LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

8 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Thank you both. When I try this, I get a message to please see guest services for the current menu. I will keep trying, though. Maybe I will uninstall the app and reinstall it to see if that helps. I appreciate your answers. 

We're embarking on 8/28 and I could see Saturday's dinner menu and last night's too (hasn't been updated for today yet).  We're on Apple devices and we both recently just had updates to the Navigator show up, which we did, so check there first to see if you have one showing, and if not, then yes, try uninstall and reinstall.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

I can't stand the metallic taste of this stuff so if we can't bring bottled water (glass, not plastic) on then I will be relegated to buying Aqua Panna (still) which at least "should" be available at the loyalty discount out of the minibar and hopefully included in beverage packages (maybe someone onboard that has the HIA promo can confirm this?).  I also drink San Pellegrino (sparkling) from other venues, sadly not discountable and don't think it's included in any beverage packages although I believe Perrier is.  

Perhaps that's the idea, to lead you to the minibar, what a surprise!  

Perrier or Pellegrino are decent though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Maybe pack some plastic throwaway cups for water?  Have your steward deliver ice at evening turndown which is what I do to deal with the warm fridge issue. 

It has been reported that Stewards only come into your cabin during day and that you have to request turndown service. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

When I go to the restaurant pages on my Navigator each one says “Please see Guest Services for the current menu”. We don’t sail until 2022, would that be why they’re not showing?

I get the same. I sail on Zuiderdam in September. 🤷‍♀️

49 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Water out of a can does not appeal to my DW.  Are there any other options or ideas?

Seth Wayne had a live presentation recently on why Hal dropped the plastic water bottles. Basic reason was to be more environmentally friendly! Sounded to me like this is the only option other than bringing your own water bottle. 

The one’s with built in filter would work from bathroom tap. I’m sure refilling personal water bottles from Lido is still a not allowed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

I hit a paywall, can someone give a synopsis please?

I was able to read the article by using Private browsing in my iPhone.😉

Synopsis:

The codes have gained popularity with the pandemic, and restaurants and other businesses are leveraging them in several ways. By using less staff ( no one taking orders or billing), they can cut costs 30-50%. There’s more information regarding privacy issues, but here is an excerpt.

…“But the spread of the codes has also let businesses integrate more tools for tracking, targeting and analytics, raising red flags for privacy experts. That’s because QR codes can store digital information such as when, where and how often a scan occurs. They can also open an app or a website that then tracks people’s personal information or requires them to input it.

As a result, QR codes have allowed some restaurants to build a database of their customers’ order histories and contact information. At retail chains, people may soon be confronted by personalized offers and incentives marketed within QR code payment systems.

“People don’t understand that when you use a QR code, it inserts the entire apparatus of online tracking between you and your meal,” said Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union. “Suddenly your offline activity of sitting down for a meal has become part of the online advertising empire.”

Now back to regularly scheduled programming. Sorry, Lisa.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It has been reported that Stewards only come into your cabin during day and that you have to request turndown service. 

Oh.  Wow.  Just going to have to stop in Crow's Nest and get drinks/ice for when we retire to our stateroom for the night.  I think Lido Bar is closed by then.  

Or I can call room service which they can place outside the door if they want to minimize contact. 

Another hoop to jump through just to enjoy a vacation.  

I wonder how much of this is HAL vs. the CDC.  Because so much of it is antithetical to passenger comfort.  I'm not convinced they suddenly went "woke" on greenness.  

I'm not complaining, just a little bewildered and wondering if we should have waited to book, too late now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

The one’s with built in filter would work from bathroom tap. I’m sure refilling personal water bottles from Lido is still a not allowed.

I just had the server bring me 3 glasses of water and I filled my personal water bottle that was in the Lido.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I was able to read the article by using Private browsing in my iPhone.😉

Synopsis:

The codes have gained popularity with the pandemic, and restaurants and other businesses are leveraging them in several ways. By using less staff ( no one taking orders or billing), they can cut costs 30-50%. There’s more information regarding privacy issues, but here is an excerpt.

…“But the spread of the codes has also let businesses integrate more tools for tracking, targeting and analytics, raising red flags for privacy experts. That’s because QR codes can store digital information such as when, where and how often a scan occurs. They can also open an app or a website that then tracks people’s personal information or requires them to input it.

