Jump to content

Do ocean view cabin windows open?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

As per title, I was just wondering if ocean view cabin windows actually open to let air in the room. Sailing on Jade soon. I don't need a balcony but I do need an open window or door at night to be able to sleep. So basically just wondering if I can save a few quid by going for ocean vew over a balcony. 

 

Thanks

Edited by deek72
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • deek72 changed the title to Do ocean view cabin windows open?

You can not open ocean view windows.  And you can't leave your balcony door open all night either.  It causes problems with other cabins around yours in regards to the A.C.

You may consider bringing a small fan with you to move the air around in your state room.

Years ago on an Alaskan cruise the ship was going through some pretty rough seas and our ocean view windows were covered up with port hole covers until we were out of the rough ocean waves.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

And you can't leave your balcony door open all night either.  It causes problems with other cabins around yours in regards to the A.C.

 

Is there something that forces you to close your balcony door at night?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is there something that forces you to close your balcony door at night?

A lot of the newer ships have a system that the A.C. shuts off to your room when your balcony door is left open.  A stateroom is going to get very humid without any A. C. 

It's also a courtesy to your neighbors.  If their A.C. isn't working, there will be calls to report it and the staff can tell very easily if someone has their balcony door open.  It creates a draft under your door to the hallway.  They will advise you to keep your balcony door closed.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

You can not open ocean view windows.  And you can't leave your balcony door open all night either.  It causes problems with other cabins around yours in regards to the A.C.

You may consider bringing a small fan with you to move the air around in your state room.

Years ago on an Alaskan cruise the ship was going through some pretty rough seas and our ocean view windows were covered up with port hole covers until we were out of the rough ocean waves.  

 

 

You answered my question in your first 7 words. Thanks. But this will be my 9th cruise (7 balconies, 1 inside) and have never had a problem or complaint about leaving the balcony door very slightly open. 

31 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

 

 

Would you really want them to open?😲

I suppose it depends how high you are 😁

Edited by deek72
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

A lot of the newer ships have a system that the A.C. shuts off to your room when your balcony door is left open.  A stateroom is going to get very humid without any A. C. 

It's also a courtesy to your neighbors.  If their A.C. isn't working, there will be calls to report it and the staff can tell very easily if someone has their balcony door open.  It creates a draft under your door to the hallway.  They will advise you to keep your balcony door closed.  

We often leave the balcony door open at night and the AC does shut off. We have never had any complaints from neighboring cabins though, one of which is the parents and their AC works fine. This has been on the Epic, Getaway, Escape, Bliss and Encore.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, deek72 said:

You answered my question in your first 7 words. Thanks. But this will be my 9th cruise (7 balconies, 1 inside) and have never had a problem or complaint about leaving the balcony door very slightly open. 

 

3 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

We often leave the balcony door open at night and the AC does shut off. We have never had any complaints from neighboring cabins though, one of which is the parents and their AC works fine. This has been on the Epic, Getaway, Escape, Bliss and Encore.

The AC in passenger cabins is really three systems.  The first system is merely a recirculation system that takes air from the cabin, uses a fan to pass it over an individual cooling coil in the cabin, and delivers the air back to the cabin, much like a window AC works in your home.  This system is generally shut off by a switch when the balcony door is open.  The second system is the bathroom exhaust fan, which is always running, to remove a portion of the air from the cabin, so that fresh air can be supplied.  The third system is the fresh air supply system.  This system takes outside air, cools it in large cooling coils in the AC rooms that run down the center of the passenger cabin decks (those long white spaces), and then delivers that air to 20-30 cabins (usually all the cabins on one side of the ship, on a single deck, and between the fire doors).  The amount of this cooled air supplied to each cabin is slightly more than the amount of air removed by the bathroom exhaust.  This is to provide the cabin with a slight "overpressure", so that air will leak out of the cabin (like under the door gap) into the passageway, and not allow smoke to enter if there is a fire outside the cabin.  So, this overpressure is designed to overcome small gaps like under the door, but if you leave your balcony door open, this huge "gap" drops the pressure in your cabin to ambient.  Since every other cabin on the fresh air supply system is pushing against overpressure in those cabins, the air delivery will follow the path of least resistance, and all go to the cabin with the lower pressure (open balcony door).  This reduces the fresh air supply to every other cabin on the system, reducing their cooling, and also reduces their overpressure, causing air to flow back into their cabins from the warmer passageway.

 

So, in short, yes, leaving a balcony door open will affect the AC quality of many cabins around you, though yours will be working fine.  When we get complaints of many cabins being warm in one area of the ship, I walk down the passageway, listening for the distinctive "whistling" of air escaping under a door gap.  Knocking on that cabin, I will inevitably find that the balcony door is open. (this will also usually result in every paper or light item in the cabin being sucked out the balcony door as well).

