LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hey thanks as I am glad I stumbled across this.

Since my flight is the next day, my ship (RCI) won't allow me to purchase an airport transfer unless my flight is that day.  I say silly and why would they care when I fly once I am off the ship..

so good to know. I fly in a day early and will grab a cab too.  In fact given covid, it might even be better to take a cab with so many less folks than a bus.

44 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yes we have had that option when we book the hotel through HAL, which we have done many times.  However, I believe the OP booked their own hotel.

Oceansaway17 said it was a RCI ship.  We've had no problem with HAL, we didn't book our hotel through HAL, but did book air so they should know when our flight is. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself here) 😉  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Oceansaway17 said it was a RCI ship.  We've had no problem with HAL, we didn't book our hotel through HAL, but did book air so they should know when our flight is.

Yes, I missed that it was RCI.  Thanks for finding that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, just_cruising_along said:

I see that the CDC color coded site has changed the Nieuw Amsterdam to orange, from green, meaning the CDC is monitoring for COVID. Just curious if you have heard any news about this on board?  

According to the CDC orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.  

CDC Cruise Ship Color Status

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 12.18.26 PM.png

A heads up  - two pax were tested yesterday onboard Nieuw A because they displayed "Covid-like" symptoms (one had developed a cough and the other had "Montezuma's Alaskan cousin's revenge" is prob the best way to put it).

Both were Covid-19 tested onboard by Nieuw A's dedicated medical staff with negative results for the disease.

As a result. there are, as of today, zero confirmed Covid cases onboard Nieuw A and let's keep it that way!

• Like 50
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A heads up  - two pax were tested yesterday onboard Nieuw A because they displayed "Covid-like" symptoms (one had developed a cough and the other had "Montezuma's Alaskan cousin's revenge" is prob the best way to put it).

Both were Covid-19 tested onboard by Nieuw A's dedicated medical staff with negative results for the disease.

As a result. there are, as of today, zero confirmed Covid cases onboard Nieuw A and let's keep it that way!

AMEN!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The on demand movie options are overwhelming. One could spend their entire cruise watching movies without repeating any, I think.  

My husband cruises with me, not because he loves cruising, but because I do. He welcomes the movies, and watches them throughout the cruise. I often join him and we get caught up on some of the movies that we've missed ( although I do other things as well).

• Like 4

Photo I took a little after 6:00 pm of the ship leaving Sitka. So nice to have HAL ships back, especially on this sunny day. Post 823 shows arrival, but dam tree is somewhat in the way.

It is wonderful to follow this cruise.

NA leaving 6ish.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Not exactly on topic, but I was curious how you know a lot of the ship details and inner workings. Do you work for HAL?

Good Evening from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam, not a surprise at this point WiFi went down shortly after my last post. Not sure how long it will last now so May not go into much detail.

First there is Logo Wear in the shops, quite a bit of it.. Even restock of cosmetics, I did not see the color lipstick I wanted but they called me this evening that they found it. The pricing is slightly less than I would pay at Macy’s and no tax so I am good with that.

Our excursion today was of course through Hal but something that was surprising was that they were keeping your groups with our own ship. Which I would prefer since Hal was requiring 100% vaccinated RCI was doing the 95% for Alaska. So it ends up both ships in port and we are sharing the shuttle bus into town. Our excursion did not meet at the pier most of the excursions required you take the shuttle bus into town. Half of the bus was passengers from Serenade if the Seas.

once on town we then met up with our group. We first went to Fortress of The Bear. They were actually entertaining, or at least the black bears were. The brown grizzlies were just hanging in the water.

Then went back into town where we got back on the boat St Maria that we were on last night at ICP. Otters were limited but we saw lots of whales. I got a great video of a breach but know there will be no way they will upload so may try to do it tomorrow.

Todays weather was sunny and beautiful but a bit cool.

