Two COVID cases based on Testing Today On Serenity

PaulMCO

33 minutes ago, bitob said:

We all did

they still work

I was told they couldn't get wet, otherwise I would have used them more often at the beach and pool.

1 minute ago, Jdfireman said:

Would like to know the results of a non rapid test as a follow up.   We all know there is a chance of of fast positive with a rapid test.  Also we need to consider the incubation period.  I was on a packed bus yesterday so the odds of me testing positive today if I was in contact with the person is slim. Again the people who tested positive could have had a contact before the trip. As the CDC guidelines say if you have been vaccinated and come in contact with someone who is positive you do not need to quarantine.  Crystal is going above and beyond with the protocols and hats off to them.  It's a gamble no matter how safe you are. If your traveling during this time you should know the risk.   Safe travels to all going home   

I'm in the connassiour club and someone was told from one of the crew that it was a false positive. Can't say it was a reliable source though.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Hmm. So our choice is to stay on the ship as Keith did, or cancel. Not great options.

Staying on the ship is a great option IMO 

other than swimming with the pigs, there is nothing of interest in the Bahamas. The ship is a far better destination

i got off 3 times in 14 days. I should have skipped Bimini and San Salvador 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bonnieg said:

I was told they couldn't get wet, otherwise I would have used them more often at the beach and pool.

I'm in the connassiour club and someone was told from one of the crew that it was a false positive. Can't say it was a reliable source though.

If that were the case I would expect the captain to send out a corrected notice 

This is so unsettling. On our cruise in September if it occurs ,we will not be taking any tours. Obviously, the risk is too great. And yes the contact bracelets are very important , no matter the size and inconvenience.

Hopefully this occurrence is an anomaly.

9 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

This is so unsettling. On our cruise in September if it occurs ,we will not be taking any tours. Obviously, the risk is too great. And yes the contact bracelets are very important , no matter the size and inconvenience.

Hopefully this occurrence is an anomaly.

Just be aware that there are some people who will not wear the contact tracing devices. Just as there are those who will not mask on tenders or socially distance. It will be up to each individual to set their boundaries, or not.

We are reconsidering using the tenders as well. It's really a shame that Crystal can't deliver the safety protocols that they are promising for the shore excursions.

I think crystal is delivering more than I expected. I cannot imagine any cruise line doing better 

the system is not perfect. It depends on individual passengers using common sense 

if you are not comfortable, don’t cruise. You will not enjoy yourself 

keep in mind that with all those refusing to be vaccinated, this is the way cruising will be for the foreseeable future. The old days are history 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Just be aware that there are some people who will not wear the contact tracing devices. Just as there are those who will not mask on tenders or socially distance. It will be up to each individual to set their boundaries, or not.

We are reconsidering using the tenders as well. It's really a shame that Crystal can't deliver the safety protocols that they are promising for the shore excursions.

Treat the tender just the same as you plane that your going to fly to the ship on. Protect yourself and you will be fine. The tenders were not that packed and had good airflow.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

HI everyone.

This is one of those threads which will be extensive with a lot of talking over one another.  I have taken the time to read each post.    These are my views from someone who took the first two cruises, followed Crystal's protocols and added in some of our own.

In this world of COVID-19 there are risks anytime you go out of your house and go inside when others are present or stand to close to one another.

All I can say is I felt the safest on our first two voyages than at anytime since we left Serenity in March of 2020 when I also felt safe.

Like me some of the people I know did take a cautious approach on the first three voyages including staying on board.  

Nothing is perfect and there are always people who bend the rules.  On land in the USA even when masks were required in stores once in awhile someone didn't wear one.  In the Bahamas at the hotel some didn't wear the mask.  At the airport where masks are required unless you were eating some particularly at USA airports weren't wearing masks.  I thought better in the Bahamas.

I never saw a crew member remove a mask and if someone told the butler to remove the mask which to me is sickening the butler should report this.  Fortunately Crystal reads the boards so I am sure the message gets out to the crew which is to wear the masks as they have been told from the get-go.

We knew when we decided to travel there was risk. It starts when we were driven to the airport.    It is unfortunate there was this case involving two people but it happens.  

What I don't recommend is jumping the gun without facts.  None of us know what the couple did or didn't do, whether or not they were on tours or not.  Or anything about them.  Also no one knows if only the quick test was done or if it was followed up with the PCR test.   Remember, Crystal has PCR testing capabilities on board for this reason.  Thankfully,  at least this happened on a cruise that had the contact bracelets.  

The other known is what kind of COVID-19 this was.  If the variant as we are painfully learning it moves much faster than the original virus.  That is unfortunate.  

As to social distancing I am afraid in certain environments such as a vehicle even if people sit six feet apart there are no guarantees.  

My own view is that if one takes precautions like some of us did you can minimize the chance of getting COVID-19 on the cruise or at home.  But there is risk in this and in pretty much anything yo do in life.

