We have reached a new low

bitob

Posted (edited)

I adapt to the rules, regulations or advisements to where I am. Before I booked I read and realized that I wouldn't be wearing my rock n roll shirts on Crystal. I have about 20 designers suits at home and won't be bringing any but out of RESPECT I will be dressing modestly in polo style shirts and pants. If people can't even buy basic polo shirts at any clothing store for 10-20.00 or some slacks stay home. Or enjoy many hobo lines available. That's my rant.

Scott 

Edited by si4444
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

I am so tired of dealing with rule breakers in all aspects of life these days.  This “all about me” attitude is driving me crazy. 😩😝🤨

+1 !!!   Sick of the ongoing sense of entitlement!!!!

Nancy

• Like 11

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Probably because sleeveless t-shirts are ALLOWED in the Bistro in the morning.

Was 3 reports of shorts in the first 1,800+ passengers what you were afraid of?  I'm not really convinced yet that's different from other tropical summer cruises.

Vince

They weren't sleeveless teeshirts, they were skinny strap wrestler tops, sometimes known as "wife beaters". Hairy chests and backs clearly visible. Those shirts belong only in a gym.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lvshack said:

I'm not a snob but I did say on posts ages ago when crystal posted 7 day sailings in the Caribbean at the silly low fares that it would attract another class of passenger..when I looked at the people posting & looked at there favourite cruise lines well I rest my case ...I agree bitbob there's a time and place ...we have several ups& downs on the silversea site ref to dress code & it's never ending...

My husband & I always luv to dress for dinner .ok little more relaxed at lunch but even then very smart ... 

Well thank you for noticing us different class of passengers. You don't know when I started cruising or on other lines. At The end of the month my money is still green and we all bleed and die the same.  Hope your enjoying your trip 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, si4444 said:

I adapt to the rules, regulations or advisements to where I am. Before I booked I read and realized that I wouldn't be wearing my rock n roll shirts on Crystal. I have about 20 designers suits at home and won't be bringing any but out of RESPECT I will be dressing modestly in polo style shirts and pants. If people can't even buy basic polo shirts at any clothing store for 10-20.00 or some slacks stay home. Or enjoy many hobo lines available. That's my rant.

Scott 

Love it 

1 hour ago, suzeluvscruz said:

They weren't sleeveless teeshirts, they were skinny strap wrestler tops, sometimes known as "wife beaters". Hairy chests and backs clearly visible. Those shirts belong only in a gym.

And you see this on airplanes!!! 😖😫

Nancy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jdfireman said:

Well thank you for noticing us different class of passengers. You don't know when I started cruising or on other lines. At The end of the month my money is still green and we all bleed and die the same.  Hope your enjoying your trip 

Good for you ..and by the way I'm not cruising at the moment ... No harm ment...

Posted (edited)

All the chat about showing too much skin reminded me of when Crystal leased out one if the ship to an all nude cruise.  Then the conversation was about sitting on chairs during the following cruises.  

Edited by Travel2Learn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Like many I have peeves but not many are clothing related. I do my best then just enjoy seeing those who can pull off some really nice attire! Hard line is drawn on bathrobes in public venues (aside from the spa). Apparently that is a thing on some other lines. Saw that once and was flabbergasted. I don't know, it should have an exception for someone who is infirm, however that one crosses a line if general practice.

I do remember seeing a portly man who used to wear his silk robe around in the mornings, years ago. Then a few years ago there was a woman in the Bistro in her bathrobe and slippers. Tee shirts are fine but really, must they really be undershirts?

A little decorum goes a long way!

5 hours ago, si4444 said:

Scott 

I agree...  But I don't think buying polos is the issue in this particular case.  Two of my last three cruises on Crystal were tropical, and I almost always wear polos onboard during the day (as a lot of people here know).  I got a lot of comments on both cruises from people who thought I was insane not to be wearing something cooler for the 90 degree and swampy climate.  Most guests were in t-shirts.  Really, almost everyone but me was in a t-shirt.  And these were normally priced pre-Covid cruises.

