Jump to content

Celebrity Edge 7/10-7/17


Recommended Posts

Just returning from a wonderful vacation on the Celebrity Edge July 10-17 for my birthday:



Given that we live in Alaska we flew in early as we usually do.  This was the first time we have ever used Celebrity travel for our flight but given concerns something could cancel we chose to allow them to handle the flight.  It was really a great flight we paid 100.00 more a person for first class and we cut our flying/airport time by 7 hours.  We flew from Anchorage to Chicago and Chicago to Fort Lauderdale.  We flew on United but preferred the longer initial flight to stopping in Seattle which is our normal itinerary on Alaska Air.  We had reservations at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and were very happy with the accommodations.  We had a beautiful view from our room and saw 2 cruise ships just offshore when we stepped on the balcony which only heightened our cruise anticipation after 18 months.  The room had a huge, jetted tub and separate oversized shower, microwave/minifridge and a large TV.  We had to wait a little for our room to be ready, so we decided to eat at the pool restaurant.  Never dreaming it would be anything special we were shocked to get a watermelon feta salad, and Seared Scallops with glazed pork belly.    Dave had lobster roll and fries.  After we decided to have a swim and a soak in the hot tub to prevent falling asleep too early.  Later in the evening we ordered dinner from PF Chang’s as this is something we cannot get in Alaska and a restaurant we really both enjoy.  The bed was so soft I fell asleep almost before my head hit the pillow.



We woke up early and I took a long soak in the amazing tub while we prepared for our great trip.  Had breakfast at the wonderful poolside restaurant that was included crab and lobster omelet.  I never thought that would appeal to me, but it was amazing.  We had arranged to have a town SUV pick us up at 1030 and we were soon off to the port.  On our way to the port, we found out a bomb threat had been called to the airport and they had cleared out two terminals.  The man was mad because he was going to have to check his carry on apparently.  The bomb threat delayed our departure until around 715 pm but we still left and that is what is important.  We got to the port close to 1100 but were not allowed to enter the terminal until noon (even as suite guests).  This was something we were not used to but understood why it was necessary.  We knew it was a risk coming early but did not care just wanted to be close to the ship.  Once they opened the port doors, we were in the lounge in about 7 minutes (just showed our vaccine card and we were in the elevator).  We were checked in while we sat in a chair in the suite lounge drinking tea and eating gluten free coconut macaroons.  Within a few minutes we were on the ship.  Dave ran to the room to get our cards and I went to Fine Cut (we were trying to book dinner on the edge, but they are not offering it right now).  Since that was our muster station I just waited on Dave, and we did our muster station and signed up for dinner.  They were running a suite half price special on boarding day.  After we went back to room and met Ben our butler, he walked us to lunch a Lumanae.  The burger was everything everyone said it was and Dave had a lobster roll.  We went back to our luggage already in the room, unpacked and headed to the pool.  Spent a wonderful afternoon swimming, we changed and headed to hear the comedian that is wonderful (and I am not a comedian fan normally).  Dinner at Fine Cut was a delightful experience and then to the martini bar for a show and great music!!  Finally got in bed around 1230 Monday morning and was sound asleep to the gentle rocking of the ship in a matter of minutes


First Sea Day:

We woke up early due to a change in time and our schedule being confused being from Alaska.  Around 8 am Ben (the butler) brought us gluten free muffins and Cappuccino with Bailey’s.  It was so relaxing sitting on the balcony drinking coffee and letting all the stress of life go away.  After a wonderful breakfast at Lumanae we headed to the retreat pool to get some much-needed sun and relaxation.  We spent the day in the sun and had a wonderful lunch at the pool bar.  They have a lime and basil yogurt with fresh fruit that was delicious.  They accommodated our gluten allergy at every meal and went above and beyond to offer as much as possible.  Every afternoon we went to the retreat lounge for wine and snacks.  They provided gluten free scones with jelly and clotted cream.  It was nice to have this offered to us on this cruise.  It made me feel normal.  The evenings were also all the same: 7pm show then we went to martini bar until our 830-dinner followed by music around the ship.  Then we would stop by the coffee bar for gluten free cake of the day to take back to the room. Tonight, dinner was at Le Petit and we really enjoyed the food and the show.  We highly recommend this to everyone; it is worth the money.  The show was an Aretha Franklin tribute.  She was bind blowing as was all the music on this amazing ship.  Tonight, was also the silent disco which in my opinion was the most fun things I have done on a cruise.  Watching people dance to 3 different tunes and sing out loud when you can hear no music was hysterical.

Second Sea Day

Breakfast was in Lumanae, and I had gluten free apple cinnamon crepes.  Lunch today was at Raw on 5 and it was probably the best meal we had all week.  Which is saying a lot because the food on this ship was amazing.  We had their tower and my husband who does not like oysters ate 8 of them.  We tried to get reservations for the last sea day, but none were available.  It really was a wonderful restaurant.  1 PM we went to a Oregon wine tasting.  It was very informative, and the wine was spectacular.  Dinner today was at the Chef’s table.  See pictures for the menu and of our meal.  The show tonight was the first production show.  I really love production shows when they fly, and we saw a lot of that tonight.  We also had the adult comedian show which was funny as well.  It is a little strange to have so few people on the ship and at the shows, but it really made for much more personal service.

