Live - Allure Simulation Cruise July 27, 2021🛳

On 7/28/2021 at 11:46 PM, Jragland said:

This went way to quickly for those of us reading. Can’t imagine how it feels for you!  Hope to hear all your final thoughts on this one after you’re home. 

It felt like we were getting off as soon as we got on. Very short, but was very happy to be on a ship again.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:57 AM, Jimbo said:

Where is that? we are also here............In Virginia that is?

I was outside of John’s. 😁 His ringer thing wasn’t going thru to them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

It felt like we were getting off as soon as we got on. Very short, but was very happy to be on a ship again.

It wasn't even long enough for me to figure out how to start the plane's engines.

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, Canadian Disney Mom said:

Definitely.  I was on the fence about doing it because I do not sail until 8/22 and there are a few sailings before mine so I assume someone will have already done one by the time I get started.  But last night after scrolling through yours most of the evening, I decided to go for it and already started writing out my intro 🤣.

Hopefully I will be able to answer lots of questions 🙂  Now I just need my Royal Up to be accepted so I can also comment on the Coastal Kitchen / Concierge Lounge situation.

I would love to read your review on the Odyssey.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, dswallow said:

You're not booked on the 10-nighter that follows? 🙂
Screenshot_20210727-183534_Royal.thumb.jpg.85e5fc0ee6d6725a98a04d182908def7.jpg

I would even take an out of service ship as long as someone else was cooking. I’ll even clean my own room. 🍹

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sounds like you all had a good time.  Nice!

We did and I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the chance. Hopefully Royal will get all the ships to pass and more ships will continue to cruise. 🛳

• Like 3

Filled out survey, gave typical superior marks (8-10) except for the check-in procedures

Here is what I said

Outside Terminal lines were a mess, you really need to fix that for a revenue cruise or it will fail miserably. I'd love to do a follow up if you wish to contact me. FWIW, I'm all in favor of set boarding times, but not like it happened in Pt Canaveral

Hopefully I hear back from someone, they definitely have time to adjust

• Like 2

BTW, it appears I gained 2.6 pounds between Monday and this morning.

Not bad, and that includes gorging myself at Tokyo Steakhouse in Cocoa Beach Thursday night. 😉

I will do a summary of the overall experience later today. Lots of errands this morning

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Filled out survey, gave typical superior marks (8-10) except for the check-in procedures

Here is what I said

Outside Terminal lines were a mess, you really need to fix that for a revenue cruise or it will fail miserably. I'd love to do a follow up if you wish to contact me. FWIW, I'm all in favor of set boarding times, but not like it happened in Pt Canaveral

Celebrity did an excellent job at Port Everglades for the Edge cruises - maybe Royal should ask their sister brand how to do it. My observation at PE was that passengers ignored their time slot and thought that they could just get in line and go............except Celebrity adhered strictly to the time slot reservations.

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Here is what I said

Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to be an ongoing problem for US departures.  After all, we would get to the ship at 10:00, and get in line to board. No problem.

Now, we have a new ball game.  Here on CC , we should be aware of the new rules.  But, I imagine are either not aware, or don't care. Everybody shows up early, expecting to board right away. We have seen reports from those that have been on Celebrity of that same situation on their cruises. 

Wizard was posting at the same time as I was.  Somebody on the routine thread who was on a later cruise reported otherwise.

Edited by mo&fran

6 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to be an ongoing problem for US departures.  After all, we would get to the ship at 10:00, and get in line to board. No problem.

Now, we have a new ball game.  Here on CC , we should be aware of the new rules.  But, I imagine are either not aware, or don't care. Everybody shows up early, expecting to board right away. We have seen reports from those that have been on Celebrity of that same situation on their cruises. 

Wizard was posting at the same time as I was.  Somebody on the routine thread who was on a later cruise reported otherwise.

