Jump to content

Do ocean view cabin windows open?


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

 or they would merely ignore it anyway.

 

Thats exactly the point ! Most people do whatever they want during their vacation to make it as comfortable as possible for them. Especially during vacation the people don`t care if their behaviours might afffect other people. Yes, some people do care. But 97% don`t.

If they want to leave the door open for their convenience thaen they will not care if it affects other cruisers cabins air quality.

18 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

 I'm guessing in many cases, it's cool outside and that's why they are leaving their balcony doors open.

I think it has more to do with "fresh" air or some wind. Cause if you put the A/C to max. power and lowest temperature then the cabin temperature will be lower than in 80% of the world during 90% of the year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Yes, some people do care. But 97% don`t.

 

So 97% of my fellow cruisers are jerks?  Sorry, but I've never seen that.  5% - 10% maybe....  Same as everywhere else (including internet forums).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

think it has more to do with "fresh" air or some wind. Cause if you put the A/C to max. power and lowest temperature then the cabin temperature will be lower than in 80% of the world during 90% of the year.

Are these numbers representative of the earth's surface area or population distribution?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

I think it has more to do with "fresh" air or some wind. Cause if you put the A/C to max. power and lowest temperature then the cabin temperature will be lower than in 80% of the world during 90% of the year.

 

Obviously.  The point is that if it's blazing hot and humid outside, nobody will leave the door open to have blazing hot, humid, fresh air and some wind.  If it's cool outside, they might (unless they understand the negative effect on surrounding cabins and aren't jerks).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RumRunner2021 said:

"Please keep balcony door closed at all times.  Leaving the door open will negatively affect the ventilation system in this cabin and surrounding cabins."

 

Yeah, that would take up half the door.....

Let’s say the cruise line does do that, and posts that sticker (at their expense) in all 2,000 staterooms (or however many there are). People will still ignore it, just like they do with stuffing all kinds of crap down the toilet or not washing their hands, despite posted signage. Better yet, why not stop arguing with people on Cruise Critic about this and contact one of the cruise lines with your idea? Seems a lot more constructive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Let’s say the cruise line does do that, and posts that sticker (at their expense) in all 2,000 staterooms (or however many there are). People will still ignore it, just like they do with stuffing all kinds of crap down the toilet or not washing their hands, despite posted signage. Better yet, why not stop arguing with people on Cruise Critic about this and contact one of the cruise lines with your idea? Seems a lot more constructive. 

Yikes!!  Having a bad day?  I guess I have a higher opinion of my fellow cruisers than you do.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry, no longer in the cruise industry, so balconies are no longer a concern on tankers.  But, no, mainly because it would either be too technical for people to understand, or they would merely ignore it anyway.

 

Yeah, the fact that officers and crew live in such small quarters had me wonder before. To compare, the mom-and-pop inland ships sailing on the Rhine look as if 20-30% of -what could have been- cargo space is used as a home. Which is fair, because they are a home. On sea going vessels, much less space seems to be used for crew.  A cabin with a balcony is not a ridiculous demand  when you spend months on the ship, is it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Yikes!!  Having a bad day?  I guess I have a higher opinion of my fellow cruisers than you do.

Haha, having a bad day? LOL, nope, far from it, wife and I are having a relaxing beach weekend. I don’t have a “low” opinion of anyone, I have an understanding of human behavior that comes from observing people on vacation for the past 40 years. 😉 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have cruised mostly out of Boston in the fall. I have found that the a/c is none functional until you get to warmer weather. I can not sleep unless the room is cold. So yes we have left the balcony door opened at night to cool the cabin off until we get further South. Never had a complaint but also never knew it could effect other cabins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 1:39 AM, deek72 said:

As per title, I was just wondering if ocean view cabin windows actually open to let air in the room. Sailing on Jade soon. I don't need a balcony but I do need an open window or door at night to be able to sleep. So basically just wondering if I can save a few quid by going for ocean vew over a balcony. 

 

Thanks

I’m sorry, this can’t be a real question..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

Yeah, the fact that officers and crew live in such small quarters had me wonder before. To compare, the mom-and-pop inland ships sailing on the Rhine look as if 20-30% of -what could have been- cargo space is used as a home. Which is fair, because they are a home. On sea going vessels, much less space seems to be used for crew.  A cabin with a balcony is not a ridiculous demand  when you spend months on the ship, is it? 

It would be absolutely useless.  No one has time to sit and relax on a balcony.  Working 12 hours a day plus meal hours (so I normally work 0600 - 1930), you may feel like watching a TV show or reading a book in a recliner and then to bed.  Rinse and repeat.  At least half the crew work outside in "the sea air" all day anyway, so they could care less about a balcony.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

So 97% of my fellow cruisers are jerks?  Sorry, but I've never seen that.  5% - 10% maybe....  Same as everywhere else (including internet forums).

 

there is a big difference between "Not caring about other people when they see it" and "not caring about other people when they don`t see it".

The balcony door thing you can completely ignore the other passengers feelings and nobody of the other passengers will know that it is you. In such situations many more people behave selfish then if all other passengers could see that it is you who does not care about the others.

Maybe 97% is way too high, but it is for sure the clear majority.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

 

there is a big difference between "Not caring about other people when they see it" and "not caring about other people when they don`t see it".