It's 88 degrees and 68% humidity in Nassau right now.  To a lot of people -- especially under the age of 50 -- that doesn't say "beach day in polo".

2 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

The problem is there's a difference between tacky and forbidden.  T-shirts of any configuration without offensive content are allowed in the Bistro in the morning -- even wife beaters.  I'm not advocating for them, I'm just saying you can't throw someone out based on that style under the current policy, without getting someone from upper management up there to evaluate the situation and develop a mitigation plan based on some extenuating circumstance outside the policy.

Vince

• Like 1

I know I repeat myself but at this stage you just have to ignore what others are wearing and have a good time.

Covid-19 should be a reminder that in a blink of an eye cruising stops.  And the new variant has me concerned.

So don't worry what others do. Be happy you are cruising and enjoy.

People throughout the history of the world have pushed things to the limit.

Even Adam and Eve might have been over the top and I don't think they dressed in Crystal Casual. 

Keith

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

I know I repeat myself but at this stage you just have to ignore what others are wearing and have a good time.

Covid-19 should be a reminder that in a blink of an eye cruising stops.  And the new variant has me concerned.

So don't worry what others do. Be happy you are cruising and enjoy.

People throughout the history of the world have pushed things to the limit.

Even Adam and Eve might have been over the top and I don't think they dressed in Crystal Casual. 

Keith

Adam & eve were dressed appropriately. I understand it was Fig Leaf Optional.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ah well, might as well weigh in.

This thread reminds me just how hard it is to convey the ambience of any particular cruise, on any particular line (it would all be so much easier if everyone's first cruise on a line was their second, if you know what I mean.)

So anyway, for us:

We're usually on Crystal for a warm weather cruise, lots of times the Caribbean.  During the day, we dress very casually.  How casually?  Well, if we met on our last cruise you might have concluded I brought nothing other than "Washington Nationals 2019 World Series Champs" t-shirts.   Hey, that MLB logo stuff is expensive.

However, if we were having breakfast or lunch in Waterside, the main dining room, I was in a sport shirt and dress shorts.  But everywhere else, during the day, it was Washington Nationals all the way.

Next caveat: I think the magic hour is 6 PM.  That's when the baseball cap comes off, the Nats gear hits the laundry bag and, like most folks on board, we spiff up a bit.

So that's my contribution to muddying the waters.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Ah well, might as well weigh in.

This thread reminds me just how hard it is to convey the ambience of any particular cruise, on any particular line (it would all be so much easier if everyone's first cruise on a line was their second, if you know what I mean.)

So anyway, for us:

We're usually on Crystal for a warm weather cruise, lots of times the Caribbean.  During the day, we dress very casually.  How casually?  Well, if we met on our last cruise you might have concluded I brought nothing other than "Washington Nationals 2019 World Series Champs" t-shirts.   Hey, that MLB logo stuff is expensive.

However, if we were having breakfast or lunch in Waterside, the main dining room, I was in a sport shirt and dress shorts.  But everywhere else, during the day, it was Washington Nationals all the way.

Next caveat: I think the magic hour is 6 PM.  That's when the baseball cap comes off, the Nats gear hits the laundry bag and, like most folks on board, we spiff up a bit.

Sounds reasonable to me, other than the wording on your daytime tee shirt.

Patty

Houston Astros Fan😊😜😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Like KenzSailing, I’ll weigh in too.

First segment of World Cruise 2018 (back me up here Terry, if you were witness)…an absolutely stunning young woman (like really young) and her dad?  husband? travel companion? approach Waterside as Tim and I are enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail in the Cove. She’s in a lovely sparkly top, 6 inch Louboutin heels and short shorts…like really short. . Me: “This should be interesting”  Tim: “10 bucks she’s in”.