Follow the rules and there shouldn't be any problems.............our experience - we were from getting off our hotel shuttle to actually boarding the ship in 20 minutes (including luggage drop off + documentation checking + security scanning). When we arrived there were lines for sure - a family that was on our shuttle had a boarding time 2 hours after ours - yep - they waited in another long line. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Celebrity did an excellent job at Port Everglades for the Edge cruises - maybe Royal should ask their sister brand how to do it. My observation at PE was that passengers ignored their time slot and thought that they could just get in line and go............except Celebrity adhered strictly to the time slot reservations.

I can see how this creates issues, especially for people who fly in the same day as the cruise. RCI allows a 30 munute window. There are many factors that can play a role in affecting the arrival at the cruise terminal from the plane's arrival time.

I never really noticed a huge issue with boarding in the past under the "old" method.

The issue in PC was they didn't have marked ques. But they did have a que. And shoreside personnel just directed everyone to the same place. Now multiple time slots in same line

Easily solved with seperate lines by time slot. They definitely have room for it. The staff in garage were clueless 

As far as open boarding, I don't see that happening for a while, if ever again. Luckily for PC, you can drop bags whenever then walk over to the Cove and hang out for a bit. South FL doesn't have that option

• Like 2

We were on the second Carnival Horizon cruise out of Miami, with a 12:00 to 12:30 window.  They had two lines, one for our assigned slot and one for others.  By the time we parked and entered the line at 12:20, there was no one in front of us and just a few in the other line.  So Carnival made huge improvements between the first and second Horizon cruises. Hope Royal does the same.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The issue in PC was they didn't have marked ques. But they did have a que. And shoreside personnel just directed everyone to the same place. Now multiple time slots in same line

Easily solved with seperate lines by time slot. They definitely have room for it. The staff in garage were clueless 

As far as open boarding, I don't see that happening for a while, if ever again. Luckily for PC, you can drop bags whenever then walk over to the Cove and hang out for a bit. South FL doesn't have that option

Sounds like RCI mistakenly assumed passengers would strictly adhere to their time slots without having follow-up at the terminal.

Agree with @Ocean Boy.  Flight arrival times vary and may not coincide with time slots.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Here is what I said

I don’t think anyone will follow boarding times. Folks on my upcoming cruises are saying they don’t care about the boarding time they’re going to show up at 10:30 like before! 

They need to create a separate line for each check in time slot so those of us that already are assigned  the 1 o’clock check in times don’t have to wait in line behind those that have later check-in  times. 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I don’t think anyone will follow boarding times. Folks on my upcoming cruises are saying they don’t care about the boarding time they’re going to show up at 10:30 like before! 

They need to create a separate line for each check in time slot so those of us that already are assigned  the 1 o’clock check in times don’t have to wait in line behind those that have later check-in  times. 

Just like the boarding group airlines use.  Get in your boarding time line No matter when you arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

How long is the walk (timewise) from the baggage drop off area to the restaurant area? We are at the mercy of the hotel shuttle times and if we need to wait for our assigned time - I'd prefer to be having a cup of coffee or some beverage at one of the open restaurants.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If Royal makes them wait, those early arrivals won’t do that again!

I have a 2:30 check in time for our Allure cruise which departs at 7.  I plan on arriving at 2:15, parking and getting in line.  I figure by 2:30, things will have settled down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lazydayz said:

If Royal makes them wait, those early arrivals won’t do that again!

I have a 2:30 check in time for our Allure cruise which departs at 7.  I plan on arriving at 2:15, parking and getting in line.  I figure by 2:30, things will have settled down. 

Agreed, just depends if they will be successful at being firm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can see how this creates issues, especially for people who fly in the same day as the cruise. RCI allows a 30 munute window. There are many factors that can play a role in affecting the arrival at the cruise terminal from the plane's arrival time.

I never really noticed a huge issue with boarding in the past under the "old" method.

It can be an issue with driving, also.  We have to get from the west coast of Florida to the east coast, partially on I-4 through Orlando.  Lots of variables with Orlando traffic.  

• Like 2