Jump to content

LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Am I copying you correctly? Will you be on the Aug 7 sailing of Nieuw A, Chief?

John, we are finally going to meet you and your child bride.👏🏻👏🏻How about that! So looking forward to a friend I have never met in person. 
 

Got a SY guarantee and good to go. If you have any tour recommendations let us know.

 

Finally, Sail Away drinks are on us..

 

Bruce and Sue

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Am I copying you correctly? Will you be on the Aug 7 sailing of Nieuw A, Chief?

John we are finally going to cruise together!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I am getting very excited about the August 14th cruise; but I have not seen any of the dam Cruise Critic veterans onboard. 😞 

 

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Actually I think they were just getting to film what Seth did after we got on board. Tom remembers seeing Jan from Princess. 
let me tell you there was so much going on,  I was trying to film embarkation and with just takings Everything in. We ran into Seth right away. Oddly there was no time to get emotional. It’s not till we are reviewing after the fact we realize and can feel the emotions. 

IMG_1202.MOV

Love the little video, what a memorable embarkation, like a maiden voyage.  I have lots of questions, but I'll bombard you with them when you get back, have a great first evening!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We have actually decided to just hang out for Sailaway on our aft facing balcony , Tom just went to get himself a beer and me a glass of wine. We figured it will be crowded and noisy and we can have a seat and watch sailaway without the crowds. Although May watch Facebook 😉

I've done my share of private sail aways, sometimes embarkation can be tiring and taxing.  I think I slept through one sail away I was so exhausted, woke up with just enough time to get to dinner. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tampacruiser said:

How firm are they with the boarding times.  We arrive next Saturday and going to catch a Lyft from SEA but I'm going to be there prior to my 12:40 boarding time?

We had a 12:40 PM boarding time also but arrived at the port approximately 11:40 PM. We were in our cabin shortly before noon.  There were no keys given at check-in. The keys were in an envelope at your door.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pia1913 said:

We had a 12:40 PM boarding time also but arrived at the port approximately 11:40 PM. We were in our cabin shortly before noon.  There were no keys given at check-in. The keys were in an envelope at your door.

I suspected this would be the case, that it wouldn't be strictly enforced, not at 50% capacity, but with fuller ships they might.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Good news and bad news.......I think the first sailing has blown up/exploded  the Navigator App and HAL on line - I've tried to get on both all day/night and no luck for true connectivity for future bookings, dining and shore excursions for current and potential future bookings......hopefully, both are functional regardless of thousands or millions trying to log in online!

 

Edited by boze9999
wtypo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

Good news and bad news.......I think the first sailing has blown up/exploded  the Navigator App and HAL on line - I've tried to get on both all day/night and no luck for true connectivity for future bookings, dining and shore excursions for current bookings......hopefully, both are functional regardless of thousands or millions trying to log in online!

 

I did my excursions and spa midweek a few days ago on the regular website based on the premise everybody had moved to the app, I'd avoid Friday through Monday if possible.

 

I used my work computer, an HP desktop, fairly new and high end, no problems.

 

 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, atexsix said:

I did my excursions and spa yesterday on the regular website on the premise everybody had moved to the app, looks like I was right, might want to give it a go.

Tried to update my October TA dining and excursion bookings and all day today kept getting "there was a problem connecting to the network...try back later..."  Also tried to go into Alaska bookings and wouldn't let me access them.....I'll try again on Sunday

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, boze9999 said:

Tried to update my October TA dining and excursion bookings and all day today kept getting "there was a problem connecting to the network...try back later..."  Also tried to go into Alaska bookings and wouldn't let me access them.....I'll try again on Sunday

 

I think with everybody sailing today, plus weekends are always busy trying to do anything with a cruise line, like trying to reach customer service, if you try tomorrow, do it as early as possible

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So exciting.  I can't wait until we board the Eurodam in Sept.

Thank you for all the news and pictures.  This is great.  Looking forward to following  your live news.

Seattle treated you well with that weather.  May the rest of your trip be a wonderful.

.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Evening from the Beautiful MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Wow was this ever a full day. 
Embarkation was fun and amazing. I thought I would be emotional but there was so much going on and wanting to video some of it there was not the chance to get emotional.

At least for us all the things stated with taking your pictures on the Navigator App and making sure you had copies of something’s was definitely not the case. The one thing is you will need to show passports and Vaccination Cards at least three times, it may have even been 4 times.

They retook our pictures, I believe they did see that we had done the Health Questionnaire but asked if anything health wise had changed since we submitted that a few days ago.

Then they sent us on our way. 
 

On board the crew are genuinely happy and so excited we on here. Service has been amazing. 
the ship looks like brand new. Everything looks sparkling and brand new.

Now possibly I had miss this when we lasted cruised on NA but the elevator doors on deck 7 aft are different yet they are the same older design on Lido Deck?? I will post a picture my my pictures tonight.

ok, I will now just throw comments out with no general order just as I am thinking of these things.