If you drive your car at the speed limit there is risk of an accident but certainly far less than if you exceed the limit, talk on the cell phone or text while driving, and/or drink alcohol.

If you don't want any risk than stay in your home but there is a risk you will trip over something, hit your head on the floor never to wake up.

We are very cautious people.  With that said at the present state we will do selected travel because no one knows for sure what we are in store for in the months and years to go.  Everyone on this board are adults and can make their own decisions.  

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Going on Crystal in a few days and I can’t believe what I am reading.

Me and my fiance both had covid, have both been vaccinated for covid, and live in Miami, a culture that thrives on ignoring covid.

I have never been able to understand why in the world anyone that is uncomfortable with the possibility of getting covid would reasonably get on a cruise ship. It is probably the highest risk thing you could possibly do. If you are worried about getting covid in a grocery store, do not go on a cruise, by definition, crowded enclosed environments spread covid.

Honestly if we didn’t already have covid, where we had minor symptoms months ago, and combined it with vaccinations, we wouldn’t be getting on any cruise ship. We figure if we get it again, it will be even more mild than last time. Thinking however that a mask, contact tracing, and a vax will save you 100% is ridiculous. You are gambling. Packing in people in a van is still just luck. 

We spent last year traveling by car, and even helped with logistics and government inspections of ppe during the start of covid. We were tested frequently, and it felt like counting down the days til we got it. We had accepted that risk, in order to save others, and do work we enjoyed. That person on the empty plane was us. We ended up catching it in our own home, from an idiot that refused to properly quarantine during their visit to us a year later. We visited packed nightclubs last year here in Miami, crowded restaurants, and more, and got it in our house from someone that was in denial about a positive test.

if you are in a high risk group, do not, I repeat do not go on a cruise. You are making an active risk decision, as we did last year. We do not wear masks anymore, we are not afraid of covid, and have followed cdc and even private unsubstantiated guidelines as they have come out. The problem with masks is that nobody uses them to specifications. A 3-ply does not protect you properly. A N95 does, but must be changed pretty much every time you take it off or at best every few hours. No one does that, ever. Also if you have covid on your hands and adjust your mask you are at risk. All of it is showmanship, it’s like the tsa. The real security happens behind the scenes, in vaccinations like the watchlists for flying.

If you are going on a cruise, consider yourself likely to get covid. Ask yourself if you are ok with that. If you are not do not go on the cruise, drive somewhere if you must go, eat outside at a hotel, but don’t go on an enclosed ship. If you are ok with getting covid, then go, have a good time, and stop yelling about a tour bus. You are only torturing yourself with fear. I’m sorry to rain on your self-righteous campaign, while you do the most super spreader thing possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes and you should not cruise Crystal if you do not take Thi seriously.  You take them off if you swim or shower.  

Really..Paul!

I am in 32Cvweather now and wear mine in every restaurant and the lift. I am at thev5% group.

Really you are a pain

following rules  and having something fit is two different things  

4 hours ago, bonnieg said:

You can't get them wet.

Well, that a problem as all my tours or private time I am in water.

The way I wash my face or hands it would get wet. I wash hand like I am going into,surgery.

How hard is it to take a plastic strap off for a second if you’re going to wash or submerge your arm, and then put it back on when it’s dry??

Also, no business in my home state is lifting one finger for any kind of safety protocol at this point that wasn’t part of their previous sanitation routine pre-Covid.  I’m not as concerned that a couple of people are subverting the protocols onboard, considering the onboard protocols are 100x better than I experience shoreside at home.  Heck, even the fact that everyone onboard is vaccinated is a good start, unlike here.

Perspective, people.  Consider how many Covid positive people you encounter at the grocery store, Starbucks, Target, etc. every day, whether they are unvaccinated, asymptomatic, breakthrough infections, etc..  As most of us have said all along, there WILL be cases of Covid onboard — that’s exactly why all these mitigation steps are for.  

Please take them seriously.   Thankfully most people seem to.

Vince

• Like 5

2 hours ago, coold8 said:

Going on Crystal in a few days and I can’t believe what I am reading.

Me and my fiance both had covid, have both been vaccinated for covid, and live in Miami, a culture that thrives on ignoring covid.

I have never been able to understand why in the world anyone that is uncomfortable with the possibility of getting covid would reasonably get on a cruise ship. It is probably the highest risk thing you could possibly do. If you are worried about getting covid in a grocery store, do not go on a cruise, by definition, crowded enclosed environments spread covid.

Honestly if we didn’t already have covid, where we had minor symptoms months ago, and combined it with vaccinations, we wouldn’t be getting on any cruise ship. We figure if we get it again, it will be even more mild than last time. Thinking however that a mask, contact tracing, and a vax will save you 100% is ridiculous. You are gambling. Packing in people in a van is still just luck. 

