LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

8 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Went up to the Lido for a small bite to eat. Saturday through Wednesday Lido lunch was or appeared to be the same entrees at each station with the exception of one main meat entree at the carving station. But suddenly yesterday and today there were different items in the various stations. I also don’t remember seeing the Asian station set up till yesterday and I had walked around once before. At the Asian station they have those good shrimp rice crackers that had been in Tamarind in years past. Now Tamarind has the much larger crackers that are really not flavored.

When we got back our Cabin steward placed our luggage on the bed….hint hint, they are kicking us off. . Then we also received tiles as well as our Port Valet information which I will picture below.

F417FB1F-E356-4586-9CD8-D0189AA4B330.jpeg

AC0C403E-CA0E-47DE-B405-9348463EBA86.jpeg

03CD5050-1710-4E25-ACBA-62FDDEDE4E02.jpeg

527339B9-4AF9-465F-AB7D-4C2D6FBA7A96.jpeg

50302260-9191-41D0-BF09-C2BBD4C5CC74.jpeg

DH & I wanted to use Port Valet for our upcoming Alaska cruise but wanted to stay on board until the last group departs closer to 9AM. (Our flight is not til 2PM) Any idea why using port valet requires certain disembarkation times? (BTW, we used this service on our 1st (and only) Alaska cruise and it worked great.) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Then we also received tiles 

This tile is different than any I have seen before.  I like it.  

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I had one of those hot stone massages a couple of cruises ago and she was ready to sign me up for a few thousand dollars worth of product, when I balked (so much for my relaxation) she dropped a category...this kept going and going until she got something out of me, some lotion I don't think I ever touched.  

I enjoyed a min-facial and shave twice on the Eurodam in 2020.  This was my first for such a treatment.  (Why have I waited for so long!!!)  The spa gentleman who did this also started the spa product spiel.  There was a lotion that he used that I really did enjoy.  I bought a bottle (it was reasonably priced, I thought).  I have never unpacked it from my luggage, however.  Your post will make me to do so.  I really had forgotten about it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is a PR fumble for HAL.  When Celebrity Edge sailed on her first cruise a few weeks ago, RCI's CEO and Chairman, Richard Fain, was aboard (as were other RCI's executives).  There is a You Tube video of Mr. Fain interacting with his guests at the Martini Bar.  

Totally agree. Having them come over from the home office for the sail away is nice, but having them onboard and interacting with guests could be a huge boost. Maybe they didn’t like the MDR menus and decided to stay away 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

DH & I wanted to use Port Valet for our upcoming Alaska cruise but wanted to stay on board until the last group departs closer to 9AM. (Our flight is not til 2PM) Any idea why using port valet requires certain disembarkation times? (BTW, we used this service on our 1st (and only) Alaska cruise and it worked great.) 

I would think with a 2:00 flight you may be assigned 8:30 I do think with current protocols they will be getting everyone off the ship by 9 to start the cleaning process.

• Like 5

Lisa and Tom I just want to thank you for taking so much time away from your cruise to keep us apprised of this historic cruise.

We are so looking forward to our cruise next week. Boarding with an open mind that after this long hiatus that there will be some hitches. We have no meals in the MDR scheduled and will be enjoying all the specialty restaurants and Rudy’s Pop Up. First night the Colonel (DW) and I will be enjoying dinner in the Tamarind with Copper John and his “Child Bride”!

Did Chef Rudy stay on-board the entire cruise?

Again thank you and have a safe and timely trip home.

Bruce

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Lisa...did you receive a boarding pass from the Port Valet program?

Yes and with it was the luggage claim tags and it did show we have TSA pre check so no need to sign up for that appointment thing SeaTac is offering. We have Global Entry so we are good to go.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I decided to try that Fancy Bread Pudding 

That has to go.  That is not an appropriate breakfast entree.  Another one of HAL's Culinary Council Chef's creations that appeals not to this Mariner.  

Not surprised, but yet disappointed, to see the continuation of the McDonald's type of Hash Brown Potato patty.  Breakfast fine dining?  No, and it hasn't been for a very long time!  Even, Amtrak is starting to offer freshly Roasted Potatoes with their egg entrees in the dining cars on their Western LD trains.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Lisa and Tom I just want to thank you for taking so much time away from your cruise to keep us apprised of this historic cruise.

We are so looking forward to our cruise next week. Boarding with an open mind that after this long hiatus that there will be some hitches. We have no meals in the MDR scheduled and will be enjoying all the specialty restaurants and Rudy’s Pop Up. First night the Colonel (DW) and I will be enjoying dinner in the Tamarind with Copper John and his “Child Bride”!

Did Chef Rudy stay on-board the entire cruise?

Again thank you and have a safe and timely trip home.

Bruce

Hi Bruce I am pretty sure he disembarked in Juneau. He has a new restaurant opening on the new Carnival Mardi Gras that has her maiden Inaugural sailing tomorrow. This is the first Carnival ship for Rudy so it was good that he at least stayed with the Hal kitchen crew for a couple of days.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That has to go.  That is not an appropriate breakfast entree.  Another one of HAL's Culinary Council Chef's creations that appeals not to this Mariner.  