Costa Maya

Today was my birthday and it was such a wonderful day.  Lumanae to start the day with gluten free crepes then it was off to the port.  This was the only time that we had to wear a mask.  It was hot to walk around wearing a mask and we parked at the far end of the port, so it was a LONG walk in that heat with a mask.  On the way back we took the mask off for the walk because it was so hot.  We have been to the port quite often, but it was strange this time.  Very few shops were open.  The tequila factory, aviary, and chocolate factory were all closed.  We had a great time swimming in the pool and having drinks at the swim up bar.  The only food in port were chips and guacamole available at the swim up bar but it was good guacamole.  After doing some shopping we headed back to the ship and went to the solarium.  I absolutely LOVE the pool chairs that can be in the water.  So relaxing and the water was warm.  Ben had set up a lovely tea in our suite with birthday decorations that we enjoyed with our friends Kim Mahoney and her husband Nick.  We loved sitting and just visiting with them.  The tea included a wonderful chocolate mousse cake with a mirror glaze that was gluten free.  Captain Kate sent me a lovely note with a bracelet and a tray of macaroons that make the day just so much more special than it already was.  After a long soak in the wonderful tub, we headed to the martini bar, and I got to meet and speak with Captain Kate and get a few pictures.  She is as lovely in person as I imagined she would be.  Dinner tonight was at Eden and the food was very good.  I was a little disappointed that the interactive part of the restaurant is not happening right now do to Covid, but the food does not disappoint.  Dinner ended with a second gluten free birthday cake. Tonight, was a magic show so we decided to end the night with music instead.  As a medical provider the last 18 months have been really tough.  I have so longed for a day like today.  A day were normal can come back into our lives.  This entire trip was several days of normal.  Last year on my birthday we had to stay at home because of quarantine but this year thanks to the vaccine we were able to do what we love…cruise


We decided to stay on the ship for the next two ports due to the mask requirements.  Being from Alaska we are not used to the heat and the mask just made it unbearable.  This was a very lazy day by the pool after sleeping in for the morning.  Lunch was at Lumanae, and I had a delicious steak.  The food was just amazing on this ship.  Afternoon wine and scones in the retreat lounge was wonderful as always.   Dave and Kim played 60 seconds to win, and they beat the officers.  It was a lot of fun to watch.  Dinner tonight was at Cosmopolitan with Kim and Nick.  The food was delicious, and I really enjoyed the dip choices that they give you in the restaurants.  We really enjoyed the congratulations cake they gave Dave and Kim to celebrate their win. The show tonight was a xylosynth performer and he was AMAZING.  I was completely blown away.  In 19 cruises we have never seen a performance like this and would LOVE to see him again.

Last Sea Day

Today was a lazier day.  We had room service for breakfast on the balcony.  Then went to listen to Captain Kate for her officer’s talk followed by Bug Naked trivia.  That is the calmest cat I have ever seen.  It was wonderful to get up close to the cat and wonderful to see how much she loves her mom.  It is really a reflection of how well Captain Kate takes her.  The afternoon we just napped in the room and watched a movie.  Dinner was in Lumanae, and it was delicious.  This was the second formal night, and we had a little issue getting photos.  Lauren the cruise director who is a lovely person helped us be able to get photos so we would have them for memories.  Tonight, was the second formal night and it was a wonderful show.  It was a 50’s band whose uncle was in the audience.  He was fun and interactive. 


Today is our last day but it was as wonderful as the first.  We stayed on the ship and slept in.  Went to the pool for lunch and to get some sunshine.  The last show was a production show and as I stated before I love when things fly through the air.  The talent on this ship is amazing.  We went by and picked our pictures for the photo book and listened to the show at the martini bar.  Dinner tonight was in Lumanae with our friends Kim and Nick.  After dinner we went back to put our luggage out of the room and then it was off to the casino.  I have gambled on a couple of occasions and really enjoyed the casino staff.  Then it was off to get some sleep prior to disembarkation.


We enjoyed our last breakfast at Lumanae with gluten free crepes and cheddar cheese grits.  It was an easy disembarkation with a change to hug Captain Kate and Lauren goodbye.  No more customs forms and we just showed our ID, and we were off the ship.  We had rented a day room to hang out in for the day as we had a late flight out of FLL.  It was nice to relax and hang out rather than having to wait at the airport all day.  Then it was off to the airport.  Here is where it gets dicey.  I had never even heard of Spirit Air before this trip but needed a late flight to Denver, so we chose them. Man, there was a girl wearing a top that half of each of her breasts were exposed, flight attendant had to sit next to a passenger to get him to wear his mask, they delayed the flight for 45 min for bottled water (which they charge for…no water without paying), the seats do not recline, a woman left her 3 children under 4 on the jetway while she put away her carry on.  I was UTTERY STUNNED!!  Never again is all I must say.  We spent 2 nights in Denver at a great hotel Wooley’s suite and then it was back home. 


This is an amazing ship.  From Eden to the magic carpet.  The staff were very excited to be cruising again.  We loved only 38% capacity because you really got to know staff.  Captain Kate is absolutely lovely, but the suite process is the deciding factor.  I will never again cruise without a suite.  The retreat is just worth every dollar you spend on it.  I have cruised in all kinds of rooms, but this retreat is a level above anything else.  The music was amazing, activities are great, food was spectacular, service was outstanding.  Never once on this cruise did, I feel anything but normal (our old normal before covid).  We were able to take photos, sit close to people in the casino, meet people we had never met, eat together, sit at wine tasting with others.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Verafnp said:

 Lunch today was at Raw on 5 and it was probably the best meal we had all week.  Which is saying a lot because the food on this ship was amazing.  We had their tower and my husband who does not like oysters ate 8 of them. 

Great review! Was there an ala cart charge for lunch at the Raw on 5 and did you have to make reservations? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises Nov 29th at 3 p.m. EST
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Holland America Line’s Black Friday Sale
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...