Disembarking in FLL - OK to schedule 11:50 FLT from MIA ?

Posted (edited)

We are excitedly looking forward to FINALLY cruising again - on the Equinox -

Sept 26-Oct 8 

Hoping to be able to hire private shuttle (don't like to take smallish taxi's or Ubers - difficult for "hefty" seniors to get in and out of) from the FLL Cruise=port to catch an 11:50 AM flight out of MIA home

Any RECENT experiences on disembarkations in FLL ?

Thank You ! 

Edited by GreenValleyDogWalker

Might be a tight.    On weekend  travel times should be about 35-40 minutes and could be over an hour on a week day.

If you print boarding passes on the ship and drop luggage with a Red Cap you should be able to do it if you walk off.   Gating factors are always if not a US Citizen the customs an immigration at port could be a long line as well as TSA lines if you don't get PRE.  

• Thanks 1

... also, what about any delays in the airport before the check-in process and TSA???

Are you self-disembarking from the ship early?

Rush hour?

Pre-pandemic offered different experiences and exposures, post is a whole new world in travel.

Seems a bit tight, to me, especially if using taxis and the like are not going to work in terms of transportation for you.

Has there been enough CC'rs that have done this yet? I Am sure someone might post with recent experience, if it has happened yet.

You may want to visit the Cruise Air board to ask, here on CC...

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 1

You should be fine though Friday morning traffic heading south can be slow going.  Carefully check with the transport company about price and a timely pick-up.  If you have to pick up luggage rather than self disembarkation that will add time.  MIA can be a bit of a mess but Friday is much better than the weekend.

I wouldn’t be doing this if you have to travel from FLL to MIA. You would have to walk off with your luggage and then hope there is no traffic. I’ve only done a 12noon flight when I arrived and departed from same area.

Good luck with that. Have some backup flights planned.

• Like 1

That flight is within the recommended parameters. As long as you don’t have any extraordinary delays, you should make your flight. 

I would never recommend it, but the earliest flight I’ve made arriving in one city and departing from the other was 8:45am. For the record, I didn’t book such an early flight. Once I realized how early it was when we arrived at the airport (7:30am) I was able to standby on an earlier flight. We were back in Atlanta before noon! 

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Domestic or international?

do you have TSA precheck?

coach or first class?

what would be your plan B if you don’t make it?

Domestic travel (to Tucson)

Yes - have TSA pre-Check - First Class Travel

Plan B would be to sit at the airport in the Lounge for 4 hours (!) 

Thanks 

I'm sure there are fellow cruisers who will tell you horror stories that happened to them, (myself included), when they cut the time from debarkation from the ship to the airport too close.  In simple terms, reserve a latter flight.  Unless everything goes 100% perfect, you are taking a chance to miss your flight.

I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact, I really wouldn't want to book a later flight than this. But I am also not a "hefty senior" as you put it, so my perspective is probably different. I have no issues with the idea of walking off with my luggage during the self-disembarkation. If you need to do the regular disembarkation it could be too tight. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Domestic travel (to Tucson)

Yes - have TSA pre-Check - First Class Travel

Plan B would be to sit at the airport in the Lounge for 4 hours (!) 

Thanks 

You will be fine either way. Should have no issues making the flight on time.

12 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Thanks for all the replies !

FYI - I just checked with Celebrity - we would be able to take the cruise-line provided (for a cost, of course) if the flight left just 10 minutes later (12 noon) 

So we are going with the 11:50 Flight 

You should be fine. We made a 10:35 flight (with time to spare) a couple of weeks ago and that was after eating breakfast and then leaving the ship around 8:30.  We have Clear with TSA pre-check so that was a factor.  It isn't stressful for us if we miss a flight so we usually book an early one.  There are always several from FLL to ATL every day and our Delta status allows us to change without penalty.