Signature Beverage Package can be upgraded to Elite package for $5.00 we day plus gratuity, they said the total charge would be $39.00 per person.

Normally on the first day the Beverage Servers would have table set up to sell the Wine Packages, well tables were set up but not selling the wine package they had bottles in two groups, one was what wines offered under Signature the other for Elite. In the past my Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling would be in the Elite and Celler Master 2 Wine package but it was now part of the Signature Package so no need to upgrade to the Elite package for me.

There was no soliciting of the Cellar Master Wine packages, I do not think they are offering this at all.

You know how in the past the first day they are soliciting for the Wine Tasting and selling the Wine package when you are in the Lifo, well now a server is going around soliciting to order and upgrade your meal in the Main Dining Room. Offering Crab Legs and Jumbo Shrimp Cocktails.

For dinner we have Fixed Early, they placed us at s 4 top with place setting for two at a window toward the aft starboard. Table 49.

They were pushing most to use the QR code’s for the menu but they did bring us menus, but the dessert is now listed with everything and you order that with your main course.

Servers in the Main Dining Room…. The uniform is the same but in the past it seemed the Assistant Server had a slightly different uniform, everyone wore the same 

. Plus not really able to tell who your actual server was , there might not be just one or two. There were 4 different ones that brought things to our table. There did not appear to be one person doing a specific job.

By the time dessert came around they forgot what we had ordered, there was no offer for bringing coffee or even the liquor cordials. I kept looking all around us to see if any one had coffee and there was none , finally several tables away I saw a server with a small pot of what I would guess to be coffee but definitely not like it had been in the past where the Assistant Servers would come around asking if you wanted coffee and give you the cup and saucer.

Also no YumYum Man outside the Dining Room Door but that was starting to go away pre covid.

We did stop by the shops, there has been some remodeling, a few more walls built up in the shops area, for merchandise not a single thing has the the Holland America logo on the outside of a garment. A few on the inside tags. I guess this is one way not to offer the discount on logo wear 😉

I have not yet found out the number of how many are onboard but the Dining Room for fixed felt like it was  at 70%. The shops were busy but they they were having some kind of drawing. Out and about such as the Ocean Bar was quiet with really no one there.

 

We decided to call it an early night, we were both a bit exhausted . 

 

I am going to sign off for tonight but will try to post pictures I previously had not posted.

 

742F08AB-DF07-44A7-947A-0BC3808E2819.jpeg

4BDF705F-5886-4C81-8784-3325D3F2000E.jpeg

6A8AA74E-4704-4CDC-88DC-452F1E8B2BD2.jpeg

AE4FA738-43D3-4493-8C5D-C8C869037E92.jpeg

91C05CCC-67EE-454E-9EC5-857AD89745A3.jpeg

6990F10A-DE25-4EDB-AFD9-52CCF870EB93.jpeg

6DABFF4B-A4C6-4ECC-93A4-316158CE5E87.png

9478C1EC-9DA8-418B-9ACC-619E2B7206E4.jpeg

  • Like 40
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Evening from the Beautiful MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Wow was this ever a full day. 
Embarkation was fun and amazing. I thought I would be emotional but there was so much going on and wanting to video some of it there was not the chance to get emotional.

At least for us all the things stated with taking your pictures on the Navigator App and making sure you had copies of something’s was definitely not the case. The one thing is you will need to show passports and Vaccination Cards at least three times, it may have even been 4 times.

They retook our pictures, I believe they did see that we had done the Health Questionnaire but asked if anything health wise had changed since we submitted that a few days ago.

Then they sent us on our way. 
 

On board the crew are genuinely happy and so excited we on here. Service has been amazing. 
the ship looks like brand new. Everything looks sparkling and brand new.

Now possibly I had miss this when we lasted cruised on NA but the elevator doors on deck 7 aft are different yet they are the same older design on Lido Deck?? I will post a picture my my pictures tonight.

ok, I will now just throw comments out with no general order just as I am thinking of these things.

Signature Beverage Package can be upgraded to Elite package for $5.00 we day plus gratuity, they said the total charge would be $39.00 per person.

Normally on the first day the Beverage Servers would have table set up to sell the Wine Packages, well tables were set up but not selling the wine package they had bottles in two groups, one was what wines offered under Signature the other for Elite. In the past my Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling would be in the Elite and Celler Master 2 Wine package but it was now part of the Signature Package so no need to upgrade to the Elite package for me.

There was no soliciting of the Cellar Master Wine packages, I do not think they are offering this at all.

You know how in the past the first day they are soliciting for the Wine Tasting and selling the Wine package when you are in the Lifo, well now a server is going around soliciting to order and upgrade your meal in the Main Dining Room. Offering Crab Legs and Jumbo Shrimp Cocktails.