As a result, QR codes have allowed some restaurants to build a database of their customers’ order histories and contact information. At retail chains, people may soon be confronted by personalized offers and incentives marketed within QR code payment systems.

“People don’t understand that when you use a QR code, it inserts the entire apparatus of online tracking between you and your meal,” said Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union. “Suddenly your offline activity of sitting down for a meal has become part of the online advertising empire.”

Now back to regularly scheduled programming. Sorry, Lisa.

Thanks.  It's the main reason I avoid all but the necessary apps, and I would NEVER use something like Facebook because you surrender all permissions, pretty slick of them.

Okay, sorry Lisa.

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The water bottles are aluminum. I will post a picture below. Also we got lucky we have one of the fridges that is extremely cold.

The small bottles are aluminum, one can also order the large 1 liter bottles that are glass (or so they say)

One of the keys to the Fridges is to leave the cubbyhole door open about an inch or two, else the little cubbyhole the fridge is in gets hot and the fridge only cools relative the space it is in. I take a large paperclip in my travel bag just for that fridge door opener.Put the paperclip on the middle of the door top to keep it open - helps a lot.

• Like 10

I just purchased a "12 bottle open water package" for $49.56 yesterday. 

We already had the aluminum water cans on our March 2020 cruise. We saw a lot of folks with their personal water bottles, filling up regular water glasses in Lido, then pouring into their bottles. 

• Like 4

Regarding the water in stainless steel bottles my husband and I both thought it was awful on our last HAL cruise in Feb. 2020.  We had the drink package but had to purchase the glass bottles of Aqua Panna because water bottles over 500ml are not part of the package.  In the past we have carried water on to get started.  Purchased Evian after that.  This will be more difficult to do with the new perimeters.  I’ve been researching boxed spring water and plan to purchase and give it a try.  Even  if we like it the amount/volume permitted to be brought on is limited.  Our next cruise is Dec.1 on the Rotterdam.  11nights southern Caribbean.  I hope the water “restrictions “ will be eased before we board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

The small bottles are aluminum, one can also order the large 1 liter bottles that are glass (or so they say)

One of the keys to the Fridges is to leave the cubbyhole door open about an inch or two, else the little cubbyhole the fridge is in gets hot and the fridge only cools relative the space it is in. I take a large paperclip in my travel bag just for that fridge door opener.Put the paperclip on the middle of the door top to keep it open - helps a lot.

Great advice, thank you!  I've noticed newer hotels are no longer putting them into those cubbyholes.

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Are you on the ship?  If not, the QR code is directing you to an address on the ship's internal wifi, and not to the internet.  You will not get the menu unless you are on the ship.

Roy

No, I’m at home. But some have reported it works from home.

9 minutes ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

Regarding the water in stainless steel bottles my husband and I both thought it was awful on our last HAL cruise in Feb. 2020.  We had the drink package but had to purchase the glass bottles of Aqua Panna because water bottles over 500ml are not part of the package.  In the past we have carried water on to get started.  Purchased Evian after that.  This will be more difficult to do with the new perimeters.  I’ve been researching boxed spring water and plan to purchase and give it a try.  Even  if we like it the amount/volume permitted to be brought on is limited.  Our next cruise is Dec.1 on the Rotterdam.  11nights southern Caribbean.  I hope the water “restrictions “ will be eased before we board.

Spring water in boxes??  Do tell!!  (please)

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Water out of a can does not appeal to my DW.  Are there any other options or ideas?

Unfortunately no other options, although not as bad drinking it out of the cannas I thought it would be.As for taste, I have had much worse. It’s actually ok.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I just purchased a "12 bottle open water package" for $49.56 yesterday. 

Not here to do publicity for Princess but, although the size might be a bit different, the price sure isn't 😏 HAL needs to get inline with the rest of the world LOL

Bottled Water PackageCA$9.56 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

12 (500 ml) bottles of water conveniently delivered to the stateroom. Price includes service charge.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

Not here to do publicity for Princess but, although the size might be a bit different, the price sure isn't 😏 HAL needs to get inline with the rest of the world LOL

Bottled Water PackageCA$9.56 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

12 (500 ml) bottles of water conveniently delivered to the stateroom. Price includes service charge.

😲😲😲

40 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

What about the pillow chocolates?????😭

• Like 5