Jump to content

LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!


Recommended Posts

Lisa, thank you for your comments and pictures from yesterday. Looking forward to more. Just reading about your cruise and all your pictures pushed me over the edge and we booked the August 28th sailing today. I can’t wait!

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes it was organized for first time having two ships, just not sure it was a good idea to co mingle ships. Taking the bus like this one would have no idea how to do contact tracing plus the buses were packed not separated seating like HAL did for transfers to the pier.

Agree, that IS risky, all HAL's efforts could be trumped by a ship making less of an effort.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I'm good with that, as long as I get tipped.  😁

 

(doesn't look like crew wears the one that has the logos all over it from pics I've seen so far, just the one that has the single logo off to the side)

True they do not wear the mask with the logos all over it. Interesting though the security crew at the gangway wear the generic disposable masks.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I would be interested about the quality of the evening entertainment along Music Walk?🎶🎶🎶

Sorry, Someone else may need to answer, Tom and I just don’t do a lot of night life, plus we tend to not want to sit close around people we don’t know. We have not checked out any entertainment. Don’t know if we will get a chance to.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

THANK YOU Lisa for this “LIVE” thread and all my fellow enthusiasts contributing. You have collectively convinced me to book the 8/14 sailing and assisted in planning my nightly dining venues!!! 
Upselling myself was unassisted and no one’s fault but my own.

Taking Dear Sister. Her first Alaska and first HAL voyage ( !!Mo exclamations!!)

<take THAT punctuation police>
 

Lisa, you have already answered most every question I could think up .. but here’s two 

1. Are the common area saunas operating and available ?

 

2. How are the penguins holding up?


Safe Travels All

David

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wondering if you had a response to your query about not being invited to the 4 and 5 Star Mariner event?

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Sorry, Someone else may need to answer, Tom and I just don’t do a lot of night life, plus we tend to not want to sit close around people we don’t know. We have not checked out any entertainment. Don’t know if we will get a chance to.


Was the Pinnacle open for lunch any of the port days (other than Glacier Bay/Icy Strait point)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Sorry, Someone else may need to answer, Tom and I just don’t do a lot of night life, plus we tend to not want to sit close around people we don’t know. We have not checked out any entertainment. Don’t know if we will get a chance to.

Thanks Thanks for replying but most of all thanks  for taking us along. Looking forward to having the same experience after next week. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The weather here in Ketchikan has cleared up and there is actually some sun shining through those clouds. We walked into town, first stopping in Tongass Trading Post. Always good buys there, excellent prices. Then wen across the street to have lunch at Annebell’s which has been a Ketchikan tradition for lunch for many years. Tom of course had to have his Halibut Fish and Chips.

We then headed back to the ship. 
 

This afternoon I needed to call the Club Orange Concierge to see if they could Assist, we have had several charges on our statement for items covered on the Signature Beverage Package. Stupid things like cans of water, a can of Ginger Ale and my Riesling and a beer for Tom when we had lunch in the Pinnacle. 
Anyway I decided to ask about if there will be a   Mariner Reception or lunch on the last day. She quickly answered they would not be having any Mariner gatherings the whole Alaska season. I then asked about the 4 and 5 reception that was held on Sunday. She then stated “You did not get your invitation?” The answer to that is no. She then said she would have the Beverage department check into the items charged and have her supervisor call me. 
I later got a call from the Guest Relations Manager who was actually immediately a bit rude. She started out saying you were invited to that Mariner party I prepared the invitation myself. Then goes on to say your cabin steward delivered it to you. Again, no we did not receive. It was then a Oh Well that is too bad you did not get it.

I expected hiccups but not to be treated rudely. 
The problems with getting charges you should not have has been going on long before the pause. 
It really is sad that you have to continue to watch this kind of stuff. Tonight I will go back to the shops to get our 5% discount they did not give us. You can call me cheap but that is $6.00 plus with the other charges it’s $22.00 worth of mistake. They do add up.

  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, zgscl said:


Was the Pinnacle open for lunch any of the port days (other than Glacier Bay/Icy Strait point)

I honestly do not know that answer. Sorry, I will ask or at least try to remember to ask when we Dine there tomorrow night.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, O2cruise21 said:

THANK YOU Lisa for this “LIVE” thread and all my fellow enthusiasts contributing. You have collectively convinced me to book the 8/14 sailing and assisted in planning my nightly dining venues!!! 
Upselling myself was unassisted and no one’s fault but my own.

Taking Dear Sister. Her first Alaska and first HAL voyage ( !!Mo exclamations!!)

<take THAT punctuation police>
 

Lisa, you have already answered most every question I could think up .. but here’s two 

1. Are the common area saunas operating and available ?

 

2. How are the penguins holding up?


Safe Travels All

David

I believe everything is open, but who knows if that will continue, just like not having to wear face masks on board. I honestly would not be surprised to have them start requiring.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Lisa, have a wonderful evening onboard, I assume it’s lobster time.Enjoy your day tomorrow.

      

No lobster, a bit more scaled down second Gala night.

 

8FC1A8E5-A5EF-4346-8361-8686A1AF65BC.png

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I honestly do not know that answer. Sorry, I will ask or at least try to remember to ask when we Dine there tomorrow night.

Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

 

This afternoon I needed to call the Club Orange Concierge to see if they could Assist, we have had several charges on our statement for items covered on the Signature Beverage Package. Stupid things like cans of water, a can of Ginger Ale and my Riesling and a beer for Tom when we had lunch in the Pinnacle. 
Anyway I decided to ask about if there will be a   Mariner Reception or lunch on the last day. She quickly answered they would not be having any Mariner gatherings the whole Alaska season. I then asked about the 4 and 5 reception that was held on Sunday. She then stated “You did not get your invitation?” The answer to that is no. She then said she would have the Beverage department check into the items charged and have her supervisor call me. 
I later got a call from the Guest Relations Manager who was actually immediately a bit rude. She started out saying you were invited to that Mariner party I prepared the invitation myself. Then goes on to say your cabin steward delivered it to you. Again, no we did not receive. It was then a Oh Well that is too bad you did not get it.

I expected hiccups but not to be treated rudely. 
The problems with getting charges you should not have has been going on long before the pause. 
It really is sad that you have to continue to watch this kind of stuff. Tonight I will go back to the shops to get our 5% discount they did not give us. You can call me cheap but that is $6.00 plus with the other charges it’s $22.00 worth of mistake. They do add up.

Oh I forgot to mention what they offered for not getting invited to the Mariner Party, they offered to give us another card for the DAM drink. So I said what good does that do when one already has the Signature Beverage Package. She then stated that is a Special Drink for Mariner. I have no idea what it is who knows maybe it’s a Wang Wang with an extra Wang in it 😂 at this point one just has to laugh.

  • Like 9
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lisa so sorry you received such a poor response to the 4/5 star reception. I’d be contacting Mariner Society for a follow up. Does this mean no tiles are being given out?  So much for nothing has changed from before.  😱

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The weather here in Ketchikan has cleared up and there is actually some sun shining through those clouds. We walked into town, first stopping in Tongass Trading Post. Always good buys there, excellent prices. Then wen across the street to have lunch at Annebell’s which has been a Ketchikan tradition for lunch for many years. Tom of course had to have his Halibut Fish and Chips.

We then headed back to the ship. 
 

This afternoon I needed to call the Club Orange Concierge to see if they could Assist, we have had several charges on our statement for items covered on the Signature Beverage Package. Stupid things like cans of water, a can of Ginger Ale and my Riesling and a beer for Tom when we had lunch in the Pinnacle. 
Anyway I decided to ask about if there will be a   Mariner Reception or lunch on the last day. She quickly answered they would not be having any Mariner gatherings the whole Alaska season. I then asked about the 4 and 5 reception that was held on Sunday. She then stated “You did not get your invitation?” The answer to that is no. She then said she would have the Beverage department check into the items charged and have her supervisor call me. 
I later got a call from the Guest Relations Manager who was actually immediately a bit rude. She started out saying you were invited to that Mariner party I prepared the invitation myself. Then goes on to say your cabin steward delivered it to you. Again, no we did not receive. It was then a Oh Well that is too bad you did not get it.

I expected hiccups but not to be treated rudely. 
The problems with getting charges you should not have has been going on long before the pause. 
It really is sad that you have to continue to watch this kind of stuff. Tonight I will go back to the shops to get our 5% discount they did not give us. You can call me cheap but that is $6.00 plus with the other charges it’s $22.00 worth of mistake. They do add up.

Hi Lisa, 

Sorry to hear of the hiccups.  I would go back to the shops as well for the additional percent off.  Did you happen to speak with Seth about not receiving the card for the 4 and 5 star reception.  As he is brand ambassador you would think that he would fix something more substantial for you.  It was the moment that you missed, the gathering,  some drink ticket can’t offset that.  
Mary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter (30) says that the evening entertainment has been great. She likes BB King. It has been hopping every night. There always seems to be a crowd for the dueling pianos.  The Lincoln Center is standing room only

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Oh I forgot to mention what they offered for not getting invited to the Mariner Party, they offered to give us another card for the DAM drink. So I said what good does that do when one already has the Signature Beverage Package. She then stated that is a Special Drink for Mariner. I have no idea what it is who knows maybe it’s a Wang Wang with an extra Wang in it 😂 at this point one just has to laugh.

That is funny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall, my review of the cruise is that it has been outstanding. The Crew is extremely happy to be back on board and it shows in their performance as well as the people in port. We have eaten twice in the Pinnacle Grill and both meals were exceptional. We had lobster last night in the PG. The weather has been perfect. Anybody who is having second thoughts needs to put those where they belong. Cruising is back!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I believe everything is open, but who knows if that will continue, just like not having to wear face masks on board. I honestly would not be surprised to have them start requiring.

Good luck trying to enforce wearing masks on a ship that is 100% vaccinated.  Everyone is going to be walking around with food or drink so they don't have to wear a mask. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jakers said:

Overall, my review of the cruise is that it has been outstanding. The Crew is extremely happy to be back on board and it shows in their performance as well as the people in port. We have eaten twice in the Pinnacle Grill and both meals were exceptional. We had lobster last night in the PG. The weather has been perfect. Anybody who is having second thoughts needs to put those where they belong. Cruising is back!

Great to hear. I am on the August 21 sailing. On a cruise.  To Alaska.  Yippee 🤗

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...