do so ...

If crystal does go down the road of the big cruise lines then we look for something else or just stay in the fabulous Mediterranean land base ...

Again not afraid BWIVince each to his own... By the way how far is stevensville from you??

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I'm not a snob but I did say on posts ages ago when crystal posted 7 day sailings in the Caribbean at the silly low fares that it would attract another class of passenger..when I looked at the people posting & looked at there favourite cruise lines well I rest my case ...I agree bitbob there's a time and place ...we have several ups& downs on the silversea site ref to dress code & it's never ending...

My husband & I always luv to dress for dinner .ok little more relaxed at lunch but even then very smart ... 

Not everyone who can typically not afford Crystal is a different "class" of passenger. M. Ed, 37 years teaching Latin in a private school, (thus the not being able to afford,) love to get dressed up. Looking forward to my first Crystal experience.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am certainly in support of being compliant with dress codes during cruises, but personally,  I am not bothered by people who fail to comply with them.  I just don't think it is worth my time to worry about what others are doing, as long as it does not affect my safety and/or well-being.  I certainly do not feel that I am paying Crystal to make sure my fellow guests are going to behave in a way I want them to.  I would go further to say that if non-compliance of dress codes can only bother you if you allow it to bother you.  Furthermore, I do not feel that my willingness to comply with the dress code makes me a higher class of a human being.

Edited by Psoque
more info
  • Like 7