Jump to content

Australia Jan/Feb 2022 Cruises


bbtondo
 Share

Recommended Posts

I noticed Viking no longer lists the above cruises on their website.  I also read that these cruises were cancelled.  Does anyone know if this is true and when the notifications from Viking were sent out, if any. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but yes, they have been cancelled.

 

Australia and New Zealand are closed to cruise ships until mid - late 2022 at the least. 
 

Cruise lines often cancel cruises as time go by - they do that monthly or so. 
 

The main point is Viking cancelled the Orion’s transpacific crossing to Asia a month ago which means Orion isn’t going to be in Asia and Viking is cancelling the Asian and Australian cruises month by month. 
 

sorry to upset you but this is the new life (covid). 
 

P.S. when Viking cancelled Orion’s TP they added 6 new Bermuda Escape sailings. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Sorry, but yes, they have been cancelled.

 

Australia and New Zealand are closed to cruise ships until mid - late 2022 at the least. 
 

Cruise lines often cancel cruises as time go by - they do that monthly or so. 
 

The main point is Viking cancelled the Orion’s transpacific crossing to Asia a month ago which means Orion isn’t going to be in Asia and Viking is cancelling the Asian and Australian cruises month by month. 
 

sorry to upset you but this is the new life (covid). 
 

P.S. when Viking cancelled Orion’s TP they added 6 new Bermuda Escape sailings. 
 

Yes, I'm aware of what you wrote. Also, I am not upset.  Not understanding why you would think that. Covid ? New life? Gee, I had no idea!

 

Just asking if viking has officially canceled and if anyone has received notification from viking. Very simple question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are supposed to be on Australia/Asia/Alaska beginning on March 1, 22 and haven’t heard anything yet.  I suspect we will be getting information on the changes to this trip shortly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Sorry, but yes, they have been cancelled.

 

Australia and New Zealand are closed to cruise ships until mid - late 2022 at the least. 
 

Cruise lines often cancel cruises as time go by - they do that monthly or so. 
 

The main point is Viking cancelled the Orion’s transpacific crossing to Asia a month ago which means Orion isn’t going to be in Asia and Viking is cancelling the Asian and Australian cruises month by month. 
 

sorry to upset you but this is the new life (covid). 
 

P.S. when Viking cancelled Orion’s TP they added 6 new Bermuda Escape sailings. 
 

 When I was on the Viking Orion  last week, the crew  all said that they do not know where the ship will go  after the Bermuda sailings thru early Sept.

 I have friend who is Australian and cannot get back to AU for his daughter's wedding in October unless he and rest of family  quarantines for number of days once he arrives.  So daughter getting married and then  coming to US for the reception in summer of 2022 hopefully.

 Travel to other countries  by any means of transportation will be an evolving experience  going forward for  the next year  IMO. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

 When I was on the Viking Orion  last week, the crew  all said that they do not know where the ship will go  after the Bermuda sailings thru early Sept.

 I have friend who is Australian and cannot get back to AU for his daughter's wedding in October unless he and rest of family  quarantines for number of days once he arrives.  So daughter getting married and then  coming to US for the reception in summer of 2022 hopefully.

 Travel to other countries  by any means of transportation will be an evolving experience  going forward for  the next year  IMO. 

 

Yes, I agree that traveling is an evolving experience going forward.  Especially Australia.  Just waiting to see when the official cancelation from Viking comes.  I'm surprised it has already.  

 

I feel sorry for the couples whose weddings have been changed/delayed or canceled due to Covid. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Hazel52 said:

Email today with cancellation notice (January 2022) and offer to move to January 2023.

Thanks so much for this information.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just got back into my account and find that I have been moved to Feb 2023 but the reverse itinerary .  Sydney to Auckland.  I had booked Auckland to Sydney.   Not given any option, and do not know if the same booking conditions apply as my first trip. (included business airfares?) or what cabin number I have been given.  Hopefully my travel agent knows more.  Will contact him on Monday.

Just noticed that 21st Feb  Sydney to Auckland does not exist on 2023 schedule.  Wonder if another ship has been added.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, harbourside said:

I have just got back into my account and find that I have been moved to Feb 2023 but the reverse itinerary .  Sydney to Auckland.  I had booked Auckland to Sydney.   Not given any option, and do not know if the same booking conditions apply as my first trip. (included business airfares?) or what cabin number I have been given.  Hopefully my travel agent knows more.  Will contact him on Monday.

Just noticed that 21st Feb  Sydney to Auckland does not exist on 2023 schedule.  Wonder if another ship has been added.

 

The Viking press release, announcing the Viking Mars float out, indicated it is heading to Asia/Australia, after completing an initial season in Europe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, harbourside said:

Thats good news.   I hope they have added some new cruises to their itinerary, not just doubling up on whats already available.

 

I don't believe they have posted any cruises for Mars yet, except for the 2022 summer season. I only read that she was bound for Asia in the press release. Same with Neptune - they have the World Cruises posted, but nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received a notice today from Viking, and I have been moved to Viking Mars for 2023, same itinerary and dates, (just reverse trip) Sydney to Auckland instead of Auckland to Sydney and same cabin and  they have still honored my free included Business class fare, so I am happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same experience as harbourside. I was dealing directly with Viking, not an outside TA, and they moved me to the Mars, but on a reverse itinerary. I also had a 7 day pre-cruise trip booked and they moved that too, to the beginning of the trip instead of the end of the cruise. All prices remained the same, including BC air with Viking. The direction of the trip didn't make a difference, and it was a painless process with Viking doing all the work. I was happy to see that they honored the prior pricing for everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Options they offered:

a. Move to another date

b. Move to a new itinerary 

c. 110% voucher (but, can only be used on a NEW itinerary)

 

then I asked about a refund and yes that’s an option but must initiate via TA.  We have 3 other cruises booked so kind of disappointed that we can’t just transfer $ paid to final payment for one of those already booked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

d. Cancel one of the 3 others and rebook, instantly, while talking to Viking Agent, with the vouchers.

 

Tom

This assumes that one of the three is still in the no penalty timeframe.

Edited by Tom.in.nc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Hazel52 said:

I should have thought of that. Thanks!

I think you will have to accept the vouchers, then wait until they are in your record (sometimes two weeks) and then you will be able to cancel and rebook. YMMV

 

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
Dang, voice recognition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...