Jump to content

LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

As expected, 0 entertainment.

Comedy isn't entertainment? Music isn't entertainment? A movie isn't entertainment?

 

Entertainment must be very limited by some definitions. By the way, the Comedy and 60s, 70s and 80s music, and possibly the movie would be fine for us.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam 

last night we gained an hour of sleep but still work up our normal time so we were an hour early. It was extremely foggy but it has ever so slightly cleared up. 
Internet it extremely slow this morning and took me over 30 minutes to get logged in. But possibly weather was a problem. 
I will say if you are planning to NEED the internet for work purposes “Don’t “. 
Some I did not mention but it has been talked about was there are no plastic bottles. The water bottles are aluminum. I will post a picture below. Also we got lucky we have one of the fridges that is extremely cold. I know these can be hit or miss and sometimes going to Alaska I have been know to place cans of soda out on the balcony because the outside was much colder.😉

today will be a bit relaxing. Cruising into Juneau has always been one of our favorite scenic things to do. Then I have a 1:30 massage. At this point I am not sure if we will even get off the ship. Since we are returning 6 weeks from today we will get off then for sure.

Depending how we dock in Juneau there is that slight possibility that the webcam will show the aft end of our ship and if that is the case we will be able to WAVE at every one. 😃🤞🏻👋

Also current balcony view and from inside I could not hear fog horn but definitely heard loudly on the balcony.

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, zelker said:

Gee, thanks, John.  🐒 Now I’ll be hearing his voice in my head saying that all day.  🤪 

 

I think minkes are typically seen in the Cook Inlet.  We’ve never been lucky enough to see one.

 

We have seen Minke whales in the Puget Sound as far south as Anderson Island (south of Narrows Bridge). They are pretty cool to watch when showing off their spy-hopping skills or full breach splashes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, atexsix said:

 

I hit a paywall, can someone give a synopsis please?

 

 

 

 

 

I don't want to de-rail this wonderful thread.  Here's a link that provides an over view of the technology and the risks associated with it.  In a nutshell, a QR, or Quick Response code simply redirects the user to another location when scanned.  You must have faith that the location that you are being redirected to is safe.

 

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/what-is-a-qr-code-how-to-scan

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jimgev said:

You're doing better than me. When I click on a restaurant page, it closes the app.

The same thing happens for my husband on his iPad and we are on the ship, but I got thinking he might not have his iPad updated with the newest version so it may not be compatible with the Navigator. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The same thing happens for my husband on his iPad and we are on the ship, but I got thinking he might not have his iPad updated with the newest version so it may not be compatible with the Navigator. 

Thanks Lisa  That may very well be the problem. I use my phone almost exclusively for communications (phone, email and text). I do internet stuff on my computer. So my phone is likely not up to date on everything.

Jim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

 

I don't want to de-rail this wonderful thread.  Here's a link that provides an over view of the technology and the risks associated with it.  In a nutshell, a QR, or Quick Response code simply redirects the user to another location when scanned.  You must have faith that the location that you are being redirected to is safe.

 

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/what-is-a-qr-code-how-to-scan

Your statement is all I need, thanks.  Don't even need to read the article, I can fill in the blanks.  

 

And no, I don't have faith in it, because the line between whose watching and tracking us at any given moment, whether it be android, Alexa, even our refrigerators, is getting more blurred.  But as you said, that's a discussion for another time. 

 

 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those also on board, do you agree with Lisa that the quality of the food has not been impressive? and how about the ship? Lisa said she's in mighty fine, "looks like new" shape. Do you agree?

 

I had asked if anything else was done to the N.A. during its emergency dry dock in February of last year (in addition to Azipod repair)- have you heard/noticed anything? I'm doubtful, but curious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, zgscl said:

For everyone having trouble with Navigator I have found deleting and reinstalling the app has solved most of my issues. 

Yes, this worked for me also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Morning from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam 

last night we gained an hour of sleep but still work up our normal time so we were an hour early. It was extremely foggy but it has ever so slightly cleared up. 
Internet it extremely slow this morning and took me over 30 minutes to get logged in. But possibly weather was a problem. 
I will say if you are planning to NEED the internet for work purposes “Don’t “. 
Some I did not mention but it has been talked about was there are no plastic bottles. The water bottles are aluminum. I will post a picture below. Also we got lucky we have one of the fridges that is extremely cold. I know these can be hit or miss and sometimes going to Alaska I have been know to place cans of soda out on the balcony because the outside was much colder.😉

today will be a bit relaxing. Cruising into Juneau has always been one of our favorite scenic things to do. Then I have a 1:30 massage. At this point I am not sure if we will even get off the ship. Since we are returning 6 weeks from today we will get off then for sure.

Depending how we dock in Juneau there is that slight possibility that the webcam will show the aft end of our ship and if that is the case we will be able to WAVE at every one. 😃🤞🏻👋

Also current balcony view and from inside I could not hear fog horn but definitely heard loudly on the balcony.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That would be great if we could see you from the cam because there really were not good views in Seattle when you left and it was an early departure at that, which half of us missed 😞

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Water out of a can does not appeal to my DW.  Are there any other options or ideas?

