Florida goes to the Supreme Court

Just now, dswallow said:

Absolutely nothing will change; the cruise lines are following the CDC requirements voluntarily now.

I, personally, am satisfied and pleased that a Cruise Line has the authority to establish/make/enforce rules to try to keep passengers and crew safe!

I experienced the Noro virus years ago on a ship. That was nothing compare to the illnesses, inconvenience and deaths on the Diamond Princess last year.

Why are the numbers increasing now?

We know and YOU KNOW!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Actually, reading the filing on the supreme court, given the 11th circuit's own order to vacate the stay, this case might be moot.

Yup, the case to the USSC is 100% moot given the 11th circuit turn-around stay-vacate dance.

> For the reasons set forth above, this Court should vacate the stay entered by 
the Eleventh Circuit.

To clarify people here got to excited when they read FL taking the CDC to the Supreme Court. This was a VERY narrow request and that request is now moot.

Edited by coldflame

15 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Is it possible that the CDC as a result of this appeal - especially if they lose - bring in 100% vaccinated sailing requirement? As in it doesn't sail unless 100% or vaccinated not that a person can't board if not vaccinated? Or perhaps revoke the VSP and in words of Chengpk 75 watch the cruise industry dissolve into chaos. Or introduce mask requirements forever even in the cabins and in sleep requiring hidden CCTV to be installed to ensure compliance. And maybe also introduce guidelines that 1 positive case of Covid or Flu even means the cruise is cancelled and the ship returns to port and that all  passengers must be tested every day whilst onboard no exceptions?. Any one of these would destroy the industry.

I am asking a question not making a statement.

CDC will put tail beteeen legs, slink away, and try to save face

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Celebrity Edge has cruised out of Port Everglades for the past 3 weeks. They had a 95% vaccinated ratio to a 5% unvaccinated. To my understanding, these were not Test Cruises. Celebrity got around the 'Ask' by allowing those who boarded to volunteer if they were vaccinated. Those vaccinated were issued wrist bands to wear.

Celebrity does not cater to families bringing children undet age 12

Disney plans on sailing un-vaccinated.  Go figure

Edited by John&LaLa

10 hours ago, nelblu said:

Other than FL are they sailing form anywhere else that requires 100% vaxxed.  They should be good to go.

I don't really follow NCL and I don't know why they wouldn't be sailing from other ports. 

Posted (edited)

In reading a blog about Royal Caribbean, it seems the CDC will enforce the Mask mandate from all cruises deprting from Florida.  Meaning everyone  vax or  no vax will be required to wear a mask everywhere except for eating or if they are in their room.

Just a snippet from article “ The CDC said late on Friday that it will enforce its transit mask requirements on cruise ships in Florida that opt not to abide by its Conditional Sail Order (CSO) following a court ruling.

Edited by Tony O

36 minutes ago, Tony O said:

In reading a blog about Royal Caribbean, it seems the CDC will enforce the Mask mandate from all cruises deprting from Florida.  Meaning everyone  vax or  no vax will be required to wear a mask everywhere except for eating or if they are in their room.

Just a snippet from article “ The CDC said late on Friday that it will enforce its transit mask requirements on cruise ships in Florida that opt not to abide by its Conditional Sail Order (CSO) following a court ruling.

And the mask mandate is actually all I personally care about. I'm vaccinated so the rest doesnt matter to me just if I have to wear a mask or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony O said:

I don't believe any of the current protocols violate the CSO... So I don't see why ships sailing with >95% vaccinated will now..suddenly.. have to mask..since the 95% level was set by the CDC... and cruise lines are following the protocols cdc set. I suspect that the CDC means that if they chose to do something different... that they will enforce the mask rules. So if a cruise line decided to have anyone sale regardless of vaccine status.. and they had more than 5% unvaccinated... CDC would clamp down. At least I hope that if ships are sticking to the now 'recommended' policy that the CDC isn't going to suddenly change the rules because they are pissed off.

