Jump to content

Epic vs Getaway


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Yinster said:

The haven and haven cabins in the epic have been done up. One of the changes is no more circular bed and cabin is more like the other ships with the bed against the wall. 

 

The spa on the epic is the biggest one 

 

im booked on the epic for jan 23,2022. i dont like the ship, but i liked to itinerary. you tube videos shows the spa suite with the round bed and the jacuzzi in the livingroom.

 

please let me know how the spa suite has changed, as i'm seriously thinking about cancelling, but dont want to give up the haven experience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been on been on the Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Escape. You'll really enjoy the Getaway much better. Unless you got the best deal ever for the Epic,  that would be my last choice when booking a cruise. This has been discussed over and over, some people just love the Epic for some reason. Enjoy your cruise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, complawyer said:

im booked on the epic for jan 23,2022. i dont like the ship, but i liked to itinerary. you tube videos shows the spa suite with the round bed and the jacuzzi in the livingroom.

 

please let me know how the spa suite has changed, as i'm seriously thinking about cancelling, but dont want to give up the haven experience

As the changes happened during Covid, all we have is what NCL has said. There's a topic on it on the boards 

 If you wish to click on the link.

 

We are hopefully sailing on her again in October so can definitely tell you what changes have happened if we sail. So can others too.

 

Whilst it was a novelty having the bed as the focus in the room, it meant the room felt smaller. 

 

Somehow I get the feeling you already made up your mind

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Yinster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Yinster said:

As the changes happened during Covid, all we have is what NCL has said. There's a topic on it on the boards 

 If you wish to click on the link.

 

We are hopefully sailing on her again in October so can definitely tell you what changes have happened if we sail. So can others too.

 

Whilst it was a novelty having the bed as the focus in the room, it meant the room felt smaller. 

 

Somehow I get the feeling you already made up your mind

 

 

 

 

 

thank  you for the information. if the spa suite actually looks like the photo, im really relieved and am keepingthe reservation.. again, thanks. this really helped confirm my decision

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, ClevelandCruisin said:

This has been discussed over and over, some people just love the Epic for some reason. Enjoy your cruise!

Why do we love Epic? Because the Epic Haven is far and away better than any other Haven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tuxala said:

Why do we love Epic? Because the Epic Haven is far and away better than any other Haven.

What is so much better about the Haven on the Epic? I’ve heard that before on here also. 
 

We are going on the Epic in January (first time in Haven). If the other ships havens aren’t as good, I feel like it would be a huge let down if Epic is our first Haven. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SkierRobUMN said:

What is so much better about the Haven on the Epic? I’ve heard that before on here also. 
 

We are going on the Epic in January (first time in Haven). If the other ships havens aren’t as good, I feel like it would be a huge let down if Epic is our first Haven. 

The Epic was the first NCL ship to have an exclusive restaurant devoted only to Haven guests for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Its a very large area with private sundeck, pool etc.  Prior to Epic, Haven guests dined only breakfast and lunch at Cagneys.   2 ships after Epic (Breakaway and Getaway), the Haven retreat got smaller. It was not until the Plus ships where they finally expanded the Haven.  IMHO, yes Epic did have the best Haven before Joy, Bliss and Encore.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems to me the people who really love the Epic are those who book the Haven.

 

The Epic is my least favorite ship but we took a second cruise on her strictly because of the Southern Caribbean itinerary that was port intensive.  The balcony cabins suck in my opinion and it has nothing to do with the strange bathroom.  It's the wave wall I hate because it makes the cabin feel small and crowded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

fyi, we've been on the epic twice, both times booked into a haven suite, and guess what, i still think the epic sucks, and the getaway has it beat 100 to1. who ever thought up the round beds in a very small cabin must  have been on heavy medication, not to mention the toilet, UGH!,

in all fairness, they do have a great sounding southern carribbean cruise jan 2022, so i talked one of my very close friends into  joining me and my wife.. we booked the 2 bedroom villa and i'm hoping for the best.  to be fair however, as a ship in general, it's not all that bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, tuxala said:

Why do we love Epic? Because the Epic Haven is far and away better than any other Haven.

When did I say anything about the Haven? Guess what... it's still my least favorite. Enjoy your Epic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its an out door walkway, kind of like a board walk that runs along ship. some of the restaurants have both indoor and outdoor seating onthe waterfront, and you can have a nice relaxing meal outside and just watch the ocean drift by, or you can get a seat and just vegg out. i think the sugarcane mojito bar also is inside out outside on the waterfront,  so you can order a mojito, sit outside on the waterfront and just chill out. having been on the getaway twice, i enjoy just sitting out there and just enjoying the calm.

 

while i'm not 100% sure, you may be able to go on you tube video, and ask to see the waterfront if they have a video. 

 

regardless, you wont be disappointed by taking a stroll on the waterfront

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

What is the Waterfront on the Getaway?

visualize a long, large balcony that runs along the entire ship, and per my prior post, you can google ncl getaway waterfront you tube video and get a nice narrative of and answer to your question.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

visualize a long, large balcony that runs along the entire ship, and per my prior post, you can google ncl getaway waterfront you tube video and get a nice narrative of and answer to your question.

I tried to google earlier & all that came up were "waterfront getaways", vacation packages & travel agencies. I'll add youtube to search, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I tried to google earlier & all that came up were "waterfront getaways", vacation packages & travel agencies. I'll add youtube to search, thanks

Try Breakaway Waterfront.  (Ships are almost identical)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think you'll love this ship. i never tell anyone how to spend their money, but if you want to up your game, and really get the full experience, i would suggest you book any of the available haven suites.  completely different world.

 

only downside, if you book a haven, you'll never settle for anything less

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

i think you'll love this ship. i never tell anyone how to spend their money, but if you want to up your game, and really get the full experience, i would suggest you book any of the available haven suites.  completely different world.

 

only downside, if you book a haven, you'll never settle for anything less

On my own so I'm doing solo room. Cruise is port intensive Europe so I probably won't have too much time to enjoy the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 4:06 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

Same class I think right? 🙂 

 

This may be a moot point as if Italy don't relax their rules next week, we won't be sailing on either lol - May have to switch to the Jade out of Piraeus or stick with the Epic but embark in Barcelona instead of Rome.

Yes same class.  The Breakaway is themed to NY and the Getaway is themed to Miami.  The only venue that is different is the Breakaway has a martini bar and the Getaway has mojito bar in the same space.  Sailed on the last Getaway cruise before the shutdown and had a great time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going on Breakaway in Jan22 and was shocked at how small the standard balconies were, as I am not an NCL regular.  So I was able to snag one of the standard balcony rooms that has the angled balcony at the bump out on the ship.  Those seemed ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone who has cruised on the Epic in the Mediterranean will know it as the fun ship, for Europeans it’s cheap and it’s a party! 
No other brand can touch it in the Med….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Anyone who has cruised on the Epic in the Mediterranean will know it as the fun ship, for Europeans it’s cheap and it’s a party! 
No other brand can touch it in the Med….

Yes.

 

The Epic is our least favourite ship, but we have done the Western Med loop four times and have another one booked. It’s a cheap and fun cruise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...