What are the ports like now? Shops open closed, etc

cgolf1

We are potentially cruising later this year. Is there a good resource to see how open the shops are in the ports? While we don't spend a ton of money, it is always fun to buy something from each port. So far all I have seen is Nassau in the Bahamas, and there a lot of the shops are closed. This would be a factor in our decision to keep or cancel a cruise. Would be nice if there was a website tracking this or a pinned thread with reports from cruisers about the different ports Celebrity calls on.

There's no way to tell. They will slowly reopen as more ships come back to service. It's also the Caribbean and the Bahamas. Island time. Just because they are open one week doesn't mean they will be open the next week or even the next day. If fully opened shops are important to you, I would postpone my cruise. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kearney said:

Wondering about shops in Nassau and Cozumel.... Anything open beyond the immediate port shops?

If you venture further into Nassau or downtown Cozumel you will find more open than in the pier area itself, but still more limited than pre-COVID times. Nassau has been okay, but so far you have to be on a Celebrity excursion to get off at Cozumel so shopping options may be irrelevant depending on how long that requirement sticks. 

Its really a crucial time right now as people are watching the cruises re-emerging in both Alaska and the Caribbean to see exactly what is happening here.

These next couple of weeks and thereafter will be interesting to watch to see what is reported here.

It's really just watch and wait mode for us.

(maybe look for the future cruise bargain with refundable deposits)

We were on Edge two weeks ago , did not get off in Nassau, most shops were open in St Thomas , just walked around pier area in St Maarten some were open some closed.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:07 AM, TeeRick said:

I am interested in answers to this question for Alaska ports as cruising has just re-started there.

Though I live in a different part of Alaska, it appears that at least some of the main gift shops in Juneau are open. One major one remains closed according to their site, though maybe that will change in the next few weeks as more ship calls occur. 

13 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Though I live in a different part of Alaska, it appears that at least some of the main gift shops in Juneau are open. One major one remains closed according to their site, though maybe that will change in the next few weeks as more ship calls occur. 

Thank you 

13 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

We have heard that the State of Alaska is requiring passengers to wear masks on shore now?  Do you know anything about this?

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We have heard that the State of Alaska is requiring passengers to wear masks on shore now?  Do you know anything about this?

I don’t know firsthand, but I do know there are no statewide mask mandates here.  I did read the other thread on this and can see how port towns may require them based on the surge in cases in Juneau and Sitka. The governor has left it up to individual towns to decide their requirements. 

FWIW, we just disembarked Edge on Saturday.  We did not get off the ship the whole cruise...not because we had any concerns, but because we have been to the Caribbean many times and the ship was our destination.  

One of the Retreat Concierge staff members remarked to us that the previous two cruises saw most passengers remaining on board and that our cruise was the first that saw many passengers leave the ship in port.

I’m sure shop owners are noting the passenger traffic increasing, and that will guide their decisions regarding opening and their operating hours.  In Nassau the shops along the pier were closed in the morning but opened in the afternoon because it was Sunday, I assume.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, TeeRick said:

I am interested in answers to this question for Alaska ports as cruising has just re-started there.

We recently did a land trip to Alaska (different locations of course).  Most shops open  however many restaurants closed.  I was told that they typically rely on foreign exchange students to staff restaurants so this is a big problem this year.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

We recently did a land trip to Alaska (different locations of course).  Most shops open  however many restaurants closed.  I was told that they typically rely on foreign exchange students to staff restaurants so this is a big problem this year.

Yes I am in Maine right now and the same problem here.

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I am in Maine right now and the same problem here.

We are going to be there in a week and a half (Maine).  How is the best way to handle the restaurant issues?  Do you just book a bunch of OpenTable reservations in advance?

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We are going to be there in a week and a half (Maine).  How is the best way to handle the restaurant issues?  Do you just book a bunch of OpenTable reservations in advance?

For the Portland area.  We made a few dinner reservations about 2 weeks in advance.  Many places have reduced days open and hours open.  Don’t assume normal anything.  Common dining like breakfast places have very long waits due to shortages of cooks and waitstaff.  Even ice cream places are having issues.  I would say that a cruise ship fully staffed or an all-inclusive type resort is better at this point than a land vacation due to the labor shortages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

For the Portland area.  We made a few dinner reservations about 2 weeks in advance.  Many places have reduced days open and hours open.  Don’t assume normal anything.  Common dining like breakfast places have very long waits due to shortages of cooks and waitstaff.  Even ice cream places are having issues.  I would say that a cruise ship fully staffed or an all-inclusive type resort is better at this point than a land vacation due to the labor shortages.

What about hotel service?  Is there a daily cleaning?  Anyways we will start booking our restaurants.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Summer resort towns also rely on people who work at Winter resort towns to fill slots.  Problem is that with so many issues with Winter resort towns' restaurants and stores due to CV-19, a good number of seasonal workers went to the year-round, full time positions in other areas of employment.   Plus, a major restriction was put on foreign seasonal workers 2 years ago so that shut off a pipeline for seasonal low-wage workers.   I live in a year-round destination resort town - every place has openings for employment.  We just learned to live with the shortages and are tolerant of the waits.  

41 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What about hotel service?  Is there a daily cleaning?  Anyways we will start booking our restaurants.  Thanks.

We are not staying in a hotel.  But I have been told that for daily service that is a request.  

• Like 1