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't really follow NCL and I don't know why they wouldn't be sailing from other ports. 

They need a terminal and supply chain set up for these other ports. Some ports don't want cruise ships. I was hoping that ships might sail out of Savannah...but read that they voted down this idea... that was a few years ago though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Celebrity does not cater to families bringing children undet age 12

Disney plans on sailing un-vaccinated.  Go figure

True, we have done a number of cruises on Celebrity all but one had fewer than a dozen children and come of those were teens. Only one had about 100 and that was an Easter cruise. 100 out of over 3000 is well within the limits.

12 hours ago, coldflame said:

Yup, the case to the USSC is 100% moot given the 11th circuit turn-around stay-vacate dance.

> For the reasons set forth above, this Court should vacate the stay entered by 
the Eleventh Circuit.

To clarify people here got to excited when they read FL taking the CDC to the Supreme Court. This was a VERY narrow request and that request is now moot.

Agree.

The "stay" is vacated, but the Appeal in the 11th Circuit is still on and, after the Order to Vacate the Stay, there was a Briefing Notice and scheduling order for timelines for the defendants and plaintiffs to file their updated briefs and exhibits.

0.JPG.6aae6af32cb747eb808a84361380e399.JPG

People talk about moving to ports outside of Florida... but consider this. If you like cruising to the southern Caribbean, you really need to sail out of South Florida to get a decent cruise in and even that takes longer than the typical 7 day cruise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kearney said:

People talk about moving to ports outside of Florida... but consider this. If you like cruising to the southern Caribbean, you really need to sail out of South Florida to get a decent cruise in and even that takes longer than the typical 7 day cruise.

Wouldn't Puerto Rico work?

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Wouldn't Puerto Rico work?

Bottom line is most ports outside of Florida either are booked, don't have proper facilities,  or don't want cruise ships.

Most, not all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Last time I checked, there's flights there.  I didn't know driving was a requirement.

I live in Atlanta.... so most cruise ports are a relatively easy drive.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Last time I checked, there's flights there.  I didn't know driving was a requirement.

If you look at the parking facilities at the various ports... it would suggest that a high percentage of cruisers drive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bottom line is most ports outside of Florida either are booked, don't have proper facilities,  or don't want cruise ships.

Most, not all

Exactly.  That's why I was thinking Puerto Rico was a good solution, since they have routinely been a home port for cruises for a long time.

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

If you look at the parking facilities at the various ports... it would suggest that a high percentage of cruisers drive.

Could be.  I was just pointing out Puerto Rico as an alternative to Florida for southern Caribbean cruises, since they have routinely been a home port for such cruises for a long time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Could be.  I was just pointing out Puerto Rico as an alternative to Florida for southern Caribbean cruises, since they have routinely been a home port for such cruises for a long time.

It is just not that simple... if it was NCL would have done so... as it is their earliest San Juan sailing in December... the CEO has been complaining since early April. I suspect provisioning a ship out of San Juan can be done if there are just a few ships...but if you move much of your fleet or multiple fleets... providing all that is needed could be challenging.. and terminals would have to be improved as well. There is a cascade of issues... additional flights, hotel rooms, etc. San Juan would probably love the additional tourists. But many will not cruise if it means flying. I wonder what percent of cruisers who sail out of Florida...live in Florida?

1 minute ago, kearney said:

It is just not that simple... if it was NCL would have done so... as it is their earliest San Juan sailing in December... the CEO has been complaining since early April. I suspect provisioning a ship out of San Juan can be done if there are just a few ships...but if you move much of your fleet or multiple fleets... providing all that is needed could be challenging.. and terminals would have to be improved as well. There is a cascade of issues... additional flights, hotel rooms, etc. San Juan would probably love the additional tourists. But many will not cruise if it means flying. I wonder what percent of cruisers who sail out of Florida...live in Florida?

I didn't say it was simple.  I was just pointing it out as an alternative to Florida for southern Caribbean cruises, which it has been for many years.