Future Cruise Incentives

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, it is worth more than money in the bank.  Minimum OBC is $25 for cruises 7 days or longer.  That's a 25% return on your money in less than 2 years.  I don't know of any savings account that pays that well.

You are right if that's what your doing,. But my money works harder and smarter then the skimpy interest you get in the bank. That 25% is really only 12.5% if you use it at the 2 year mark and less if you only book at the 2 year mark for a cruise another time in the future.  When the $100 FCD =$100 OBC I did enjoy buying and using them. 

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Just used my last one and it covered the deposit in full, 50 OBC, + 60 PVP OBC. So I'm out a FCD on a cruise that is iffy + 110 OBC + 100 Shareholders to lock in my preferred room. $0 additional out of pocket. 

I'll buy another one onboard 

When my cruises were cancelled I asked to have my FCD restored to my account. Not a problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When my cruises were cancelled I asked to have my FCD restored to my account. Not a problem.

I definitely will ask if the 10 day Panama cruise is canceled.  1 port (Grand Cayman) won't let Princess in but I'd be fine with another sea day as it is port intensive. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

You are right if that's what your doing,. But my money works harder and smarter then the skimpy interest you get in the bank. That 25% is really only 12.5% if you use it at the 2 year mark and less if you only book at the 2 year mark for a cruise another time in the future.  When the $100 FCD =$100 OBC I did enjoy buying and using them. 

We each have our own financial guidelines.  My statements were the obvious benefits of FCD.  I, on the other hand, prefer to place a $100 FCD down instead of $500 deposit for a suite.  In return, I will earn $100 to $150 OBC for my $100 FCD (longer cruises).  That to me, is worth the "investment" and tying up $100 for 2 or more years.

Princess will get my money one way or the other (if I choose to continue to cruise with them).  I don't mind "installments".  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We each have our own financial guidelines.  My statements were the obvious benefits of FCD.  I, on the other hand, prefer to place a $100 FCD down instead of $500 deposit for a suite.  In return, I will earn $100 to $150 OBC for my $100 FCD (longer cruises).  That to me, is worth the "investment" and tying up $100 for 2 or more years.

Princess will get my money one way or the other (if I choose to continue to cruise with them).  I don't mind "installments".  

Yes, this makes sense.  And despite people saying how much more they might be able to make, unless you are 100% invested in the markets, an investment in FCD's needs to be compared to cash.  If put the Covid-19 Pause aside, the ROI for our FCD's has been excellent compared to other safe cash options that pay an interest rate.

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Sure, but when is the last time you got 12.5% or even 10% on a CASH investment?  Is 100% of your portfolio in cash?  Anyway, it works for us as long as we are cruising Princess.

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Rhetorical question:  How many passengers are trying to get on a cruise JUST to purchase more FCD's.

Me + 1

I've been forced to reserve 2 cruises without any more FCDs... cash deposits..... boo hoo OUCH!!

That's what we used Bon Voyage Experience for. Really miss those. Wish they'd bring them back.😭

We'll be stocking up on the first cruise that we have booked. Used all the FCDs in our bank, but not looking to book any more cruises for '22.

• Like 1

We would buy one FCD, use it on next cruise and buy another one. Then with cancellations we had to book a cruise without FCD, not a biggee but made me realize why people buy several FCD. Maybe we need to do more long range planning and have several cruises booked 🙂

• Like 2

What is a good number of FCDs to buy? Silly question really as it depends on how often you cruise but I am thinkng that 5 is quite a good number... 2 per year + one spare for a cancellation 🙂 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We would buy one FCD, use it on next cruise and buy another one. Then with cancellations we had to book a cruise without FCD, not a biggee but made me realize why people buy several FCD. Maybe we need to do more long range planning and have several cruises booked 🙂

Not sure I understand.  If you use an FCD for a booking and then have to cancel, the FCD will be returned to your Captains Circle account unless the FCD is past the expiration date, in which case you will receive a refund.  It may be important to ask your TA or PVP or Princess to be sure to restore an FCD that has been applied to a booking that has been cancelled.