The balcony door thing you can completely ignore the other passengers feelings and nobody of the other passengers will know that it is you. In such situations many more people behave selfish then if all other passengers could see that it is you who does not care about the others.

Maybe 97% is way too high, but it is for sure the clear majority.

 

 

Throw in all the space hogs - deck chairs, theater seats, buffet tables, etc.  Then the buffet slobs.  And people who will run you over with scooters to push in front for elevators.  And loud drunks.  

 

And worst of all, people who don't wear tuxes in the dining room!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Throw in all the space hogs - deck chairs, theater seats, buffet tables, etc.  Then the buffet slobs.  And people who will run you over with scooters to push in front for elevators.  And loud drunks.  

 

And worst of all, people who don't wear tuxes in the dining room!

My sarcasm detector is going off but it is an indeterminant reading.  🤨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 7/24/2021 at 11:58 PM, chengkp75 said:

It would be absolutely useless.  No one has time to sit and relax on a balcony.  Working 12 hours a day plus meal hours (so I normally work 0600 - 1930), you may feel like watching a TV show or reading a book in a recliner and then to bed.  Rinse and repeat.  At least half the crew work outside in "the sea air" all day anyway, so they could care less about a balcony.

 

You make it sound like prison.  There is a smaller part of the crew that do spend their 12 hours in a machine room or control room. Since Covid my working hours have gone up to at least 12 hours/day from home, and I'm so glad I had just moved to a house with a garden where I can simply leave the ***** alone and sit outside and do nothing. A recliner in a cabin or another screen to look at is, IMHO, a worse option than a recliner with a view and hearing the waves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

 

You make it sound like prison.  There is a smaller part of the crew that do spend their 12 hours in a machine room or control room. Since Covid my working hours have gone up to at least 12 hours/day from home, and I'm so glad I had just moved to a house with a garden where I can simply leave the ***** alone and sit outside and do nothing. A recliner in a cabin or another screen to look at is, IMHO, a worse option than a recliner with a view and hearing the waves.

Well, it's certainly not a cruise.  And, any outside location on the accommodation block, you're going to be very lucky to listen to the waves, over the exhaust of the engines and the roaring of the supply fans for the engine room.  Life at sea is not a romantic adventure, nor do many mariners really care about the "call of the ocean", it's merely where you work.  My wife visited a ship the one time we called at our hometown, and she likened it very much to a prison.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, it's certainly not a cruise.  And, any outside location on the accommodation block, you're going to be very lucky to listen to the waves, over the exhaust of the engines and the roaring of the supply fans for the engine room.  Life at sea is not a romantic adventure, nor do many mariners really care about the "call of the ocean", it's merely where you work.  My wife visited a ship the one time we called at our hometown, and she likened it very much to a prison.

 

 

Yep, after 20 something years in the Navy, I stayed in a 100 Sq Ft Studio cabin and I felt like royalty having all that space to myself.  lol

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, RaftingJeremy said:

I’m sorry, this can’t be a real question..

 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:26 PM, RumRunner2021 said:

Just ignore that crap @deek72.  You asked an honest question.  I'm pretty sure this forum welcomes cruisers with all levels of experience.

Thanks. I'm not really an inexperienced cruiser, I've just never had an ocean view cabin. 

 

I know what he was getting at but if a balcony door will open, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to ask if an ocean view cabin window on one of the same decks might open. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, deek72 said:

 

Thanks. I'm not really an inexperienced cruiser, I've just never had an ocean view cabin. 

 

I know what he was getting at but if a balcony door will open, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to ask if an ocean view cabin window on one of the same decks might open. 

 

That would be a reasonable assumption, but the ocean view cabins aren't usually on the same deck as balconies (with a few exceptions, such as deck 8 on the Jewel-class ships) -- OV are generally lower.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, deek72 said:

 

Thanks. I'm not really an inexperienced cruiser, I've just never had an ocean view cabin. 

 

I know what he was getting at but if a balcony door will open, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to ask if an ocean view cabin window on one of the same decks might open. 

A perfectly reasonable question, but did you ever dream that this topic would still be going on 70 replies later!  What a thread!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, it's certainly not a cruise.  And, any outside location on the accommodation block, you're going to be very lucky to listen to the waves, over the exhaust of the engines and the roaring of the supply fans for the engine room.  Life at sea is not a romantic adventure, nor do many mariners really care about the "call of the ocean", it's merely where you work.  My wife visited a ship the one time we called at our hometown, and she likened it very much to a prison.

 

You surprise me with the "call of the ocean". Isn't that what attracts people to working at ships in the first place? 

 

The steering house on a cruise ship is at the front of the ship, and on "normal" ships it's aft. Can't a tanker have its steering house, berths and living areas at the front just like a cruise ship? Far away from the engines?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

You surprise me with the "call of the ocean". Isn't that what attracts people to working at ships in the first place? 

 

The steering house on a cruise ship is at the front of the ship, and on "normal" ships it's aft. Can't a tanker have its steering house, berths and living areas at the front just like a cruise ship? Far away from the engines?

For a lot of people, it would be a long walk to work in the dark, pouring rain, freezing wind, scorching heat, etc....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...