We have reached a new low

bitob

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 PM, bitob said:

Cut off jean shorts in waterside at dinner 

I inquired 

they are not allowed to prohibit entrance based on attire. They can only suggest a guest change into appropriate attire 

Reflections says “suggested” attire as one attorney/guest told them. 

they need to do what other lines do and say shorts etc not permitted. 

we now have workout clothes at tea as well

I am no snob but there are many first time crystal cruisers on these cruises who come from lines that do not have any requirements at all.   
it is going to get worse 

the staff is not happy about it but their hands are tied 

While i read this all I can think about is the struggles of the upper middle class. It’s 2021, everyone wears athleisure now. Can’t wait to offend the professional working classes with our modern signs of wealth… and yes I have been on Crystal before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Guess you’re going to be disappointed when you come across me then - shorts, polo or t shirt and flip flops are my daytime (pre 6pm) go to wardrobe. I’m on holiday on a cruise and not at a local country club

I just can’t get over how what others choose to wear that complies with an establishments dress code should be of any concern to others or cause them distress 

I was at my local country club today, where I am a member, in gym shorts and a tee shirt. And it’s not one of these cheap easy to get into ones either.

Funny no one seems to care… so yea.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coold8 said:

While i read this all I can think about is the struggles of the upper middle class. It’s 2021, everyone wears athleisure now. Can’t wait to offend the professional working classes with our modern signs of wealth… and yes I have been on Crystal before.

No everyone does not wear athleisure wear now.  I don’t, my family don’t and my friends don’t unless actually working out.  My country club enforces their dress code and ath leisure is not allowed in the Dining room at any time.   So glad you are looking forward to offending people. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, Keith1010 said:

I know I repeat myself but at this stage you just have to ignore what others are wearing and have a good time.

Covid-19 should be a reminder that in a blink of an eye cruising stops.  And the new variant has me concerned.

So don't worry what others do. Be happy you are cruising and enjoy.

People throughout the history of the world have pushed things to the limit.

Even Adam and Eve might have been over the top and I don't think they dressed in Crystal Casual. 

Keith

Thank you for saying what I’ve been thinking while reading this thread. I’m pleased that all Crystal cruisers are not so concerned about attire .
I will be on my first Crystal cruise next year and it will only be for one week. I can also assure everyone I know how to dress appropriately and will do so. 
with that being said, I have appreciated all the answers to my many questions concerning my upcoming cruise. 

Isn't the whole point of the discussion  about people who either don't know or deliberately go against the suggested rules or guidelines. I'm much more comfy in my Iron Maiden or Pink Floyd shirt and shorts but even as an invited guest I'm still a guest It's not my home so out of respect for the company I conform to the suggested attire. PERSONALLY it doesn't offend me seeing people underdressed or looking sharp in tuxes. It makes for great conversation but it's about respect. 

• Like 2

As we’ve seen in this thread though, half the problem is that people are perceiving disrespect because they don’t understand what the dress code allows in the first place, or feel like, “sure they’re allowed to wear that, but I don’t feel that they should anyway.”  …Or even worse, “they didn’t used to allow that, so I feel they shouldn’t be allowed to wear it now even though it’s permitted.”

There’s no fix for that.

Vince

• Like 3

This is a really disturbing thread. Mind your own business is a theme we should all remember.

body shaming “obese” is terrible. I just cannot fathom how what someone else wears is impactful to YOUR vacation. 

do better

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tinaincc said:

This is a really disturbing thread. Mind your own business is a theme we should all remember.

body shaming “obese” is terrible. I just cannot fathom how what someone else wears is impactful to YOUR vacation. 

do better

I am with you.  I was on this cruise and know who he is speaking of - what if she is reading this, too?   I can’t believe how ridiculous some of these posters are.  We were all on the same cruise and paid the same amount, and they act like they are better than others.  Here is my perspective on it - the “regular” crystal cruisers are finding it difficult to stomach that people 30 and 40 years younger than they are can pay for and cruise on the same ship.  They are putting down other cruise lines - but most of the first timers have children at home still and generally take them on cruises.  I actually thought it was a sub par cruise and ship compared to our normal lives at home and the trips we generally take.  But, to hear them speak, it’s too nice for most other people.   I’m just shaking my head right now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:51 AM, Keith1010 said:

Keep enjoying the cruise.

My experience is in Waterside and the former Crystal Dining Room they were indeed limited on enforcing the code although I do remember several years ago when they did have the support from land to enforce it but even then some decided not to.   One of the reasons is not to have a confrontation and one time I saw one and it was sad to see a guest screaming at a Maitre d' (back then Maitre d').

WIth that said I have seen the recommended attire enforced in Prego with some guests asked to change if they wanted to dine there.

Keith

same here - see below

On 7/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Cruisemonty said:

Our male friend wore tailored shorts to dinner at Silk on our Serenity cruise in September 2019, and he was politely but firmly told that shorts were not permitted. He complied that night and for the rest of  the cruise.

We were on this cruise with a boarding time of 5pm and reservations at 6pm at Umi Uma. We upgraded rooms upon embarkation. When it came time for dinner our bags had not arrived. I was in a dress but my husband was in nice khaki shorts. He was denied entrance. We explained our situation but we’re turned away. Since we were in a suite we were told we could either go back and wait for luggage or eat in our room. We went back and waited for luggage to arrive then went back and enjoyed our meal.

Fast forward to Wednesday when we were back in UMI Uma and a woman walked across the dining room in short shorts and joined her table of 7. I noticed not because I cared what she was wearing but because their was a double standard.

• Like 2

Considering the current situation with Crystal, I think you could enter wearing roundhouse bib overalls with no shirt and chewing on a piece of straw and you would be welcomed like a long lost relative by staff.  

On 7/25/2021 at 4:37 AM, BWIVince said:

As we’ve seen in this thread though, half the problem is that people are perceiving disrespect because they don’t understand what the dress code allows in the first place, or feel like, “sure they’re allowed to wear that, but I don’t feel that they should anyway.”  …Or even worse, “they didn’t used to allow that, so I feel they shouldn’t be allowed to wear it now even though it’s permitted.”

There’s no fix for that.

Vince

Vince,

I don't think I've ever agreed with a post more!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1