We had Princess cancel some sailings last year that had FCD's included in the mix.  For whatever reason, we didn't have to even ask for them to be applied to our CC accounts.  They are sitting, waiting, for our next effort to book a cruise.

Edited by thinfool

On 7/23/2021 at 12:19 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

That is not correct. I booked a suite for a 5 day Cabo cruise and the only "$" that I've used is the FCDs.

Maybe you're thinking of World Cruise bookings. You can't use FCDs, so they give you a discount on the deposit.

Or for cruises over 45 days, which are usually World Cruise segments.  And the reduced deposit is significant.  In the neighborhood of 1/3 of the normal deposit if I remember correctly.  You do have to cash in an FCD so you can't use it again, but you do get your money back.  Still a very good deal in my opinion.

42 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Not sure I understand.  If you use an FCD for a booking and then have to cancel, the FCD will be returned to your Captains Circle account unless the FCD is past the expiration date, in which case you will receive a refund.  It may be important to ask your TA or PVP or Princess to be sure to restore an FCD that has been applied to a booking that has been cancelled.

We had Princess cancel some sailings last year that had FCD's included in the mix.  For whatever reason, we didn't have to even ask for them to be applied to our CC accounts.  They are sitting, waiting, for our next effort to book a cruise.

We had a Mexico Riviera cruise scheduled for this Sep using FCD - it was cancelled and replacement cruise is Feb 2022 using same FCD. We decided to do a California Coastal this Oct to substitute for the Sep cancellation we were so looking forward to. So our FCD was already  used against Feb 2022 and we had none for this Oct. I did think of getting a refund for cancellation, reinstate FCD for Oct, buy FCD in Oct but too messy for the dollars involved.

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

What is a good number of FCDs to buy? Silly question really as it depends on how often you cruise but I am thinkng that 5 is quite a good number... 2 per year + one spare for a cancellation 🙂 

Always have at least one more (per person) than you think you will need. It's a drag to suddenly find a couple of cruises you really want to do that are B2B and you are only holding one FCD each. Face it, the interest you would get on $100 in a year or two will be paltry. You are pretty much losing nothing to hold the FCD and potentially gaining a fair amount.  We used FCD to book a cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific. 28 days. We each got the cruise for the lousy $100 FCD as deposit and we also each got $150 OBC. What's not to like???

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, thinfool said:

For those that cruise 2, 3, 4 and more times a year it was common to purchase some FCD's on each voyage and carry just a few in your account, rolling FCD's. When the cruise line shut down the ability to obtain rolling FCD's was eliminated along with the ability to apply them to cruises one to two years out. So even when restored you only had a few FCD's. In the pre-covid world we always purchased numerous FCD's. This allowed us to book 3 or 4 cruises b2b, usually 18 months in advance.  FCD wise we were lucky. We purchased six each end of Feb., 2020, just a few weeks before the shutdown. We used most of them for 2023 b2b bookings. Early on we were able to get all of them extended to 2023 and 2024. I don't think Princess will extend them that far any longer. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

For those that cruise 2, 3, 4 and more times a year it was common to purchase some FCD's on each voyage and carry just a few in your account, rolling FCD's. When the cruise line shut down the ability to obtain rolling FCD's was eliminated along with the ability to apply them to cruises one to two years out. So even when restored you only had a few FCD's. In the pre-covid world we always purchased numerous FCD's. This allowed us to book 3 or 4 cruises b2b, usually 18 months in advance.  FCD wise we were lucky. We purchased six each end of Feb., 2020, just a few weeks before the shutdown. We used most of them for 2023 b2b bookings. Early on we were able to get all of them extended to 2023 and 2024. I don't think Princess will extend them that far any longer. 