  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Solution - go out on the balcony and close the door behind you - - -

 

Exactly what I was thinking. Enjoy the sea air all you want, just don't mess up the air filtration for everyone else by leaving it open. @chengkp75 did a nice job explaining why doing that is a bad thing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't even know who that is, so I likely wouldn't care what he has to say. 🤣

He's on AGT (America's Got Talent). Hey, if you want to sleep in the sea air, just fall asleep on a deck chair, no one would know and you wouldn't be doing anything to the air filtration/circulation system that would bother your fellow sailors. Win/win! 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

He's on AGT (America's Got Talent). Hey, if you want to sleep in the sea air, just fall asleep on a deck chair, no one would know and you wouldn't be doing anything to the air filtration/circulation system that would bother your fellow sailors. Win/win! 😄

If I just book an inside, can I avoid all this drama?

 

ETA: why would I care what anybody on TV tells me to do?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If I just book an inside, can I avoid all this drama?

 

ETA: why would I care what anybody on TV tells me to do?

Ha, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was saying "no," as in "no, you can't just sleep with the balcony door open all night." I only used SC as an example of someone who says "no" on a regular basis. Do whatever you want, but as was pointed out to you earlier, it's not very considerate when you take into account the effect it has on other passengers.

 

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, in short, yes, leaving a balcony door open will affect the AC quality of many cabins around you, though yours will be working fine.

That's what our chief engineer friend wrote. Do whatever you want, as long as it isn't on my cruise. LOL

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ha, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was saying "no," as in "no, you can't just sleep with the balcony door open all night." I only used SC as an example of someone who says "no" on a regular basis. Do whatever you want, but as was pointed out to you earlier, it's not very considerate when you take into account the effect it has on other passengers.

 

That's what our chief engineer friend wrote. Do whatever you want, as long as it isn't on my cruise. LOL

 

I'm glad you added the "LOL."  That said, I was really just playing devil's advocate, as I have not to this point ever sailed in a balcony.  I didn't realize things could get so dramatic and complicated.  This sounds even uglier than chair hogs.  Does the cruise line post signage in the balcony rooms advising against leaving the doors open?

 

btw: I'm certainly receptive to guidance from experts, but I don't need anybody's permission from the internet to "do whatever I want" (in any realm).  That would seem a bit presumptuous.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

btw: I'm certainly receptive to guidance from experts, but I don't need anybody's permission from the internet to "do whatever I want" (in any realm).  That would seem a bit presumptuous.  

I don't know about signage, but you at least now know what happens if you try to leave the door open all night. Personally I don't like having the door open because the air gets humid real fast, and neither my wife nor I can stand that.

Of course you don't need anyone's permission, but I think you know you can't just "do whatever you want" on a cruise. There are rules. You seem like a very nice person, but we've all witnessed rude behavior by some cruisers who attempt to justify it by saying "I'm on vacation, I can do whatever I want." Which is actually a rather petulant, adolescent attitude to have. Adults should behave like adults, which means you don't clip your toenails next to somebody else by the pool-gross! (true story), you don't grab ten pieces of bacon with your bare hands and throw 3 of them back, etc. Being on vacation is not an excuse for incivility. But like I said, you're a nice person and I try to be one, too.

I confess I didn't even know about the effects of leaving the balcony door open before today, but it's not something we've ever done in the first place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Of course you don't need anyone's permission, but I think you know you can't just "do whatever you want" on a cruise. There are rules. You seem like a very nice person, but we've all witnessed rude behavior by some cruisers who attempt to justify it by saying "I'm on vacation, I can do whatever I want." Which is actually a rather petulant, adolescent attitude to have.

I appreciate that, but feel compelled to point out that nowhere in any of my posts did I even hint at an intention to book a balcony and leave the door open all night without regard to negative effects on my fellow cruisers.  I just asked a few simple questions, admitting that I knew nothing about sailing in a balcony room.  That's how I learn about this stuff.  😎

 

Hopefully somebody will confirm that there is signage posted.  It would seem really stupid for the technical staff to have to deal with this stuff if the "violators" were legitimately ignorant of the consequences.  That just doesn't seem "fair" to anybody.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So if it's a beautiful temperature outside, we can't leave our balcony doors open to enjoy the fresh sea air?

 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, I was really thinking about while sleeping.......

 

 

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I appreciate that, but feel compelled to point out that nowhere in any of my posts did I even hint at an intention to book a balcony and leave the door open all night

My bad, but your previous comments did leave the impression that you were planning to do just that. 😉 That being said, I apologize for assuming you were. Have a great evening! My wife and I are off on a road trip in a few minutes. Take care!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...