WiFi included

Our upcoming trip we have free wifi included. Have never never had this in a pkg. deal before. Is it best to use the computers on the ship or taking your own. If taking your own I am looking for recommendations on what most people pack. Main thing is checking e-mail and keeping in touch with home. Would it perhaps be easier to just use my smart phone for this?

Posted (edited)

Unless you need your laptop for something specific, I'd imagine your smart phone will work just fine for you. In the event that you didn't take your laptop and then a specific need arose, you could always use the ship's computers. But that's always my last choice on that. I like having my own, where I have my password manager.

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 2

We take a thin lightweight laptop but that's just us.  I like the larger screen and a real keyboard. I could use our iPhone but it's just too small for serious work - we take longer cruises so some serious stuff needs to be handled now and then. Someday we might move to a decent-sized tablet.

• Like 2

Free WiFi has probably been introduced in my opinion because of the Ocean Medallion.  They seem to be putting more into this sort of technology and having a smart phone with the app on it would not be such a good thing if you had to pay for WiFi as participation would be significantly  less.

Regards John

3 minutes ago, john watson said:

Free WiFi has probably been introduced in my opinion because of the Ocean Medallion.  They seem to be putting more into this sort of technology and having a smart phone with the app on it would not be such a good thing if you had to pay for WiFi as participation would be significantly  less.

Regards John

The wifi (inTRAnet) is always free. Its access to the inTERnet you are paying for.  The medallion app can be used with the ships wifi without any cost. 

• Like 4

If all you need is to check or send e-mails then use your phone. If you want to stream movies then take along the laptop for the larger screen. Be aware that wi-fi is not as fast in the Alaska latitudes. 

How long is your cruise?  Do you take a lot of photos that you will need to upload to your computer to free up space? 

On a short 5 day cruise, I will take my devices.  On a 2 week or longer cruise, the laptop comes along.

59 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How long is your cruise?  Do you take a lot of photos that you will need to upload to your computer to free up space

On a short 5 day cruise, I will take my devices.  On a 2 week or longer cruise, the laptop comes along.

Put the pics / videos in the cloud to deal with later (I have an older phone with just 128GB)