Jump to content

Florida goes to the Supreme Court


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Meanwhile the appeals court reversed their stay of the injunction against the cso

Really ?  When did this happen ?  I missed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting about this. It's got potential to be an important precedent. Some 'thought leader' types have predicted a pandemic for years, and sadly it's likely this sort of thing will happen again at some point in the future. The vast amount of economic damage to the cruise industry (I've read 20 billion dollars for 2020, and lines selling off a number of ships) will take a long time to recoup. I don't know what financing arrangements the lines worked out to stay afloat (yep, had to go there...). 

 

And they should be okay...this time. So, what happens if we have another pandemic in 5 years? 

 

Short-term shutdowns may make sense, and early on did here. But when Disney World and other recreational public venues have been open quite awhile, and thousands go in and out daily without even being tested for the virus...maybe we need some limits on the CDC's power. Not a total absence of it, but some curtailment. 

 

Whichever way this goes, the precedent it may set is a big deal. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in simple terms what impact would this have on cruises from Florida?  Mask requirements set by cruise lines ?  What about vaccination requirements?  None or could cruise lines set their own % of passengers?  Curious to  hear what’s on the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t expect any significant changes....ships are sailing, protocols in place and passengers expectations set....any major shifts would upset the apple cart, so to speak. If the Delta variant wasn’t causing fears...perhaps there would be some minor changes...like not requiring vaccinated to maskup on Royal...but under current conditions I don’t see any changes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Larryhnj said:

Yes people get the vaccinations to not only protect yourself but the people you love as well as anyone that comes near you.  How many more people have to die before the unvaccinated wake up. 

I’m curious how this works exactly?  How does it protect loved ones when you

can still get Covid and transmit it even after being vaccinated?  It looks like it lessens symptoms in the vaccinated but many vaccinated folk are coming down with Covid regardless.  So how’s that protecting loved ones?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CK57 said:

So in simple terms what impact would this have on cruises from Florida?  Mask requirements set by cruise lines ?  What about vaccination requirements?  None or could cruise lines set their own % of passengers?  Curious to  hear what’s on the table.

How can there be vaccination requirements in Florida when there is no longer a CDC rule that requires 95% vaccinated passengers and crew? THAT rule was the reason why cruise lines were able to work around the Florida law. Now that the CDC CSO is no longer valid, the cruise lines do not have a protocol to "enforce" in the state of Florida. That 95% rule has become a guideline. Sorry, but this is NOT good news for cruise passengers who much prefer to sail on 95% vaccinated ships.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, thadlo said:

I’m curious how this works exactly?  How does it protect loved ones when you

can still get Covid and transmit it even after being vaccinated?  It looks like it lessens symptoms in the vaccinated but many vaccinated folk are coming down with Covid regardless.  So how’s that protecting loved ones?

Vaccinated people who get infected with Covid still have less of a chance of spreading the disease than anyone who is un-vaccinated. Haven't we been told the viral load in a vaccinated person is less, even if they are infected with the Delta variant. Isn't this true?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

How can there be vaccination requirements in Florida when there is no longer a CDC rule that requires 95% vaccinated passengers and crew? THAT rule was the reason why cruise lines were able to work around the Florida law. Now that the CDC CSO is no longer valid, the cruise lines do not have a protocol to "enforce" in the state of Florida. That 95% rule has become a guideline. Sorry, but this is NOT good news for cruise passengers who much prefer to sail on 95% vaccinated ships.

Is it possible that the CDC as a result of this appeal - especially if they lose - bring in 100% vaccinated sailing requirement? As in it doesn't sail unless 100% or vaccinated not that a person can't board if not vaccinated? Or perhaps revoke the VSP and in words of Chengpk 75 watch the cruise industry dissolve into chaos. Or introduce mask requirements forever even in the cabins and in sleep requiring hidden CCTV to be installed to ensure compliance. And maybe also introduce guidelines that 1 positive case of Covid or Flu even means the cruise is cancelled and the ship returns to port and that all  passengers must be tested every day whilst onboard no exceptions?. Any one of these would destroy the industry.

 

I am asking a question not making a statement.

Edited by ace2542
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Meanwhile the appeals court reversed their stay of the injunction against the cso

 

Yep.

 

The 11 Circuit Court of Appeals "Panel" reversed ~

 

ORDER 7/23/2021

 

"The appellants' "Time-Sensitive Motion for Stay Pending Appeal and Administrative Stay" is DENIED because appellants failed to demonstrate an entitlement to a stay pending appeal."

 

Briefing Notice 7/23/2021

 

Notice to appellants to file a brief "due on or before 9/1/2021."

 

So, the CDC, HHS and US appellants could certainly file such at any time before the due date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Is it possible that the CDC as a result of this appeal - especially if they lose - bring in 100% vaccinated sailing requirement? As in it doesn't sail unless 100% or vaccinated not that a person can't board if not vaccinated? Or perhaps revoke the VSP and in words of Chengpk 75 watch the cruise industry dissolve into chaos. Or introduce mask requirements forever even in the cabins and in sleep requiring hidden CCTV to be installed to ensure compliance. And maybe also introduce guidelines that 1 positive case of Covid or Flu even means the cruise is cancelled and the ship returns to port and that all  passengers must be tested every day whilst onboard no exceptions?. Any one of these would destroy the industry.

 

I am asking a question not making a statement.

Oh Ace, your brain is always working overtime.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thadlo said:

I’m curious how this works exactly?  How does it protect loved ones when you

can still get Covid and transmit it even after being vaccinated?  It looks like it lessens symptoms in the vaccinated but many vaccinated folk are coming down with Covid regardless.  So how’s that protecting loved ones?

They don't end up dead. How is that for starters?

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Meanwhile the appeals court reversed their stay of the injunction against the cso

And on Friday the court reserved its decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...