For dinner we have Fixed Early, they placed us at s 4 top with place setting for two at a window toward the aft starboard. Table 49.

They were pushing most to use the QR code’s for the menu but they did bring us menus, but the dessert is now listed with everything and you order that with your main course.

Servers in the Main Dining Room…. The uniform is the same but in the past it seemed the Assistant Server had a slightly different uniform, everyone wore the same 

. Plus not really able to tell who your actual server was , there might not be just one or two. There were 4 different ones that brought things to our table. There did not appear to be one person doing a specific job.

By the time dessert came around they forgot what we had ordered, there was no offer for bringing coffee or even the liquor cordials. I kept looking all around us to see if any one had coffee and there was none , finally several tables away I saw a server with a small pot of what I would guess to be coffee but definitely not like it had been in the past where the Assistant Servers would come around asking if you wanted coffee and give you the cup and saucer.

Also no YumYum Man outside the Dining Room Door but that was starting to go away pre covid.

We did stop by the shops, there has been some remodeling, a few more walls built up in the shops area, for merchandise not a single thing has the the Holland America logo on the outside of a garment. A few on the inside tags. I guess this is one way not to offer the discount on logo wear 😉

I have not yet found out the number of how many are onboard but the Dining Room for fixed felt like it was  at 70%. The shops were busy but they they were having some kind of drawing. Out and about such as the Ocean Bar was quiet with really no one there.

 

We decided to call it an early night, we were both a bit exhausted . 

 

I am going to sign off for tonight but will try to post pictures I previously had not posted.

 

742F08AB-DF07-44A7-947A-0BC3808E2819.jpeg

4BDF705F-5886-4C81-8784-3325D3F2000E.jpeg

6A8AA74E-4704-4CDC-88DC-452F1E8B2BD2.jpeg

AE4FA738-43D3-4493-8C5D-C8C869037E92.jpeg

91C05CCC-67EE-454E-9EC5-857AD89745A3.jpeg

6990F10A-DE25-4EDB-AFD9-52CCF870EB93.jpeg

6DABFF4B-A4C6-4ECC-93A4-316158CE5E87.png

9478C1EC-9DA8-418B-9ACC-619E2B7206E4.jpeg

Great info Lisa and that WAS a full day and then some.

 

I have coffee with dinner so that might be a problem 😒. It was so nice on the Eurodam when they'd have the cup and saucer there as soon as I sat down.

 

When I read they took the dessert order with dinner I thought "they'll never remember it"....well sure enough, lol.  So I'm not seeing the wisdom there.

 

Bummer about yum-yum 😭 man.

 

Sounds like embarkation went fairly fast.  And I loved that video!!

 

Okay, thanks for checking in after what was surely a tiring day, sleep well with that gentle rocking, my favorite part of the trip, I'm envious and looking forward to more.

 

Bruno

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The internet is extremely slow tonight, to even post to CC I have to go in the hallway to get close to the HotSpot.

Not all the previous pictures uploaded and not in the correct order.

Now most of these are also not uploading, may need to upgrade the WiFi or wait till Monday in Juneau.

They did bring us a printed copy of Where and When for tomorrow’s activities as well as it is on the Navigator app.

13BE04B7-D5DD-4897-B9E6-31168DE138F4.png

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The internet is extremely slow tonight, to even post to CC I have to go in the hallway to get close to the HotSpot.

Not all the previous pictures uploaded and not in the correct order.

Now most of these are also not uploading, may need to upgrade the WiFi or wait till Monday in Juneau.

They did bring us a printed copy of Where and When for tomorrow’s activities as well as it is on the Navigator app.

13BE04B7-D5DD-4897-B9E6-31168DE138F4.png

Am I looking at prices on an MDR menu?!

 

I heard a few years ago it was being considered, major bummer!!  That's just so wrong, even as an upgrade.  Because now that they've opened that door....

 

Included food is our biggest selling point when trying to promote cruising to family and friends, but it's becoming less and less.... however it's a debate for another time.

 

Good night!

 

 

 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Am I looking at prices on an MDR menu?!

 

I heard a few years ago it was being considered, major bummer!!  That's just so wrong, even as an upgrade.  Because now that they've opened that door....

 

Included food is our biggest selling point when trying to promote cruising to family and friends, but it's becoming less and less.... however it's a debate for another time.

 

Good night!

 

 

 

Paying for some extra menu items is not new and was already there in 2019, there just are a few more now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The practice of asking people to order their dessert at the same time they order the entrees was being done on my last HAL cruise on Oosterdam in December 2019.  I politely told the waiter that I would not be ordering dessert until after I ate!  Who knows what you want, if anything, before your meal??  The waiters seemed to be fine with waiting.  Don't know whose idea it was to try to get orders pre dinner!

 

Thank you Lisa for posting!  I'm excited to be even just reading about this cruise!

 

~Nancy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...