Not surprised, but yet disappointed, to see the continuation of the McDonald's type of Hash Brown Potato patty.  Breakfast fine dining?  No, and it hasn't been for a very long time!  Even, Amtrak is starting to offer freshly Roasted Potatoes with their egg entrees in the dining cars on their Western LD trains.  

I make my own Micky D's sandwich with a sausage patty, English muffin and over easy egg. Pick up a slice of cheese or two and you got it.  Better than the packaged item they offer, disgusting.  A fellow passenger asked me where I got it and I told him, "I made it myself."  HAHA!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hi Bruce I am pretty sure he disembarked in Juneau. He has a new restaurant opening on the new Carnival Mardi Gras that has her maiden Inaugural sailing tomorrow. This is the first Carnival ship for Rudy so it was good that he at least stayed with the Hal kitchen crew for a couple of days.

I can imagine it was very hard for him to see some of the struggles behind the scenes and in the Venues after all his work to improve culinary experience over the years; albeit with a decreased budget.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes and with it was the luggage claim tags and it did show we have TSA pre check so no need to sign up for that appointment thing SeaTac is offering. We have Global Entry so we are good to go.

Great  info...thank you.  We booked our flights with HAL.

We are nervous that the first group does not exit until 8:45 am.  Our flight is t 11:15.  We are also TSA pre check.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calicokat said:

Thank you Lisa for all your work informing everyone about The first NA cruise, it was fun to follow along and see the sights once more. 
I would like to know which nights were gala  nights. Was it Sunday and Thursday? 

Yes Sunday and Thursday 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for these reports…it’s almost like being there! Safe travels home and on your upcoming cruises. Appreciate you accepting my FB friend request.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I would be thrilled if they added it as a daily desert in the MDR. But for breakfast? No thank you 

• Like 1

Oh something I did forget to mention. They started handing out menus. When we had lunch in Pinnacle on Tuesday we had menus. Then Last night in the MDR we had menus as well as this morning in the MDR 

. It doesn’t appear anyone is using the QR menus. Plus there was a good portion of time we had no intranet WiFi here on the ship. So the QR code’s were not working.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Lisa, 1 final question, did you receive a voyage log?  I hope this hasn’t been eliminated.

Not yet but we often did not get those till early in the morning of the day we disembarked 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I wish people would stop blaming "bean counters" for everything.  Every business has to make decisions to increase prices to maintain the same level of quality, cut some expenses that they can't justify for the return they get on those expenses, cut staffing to control costs, etc., etc.  

Most businesses have/need number crunchers! Ain't nada wrong with that! It's when those same bean counters make a decision that adversely impacts the MDR operation, more specifically, the level of service in that room, as was/is the case by sending the Filipino wine stewards back to "Go" without collecting their $200 greenbacks, and giving the already busy Indonesian restaurant stewards, none of whom have ever, since 1970 when they first joined HAL, been associated with wine service, the responsibility to, not only take orders for aqua vitae, but then to also serve that John Barleycorn to the tables they are responsible for.

But wait Monsieur, there's more! So, after receiving an ongoing tidy sum of remonstrance which apparently, from reading the above, continues to this day, diddly/zippo is being done about it, yes, that irks those vinopanions who, not that long ago, could order their glogg from a wine Stuart who was responsible for a MDR section, attentive, and would get that bottle of Louis Jadot Clos De La Roche Chateau Pontet-Canet Francophile Pomme de Terre avec de Tomate et d'epices 1923 1/2 give or take a few to your bistro lectern in a reasonable amount of clock and foot work

Off the box and back to my fighting hole 🙈 🙉 🙊

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I would think with a 2:00 flight you may be assigned 8:30 I do think with current protocols they will be getting everyone off the ship by 9 to start the cleaning process.

Thanks for your response and for taking us along on your cruise.  DH says that since I've sailed with you this week, I can cancel our August cruise. I'm pretty sure he was just kidding 😅.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Most businesses have/need number crunchers! Ain't nada wrong with that! It's when those same bean counters make a decision that adversely impacts the MDR operation, more specifically, the level of service in that room, as was/is the case by sending the Filipino wine stewards back to "Go" without collecting their $200 greenbacks, and giving the already busy Indonesian restaurant stewards, none of whom have ever, since 1970 when they first joined HAL, been associated with wine service, the responsibility to, not only take orders for aqua vitae, but then to also serve that John Barleycorn to the tables they are responsible for.

But wait Monsieur, there's more! So, after receiving an ongoing tidy sum of remonstrance which apparently, from reading the above, continues to this day, diddly/zippo is being done about it, yes, that irks those vinopanions who, not that long ago, could order their glogg from a wine Stuart who was responsible for a MDR section, attentive, and would get that bottle of Louis Jadot Clos De La Roche Chateau Pontet-Canet Francophile Pomme de Terre avec de Tomate et d'epices 1923 1/2 give or take a few to your bistro lectern in a reasonable amount of clock and foot work

Off the box and back to my fighting hole 🙈 🙉 🙊

I must jump in here to say that I am one of those “bean counters” and we aren’t the ones that make the decisions.  We provide the information (real news) to management and management makes those decisions.  Leave bean counters out of this, our only task is to tell management that their baby is beautiful or ugly.

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2