LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

Good Evening CCers, Can you believe it?!!  Cruising is Back and Holland America will be sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam from Smith Cove Terminal pier 91 on Saturday July 24th. If you have followed my Live froms in the past you know I report kind of like I talk. My reports sound like a Dear Diary at times. Sometimes funny, with as many facts I can give, with pictures but most of all I try to make it so you feel like you are cruising with Tom and I.

We have been to Alaska with HAL more time than I can count on my fingers, we were originally booked to sail to Alaska on the Eurodam for September 2020, well we know what happened with that, so we moved it to September 2021. That was also Eurodam that got switched to Nieuw Amsterdam we are still taking that cruise so will be able to report differences between the two cruises later. We were also booked and paid in full for Nieuw Statendam to Norway for July, even paying final my gut said we were not going. That of course was canceled, then on May 19th Holland America announced that they were for sure sailing to Alaska starting July 24th. The minute they announced it I told Tom and then I said I want to be on that first sailing and Tom says...Book It!!! 

So 9 weeks later here we are.... we are packed with the exception of last minutes items early in the morning. Packing was so very hard, one would not think you forget how to pack but when you have not done that in 17 months trust me it was a bit harder. I feel like I have over packed but then Alaska has always been a destination that is harder to pack for, especially when you are coming from a place that average temps have been 110 degrees.

Our Roll Call has been lots of fun, especially with the excitement building and so many new things that will surround the return to cruising. We are venturing into new territory with the return to cruising but I have a feeling in many ways it will feel like it always has. Our world has changed so much since March 2020 that even if there are changes to cruising and lots of new protocols it will be good to be back.

We have a very early morning flight to SeaTac on Alaska Air so the alarm is set for 3:15, we plan to leave the house by 4:45.

I will of course give you a play by play of a good portion of the cruise like always.   

Signing off for now.......

• Like 45
  • Thanks 4

Can't wait for your report . Planning to book this ship for December. We did not do HAL for a while I wonder how is food and entertainment now. If its not too much trouble could you please check how much Thermal Spa area is and if its open at all with Covid rules.   🙄

• Like 2

Have a great cruise. We’ll be going on the last one to AK - our 3rd Alaska cruise- love this cruise. I will be anxious to hear about whether HAL is doing a thorough check to make sure everyone has been vaccinated. Looking forward to your report😃

• Like 2

Your the Queen and most  honest reviewer of CC live cruise reviews! Wishing you and DH a wonderful cruise experience.

Looking forward to sharing and learning from your experiences.

We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam from San Diego early October on MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 5

Really looking forward to your review.  Love reading Alaska cruise reviews because besides seeing pictures of extraordinary scenery, they also make me feel cooler on hot, muggy Summer days!  😎

Thanking for taking us along.   Bon Voyage 🛳!

• Like 2

OMG it was heart warming to turn on the lap top this morning (Friday), log into CC and go to the HAL forum and see a 'Live From' thread at the top of the listing.

Thank you so much!

Have a great cruise!  True Pioneers! 

• Like 6