Timmy won.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, krb1000 said:

First segment of World Cruise 2018 (back me up here Terry, if you were witness)…an absolutely stunning young woman (like really young) and her dad?  husband? travel companion? approach Waterside as Tim and I are enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail in the Cove. She’s in a lovely sparkly top, 6 inch Louboutin heels and short shorts…like really short. . Me: “This should be interesting”  Tim: “10 bucks she’s in”.

Timmy won.

Yes - that’s the example I’ve quoted several times when people start talking about dress codes

I’m with Timmy - She wore it well! I think my friends comment was something along the lines of of “did you see that!!!” - we both laughed 

It was her husband by the way - they were full WCers from Brazil - he was an officer in one of the Military Services and wore his uniform on BTO nights. We got to know them during the World Games - they were a lovely couple but spoke limited English so the conversations weren’t long but lots of laughter

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Sounds reasonable to me, other than the wording on your daytime tee shirt.

Patty

Houston Astros Fan😊😜😏

Hey, I left the dual-can beer hard hat at home.  (To be clear, this is hyperbole.)

15 minutes ago, krb1000 said:

Like KenzSailing, I’ll weigh in too.

Timmy won.

Why am I never on these cruises?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting, I assumed it was Required. With that said I don’t care what people are wearing. But on NCL once we tried going into the dining room for lunch and we were not permitted because my husband didn’t have on a collared shirt. So he had to go back and change.

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

So anyway, for us:

OK - so you'll see me in my Phillies 1980 WS Champs shirt  (I don't have one from 2008). Alternatively, most of my T-shirts are related to the Ocean - Octopus, Sharks, Seahorses  - all purchased to help support our Aquarium ...and  more appropriate for being at Sea.  🙂   

11 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

A friend of ours was refused service in the Cove once when he returned from a Shorex because he still had on his perfectly nice bermuda shorts. But the 2 big tatted guys wearing "wife beaters" in the Bistro at breakfast were not confronted even after I complained. Not a sight I welcomed over my morning coffee. Once in a while the code is enforced but usually no one confronts the perps.

If before 6 pm as long as I am not naked I am dressed.

I get all the drinks I want in my day clothes while people are dressed up fir dinner.  

does it really matter before 6?

as far as shorts at dinner if dressed correctly he would have on knee socks.

Our male friend wore tailored shorts to dinner at Silk on our Serenity cruise in September 2019, and he was politely but firmly told that shorts were not permitted. He complied that night and for the rest of  the cruise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gwesq said:

OK - so you'll see me in my Phillies 1980 WS Champs shirt  (I don't have one from 2008). Alternatively, most of my T-shirts are related to the Ocean - Octopus, Sharks, Seahorses  - all purchased to help support our Aquarium ...and  more appropriate for being at Sea.  🙂   

I don't have a WS Champ shirt for my team (MN Twins 1991) however I just put in an order for a couple of shirts from the "Bimini Shark Lab". You can also get yourself a shirt or cap from the BSL bonfire.com site online (just search).

In a way, I’m sorry to be reading all of this.  My first cruise on Crystal is coming up in a month and I was looking forward to a relaxed and casual return to cruising.  Personally, I really don’t much care what others are wearing (as long as they’re wearing something) and if they’re attire is too offensive I may choose to not socialize with them.  But it certainly won’t ruin my cruise experience.  Don’t these complainers have anything else to do?  And is it so horrible to wear tasteful shorts to breakfast before getting off the ship in hot, humid weather?  Assuming that we find some islands that will let us dock.  Maybe we’ll end up going to Staten Island.

Back in the day we packed with more clothes than I care to remember.  Elegant gowns with shoes and purses to match, tux with all the goodies, outfits for daytime, night, morning, pool, beach, tours, etc.  dressing for the night in a tux and a gown for TW was enjoyable but times have changed.  And I don’t risk getting a hernia just from getting the luggage down the stairs.

let’s all relax, enjoy this cruise and don’t let the behavior of some passengers who look at things through different color lenses ruin your experience.  To be honest, I have been known to erar shorts to breakfast but still manage to eat my food with silverware instead of my fingers.

• Like 10