 

 

Maybe pack some plastic throwaway cups for water?  Have your steward deliver ice at evening turndown which is what I do to deal with the warm fridge issue. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Morning from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam 

last night we gained an hour of sleep but still work up our normal time so we were an hour early. It was extremely foggy but it has ever so slightly cleared up. 
Internet it extremely slow this morning and took me over 30 minutes to get logged in. But possibly weather was a problem. 
I will say if you are planning to NEED the internet for work purposes “Don’t “. 
Some I did not mention but it has been talked about was there are no plastic bottles. The water bottles are aluminum. I will post a picture below. Also we got lucky we have one of the fridges that is extremely cold. I know these can be hit or miss and sometimes going to Alaska I have been know to place cans of soda out on the balcony because the outside was much colder.😉

today will be a bit relaxing. Cruising into Juneau has always been one of our favorite scenic things to do. Then I have a 1:30 massage. At this point I am not sure if we will even get off the ship. Since we are returning 6 weeks from today we will get off then for sure.

Depending how we dock in Juneau there is that slight possibility that the webcam will show the aft end of our ship and if that is the case we will be able to WAVE at every one. 😃🤞🏻👋

Also current balcony view and from inside I could not hear fog horn but definitely heard loudly on the balcony.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also, doesn't look too bad weatherwise in Juneau, Mt. Roberts not fogged in, for now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, atexsix said:

 

Maybe pack some plastic throwaway cups for water?  Have your steward deliver ice at evening turndown which is what I do to deal with the warm fridge issue. 

NO, the whole point is NO PLASTIC on board. Everyone is trying to go green. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Maybe pack some plastic throwaway cups for water?  Have your steward deliver ice at evening turndown which is what I do to deal with the warm fridge issue. 

Or just use the glasses that are availabe on the ship? No need to bring a disposable plastic cup to transfer the water to.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Wonder if the Navigator Appl. is like the Medallion appl. on Princess. Princess' appl. is so full of errors , works for some, not others.

Hi Lisa, I remember you well from the Wave  and the banner in San Diego from my Oosterdam sailings.Those were such fun days.

If you see my friend Pia on board, say hi. She has been emailing us so between your Live and her emails, feel like we are on board too.

We sail almost exclusively with Princess but decided to try HAL again now that we will have newer ships sailing from San Diego.

Our phones have always worked well in Alaska and we can post photos easily as well. Less  frustrating than the internet on board.

Happy sailing to you.Look forward to your daily postings.

Edited by san diego sue
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, woodworker&knitter said:

NO, the whole point is NO PLASTIC on board. Everyone is trying to go green. 

 

If people are THAT green as you put it, then they can bring a commuter mug with a lid.  

 

 

 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Neat!  Once I start going out to restaurants again I’ll have to see if any use that here…technology is amazing if it works.  Thanks! 

 

I have tried reading QR codes on shops with my phone camera - but you need to have internet to open the link - and I don't have a data plan...   I'm hoping that on the ships the link will take you to a site on the Navigator and you don't need to have a data plan on your phone.

 

Sorry, having now read on, I see most of my questions are answered.  

Edited by Vict0riann
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Wonder if the Navigator Appl. is like the Medallion appl. on Princess. Princess' appl. is so full of errors , works for some, not others.

Hi Lisa, I remember you well from the Wave  and the banner in San Diego from my Oosterdam sailings.Those were such fun days.

If you see my friend Pia on board, say hi. She has been emailing us so between your Live and her emails, feel like we are on board too.

We sail almost exclusively with Princess but decided to try HAL again now that we will have newer ships sailing from San Diego.

Happy sailing to you.Look forward to your daily postings.

I remember the Oosterdam waves in San Diego 

damwave1-28-12gtv.JPG

  • Like 14
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, zgscl said:

For me I am on the home page, then when you scroll down under dining you can select the restaurant and on that page there is a link to the menus 

372A38EE-7FC3-45A9-9DC5-87A0179CA7BC.png

 

11 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

From the Home Screen on the app you should see Dining and below that heading are The Dining Room, Lido… just swipe left until you see the restaurant you are looking for and tap on that. Then just tap on the menu you want to see. 

Thank you both. When I try this, I get a message to please see guest services for the current menu. I will keep trying, though. Maybe I will uninstall the app and reinstall it to see if that helps. I appreciate your answers. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dmcfad2 said:

 

Thank you both. When I try this, I get a message to please see guest services for the current menu. I will keep trying, though. Maybe I will uninstall the app and reinstall it to see if that helps. I appreciate your answers. 

Are you on the ship?  If not, the QR code is directing you to an address on the ship's internal wifi, and not to the internet.  You will not get the menu unless you are on the ship.

 

Roy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Water out of a can does not appeal to my DW.  Are there any other options or ideas?

 

I can't stand the metallic taste of this stuff so if we can't bring bottled water (glass, not plastic) on then I will be relegated to buying Aqua Panna (still) which at least "should" be available at the loyalty discount out of the minibar and hopefully included in beverage packages (maybe someone onboard that has the HIA promo can confirm this?).  I also drink San Pellegrino (sparkling) from other venues, sadly not discountable and don't think it's included in any beverage packages although I believe Perrier is.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...