I had begun to employ the rolling strategy.  Always buy new ones every voyage and then see if any older ones I want to refund out.

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I had begun to employ the rolling strategy.  Always buy new ones every voyage and then see if any older ones I want to refund out.

"Refund Out"?  Never had to do that.  Always wished I had bought more the last time.  FCD's are one of the true bargains of today.  Very little (to none) risk with great benefits.

Learned the hard way.  You can't apply FCDs after the fact for OBC.  Meaning you can't book a cruise with CC/$$$ and then exchange FCD's for OBC.  Push comes to shove, apply valuable FCD to longer cruises for more OBC and pay cash for the "other".

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"Refund Out"?  Never had to do that.  Always wished I had bought more the last time.  FCD's are one of the true bargains of today.  Very little (to none) risk with great benefits.

Learned the hard way.  You can't apply FCDs after the fact for OBC.  Meaning you can't book a cruise with CC/$$$ and then exchange FCD's for OBC.  Push comes to shove, apply valuable FCD to longer cruises for more OBC and pay cash for the "other".

Refund Out = phone in and cancel older ones out and get a refund.  I had 8 or 9 at one point when Covid-19 started as I had bought 4 new ones in NOV, 2019.  I cancelled out some and kept five for some reason.  Later on, I used four and we have one left each, so I am fine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 12:23 PM, Tedferg said:

We buy in 2's (1 for each of us).  We have had as many as 12 each at one time when we were cruising so often.  Pay now or pay later.   We have 2 upcoming PCL cruises which leaves only 1 FCD each left, so we'll be stocking back up but probably only 4 each.  We nearly always do B2B's.   We've always thought it well worthwhile to have FCD's and have only run out one time.  The regular deposit w/out FCD is usually more than $100.  We also keep FCD's on HAL too and booked a 19-day land/cruise on HAL for '22 that would have cost us $800 deposit but since we had FCD's, we only had to put down one each ($200) and get the OBC's. 

Oh, and we rarely book new cruises onboard.  They only time we have was when they ran a great special price that had to be booked onboard.  We usually book last minute to get best prices, so we're usually in final payment when we book.  We're not too picky about cabin location (obviously) so has worked for us.  We have to book something else by 12/21 or our last OBC will be refunded to us.  Can't let that happen.

Edited by RRFan

I had an FCD that was expiring in June this year. I called to get it extended since Princess wasn't sailing the past year. The rep extended it until 2023. I have another expiring in October that I may use tomorrow and another expiring in December. I like to keep three active ones. I tend to book last-minute cruises and don't need more than that.

I think I am missing something here... many people say they book last minute but still use FCDs. If you book last minute then surely you will have to pay for the full fare when you book so why use FCDs? I thought the benefit of FCDs is that you can use one ($100) as a deposit instead of the full deposit.

What am I missing?

13 hours ago, traceytd said:

I don’t suppose FCD are transferable? I think that NCL’s are

Not transferable, but refundable. Here are the terms

"The FCD is available to use on new future bookings only and is non-transferable."

4 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I think I am missing something here... many people say they book last minute but still use FCDs. If you book last minute then surely you will have to pay for the full fare when you book so why use FCDs? I thought the benefit of FCDs is that you can use one ($100) as a deposit instead of the full deposit.

What am I missing?

The advantage is small, basically the OBC. You may wish to use the FCD if the expiration date is near.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, skynight said:

The advantage is small, basically the OBC. You may wish to use the FCD if the expiration date is near.  

So can I use multiple FCDs on a single booking?

If so then if I know I am going to be sailing with Princess within the 2 years then the more I buy the more OBC I get?

Seems like a no-brainer 🙂 

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So can I use multiple FCDs on a single booking?

If so then if I know I am going to be sailing with Princess within the 2 years then the more I buy the more OBC I get?

Seems like a no-brainer 🙂 

You can use as many as you like.  However, you only get the OBC for the first one applied to a booking.