We did not get back to the ship till 3 and I was starving since had not eaten dine 8 this morning so we had a Dive Burger, I love the Cannonball. 
Service in the Dining Room has definitely improved. 
Let’s see now if I can upload photos 

305E5D69-7861-40C8-A2F6-BBB3AEB7C795.jpeg

F8A3A0A8-66A6-4ED1-B7E9-46ED37BF0CEB.jpeg

C7BF02DF-CA05-4B32-AB37-C3644CAD469F.jpeg

80EF6EFB-4742-4E2B-A61F-5D13670834C1.jpeg

2EB2AC86-1D99-4027-8302-7368061091C3.jpeg

E1746AB1-CF6D-4A78-9973-4D9C2A463572.jpeg

6F86D10F-6E15-4EFC-8B38-73E298D13321.jpeg

F819D4F6-44B4-4A20-99D0-B205FB877193.jpeg

75A13E21-F600-40A2-B70A-A88142DCCF81.jpeg

1A385872-CFA0-4D2C-83BA-AC44CD9D04DA.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

Ever thought of writing a book?

At times, yes 😉 I like the style of former HAL captain Hans Mateboer who wrote several, if you include his children books. And a veteran Dutch security officer by the name of Cornelis "Cor" Meijer "Ome Cor" / Uncle Cor (the big guy on the left in the 2nd pic) also wrote a book (in Dutch) about his experiences. Having said that, I wrote a book about the history of the PD I worked for and it (researching/gathering and writing/typing) takes a lot of one's time. So then, I come back to my senses 🙂  

51p-4Q4yeCL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HAL Security Officer Cornelis 'Cor' Meijer & Capt. Hans Eulderink.jpg

• Like 17

Lisa, thank you for the wonderful pictures of sunny Sitka and the wildlife--just so nice to see these places again.  We really appreciate your taking the time to write about your experiences and (everyone's) answering our questions. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

At times, yes 😉 I like the style of former HAL captain Hans Mateboer who wrote several, if you include his children books. And a veteran Dutch security officer by the name of Cornelis "Cor" Meijer "Ome Cor" / Uncle Cor (the big guy on the left in the 2nd pic) also wrote a book (in Dutch) about his experiences. Having said that, I wrote a book about the history of the PD I worked for and it (researching/gathering and writing/typing) takes a lot of one's time. So then, I come back to my senses 🙂  

51p-4Q4yeCL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HAL Security Officer Cornelis 'Cor' Meijer & Capt. Hans Eulderink.jpg

The man looks impressive, like a crossover between "Bromsnor" from Dutch series "Swiebertje" and captain Baines form the Onedin Line!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, just_cruising_along said:

I see that the CDC color coded site has changed the Nieuw Amsterdam to orange, from green, meaning the CDC is monitoring for COVID. Just curious if you have heard any news about this on board?  

According to the CDC orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.  

CDC Cruise Ship Color Status

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 12.18.26 PM.png

Could it be that the NA is being monitored because it's the only HAL ship that is sailing at the moment? I can imagine that the CDC is watching all ships very closely at the moment to see how things go after re-opening cruises. So the rest of the HAL ships are all green because they aren't sailing with passengers yet? The Eurodam will only start sailing with passengers on Aug 15th (God willing with me on board) - sailing out of Piraeus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DonahCBrown said:

Just heard about massive earthquake in Aleutians and tsunami warning for Alaska.  You folks okay?

My earthquake app rang throughout the night with an 8.2/Alaska Aleutian Island, a  7.2/Alaska Peninsula, a 6.2/Sea of Chignik and a 6.1/Perryville AK - hopeful for calm seas and no harmful effects. 

• Like 1

I'm so thankful for your patience with us and for all your updates.  It really feels like we're there with you.  I'm sailing the same cruise in September and feel much more prepared now..having taken little notes here and there from your suggestions!  How fun that you will be back to sail this same cruise again soon! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchie50 said:

Could it be that the NA is being monitored because it's the only HAL ship that is sailing at the moment? I can imagine that the CDC is watching all ships very closely at the moment to see how things go after re-opening cruises. So the rest of the HAL ships are all green because they aren't sailing with passengers yet? The Eurodam will only start sailing with passengers on Aug 15th (God willing with me on board) - sailing out of Piraeus.

Read post # 903! All is well.