We spent last year traveling by car, and even helped with logistics and government inspections of ppe during the start of covid. We were tested frequently, and it felt like counting down the days til we got it. We had accepted that risk, in order to save others, and do work we enjoyed. That person on the empty plane was us. We ended up catching it in our own home, from an idiot that refused to properly quarantine during their visit to us a year later. We visited packed nightclubs last year here in Miami, crowded restaurants, and more, and got it in our house from someone that was in denial about a positive test.

if you are in a high risk group, do not, I repeat do not go on a cruise. You are making an active risk decision, as we did last year. We do not wear masks anymore, we are not afraid of covid, and have followed cdc and even private unsubstantiated guidelines as they have come out. The problem with masks is that nobody uses them to specifications. A 3-ply does not protect you properly. A N95 does, but must be changed pretty much every time you take it off or at best every few hours. No one does that, ever. Also if you have covid on your hands and adjust your mask you are at risk. All of it is showmanship, it’s like the tsa. The real security happens behind the scenes, in vaccinations like the watchlists for flying.

If you are going on a cruise, consider yourself likely to get covid. Ask yourself if you are ok with that. If you are not do not go on the cruise, drive somewhere if you must go, eat outside at a hotel, but don’t go on an enclosed ship. If you are ok with getting covid, then go, have a good time, and stop yelling about a tour bus. You are only torturing yourself with fear. I’m sorry to rain on your self-righteous campaign, while you do the most super spreader thing possible.

We have had concerns about getting COVID-19 and we did go on the Serenity cruises and we both felt much more comfortable on Serenity than at the Grocery store.  In fact,  i think there is a big difference between the cruise and grocery shopping.  It all comes down to the approach you take and yes nothing is foolproof.

In our case:

We both wore masks inside the ship at all times.  Actually two masks as I do on land in public areas.

We social distanced.

Did not use elevators.

Didn't touch the mask.

Washed hands often and thoroughly and used hand sanitizer.

If someone came into our room we wore a mask as we did at the pre cruise hotel and on Serenity.

Didn't take a group transfer.

Didn't go off in port other than me going off in Nassau when we were in transit and while I walked all around I wore a mask as did the locals.  Didn't go into the few shops which were open.

Choses accommodations in the hotel and on the ship based on all these considerations and knowing we would spend more time there than normal.

Appreciate everyone being vaccinated; crew and guests, everyone taking a COVID-19 test at the convention center, and the day before debark and in our case being tested if we were continuing to the next cruise.

We adjusted our approach to the cruise and had a blast.  It certainly is much better than at home where we hadn't eaten out since March of 2020 and minimize contact with others except outside.

Our approach is not for everyone but I am a believer in figuring out wha works for each of us.  If we didn't care for the approach we wouldn't have done it.  We did and loved our entire 14 days on Serenity.

Does this guarantee 100% you won't get COVID-19?  No.  But if we want to guarantee that we will need to sit in our house and not go anywhere other than outside for who knows how long........

Nothing in life is a guarantee but I do believe with the safeguards Crystal has in place and if people use common sense (and I could tell you cases where some people did NOT) you certainly can minimize the chance of getting COVID.

If you go to a grocery store on land today and 40% of the population or more is not vaccinated, and most do not wear masks, and the ventilation system has not been enhanced and you are not socially distanced I believe you have a higher chance of getting COVID-19.  

Bottom line for those who are worried don't go.  For those who want a 100% guarantee don't go.  However, for those who think things through if you are like us you can do this more safely than many things at home.  And I do believe Cruise line are getting a bad rap on COVID-19 as they traditionally have for other viruses yet many more people have gotten sick with a percent of them dying on land.

The goal is no cases but for three weeks to have two cases with everyone tested to me is far better than we see in many places around the country including the USA.

Wishing you a great time on your cruise.  I hope you have a blast as we did.

Keith

• Like 8

I agree 100% with Keith here

i felt as safe as I could be anywhere during this pandemic on the ship. You will not be 100% safe anywhere. This ship is safer than any public venue you might visit 

kudos to crystal for the job it is doing with its protocols 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, broker1217 said:

The tenders require social distancing and spots are clearly marked.   What Crystal needs to do is better policing of their contractors for excursions. 

false positives??  Kinda of hard to believe since both positives are in same cabin.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Roel94 said:

Really..Paul!

I am in 32Cvweather now and wear mine in every restaurant and the lift. I am at thev5% group.

Really you are a pain

following rules  and having something fit is two different things  

Where is my vomit 🤮 emoji?

Edited by moggyhill
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If I wanted to go on a tour, I’d double mask. I’ve done it before. 

What they’ve done with the deck five isolation corridor sounds incredible to me! And the medical supplies. I am impressed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, May B said:

If I wanted to go on a tour, I’d double mask. I’ve done it before. 

What they’ve done with the deck five isolation corridor sounds incredible to me! And the medical supplies. I am impressed.

Yes. It is all extraordinary and impressive 

crystal is proactive and prepared 

• Like 2

All of this uncertainty and stress is not a vacation. I will not jeopardize my family for a cruise.  Not worth it.  I will wait. Just my opinion. Good sailing and health to those that assume the risk.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

All of this uncertainty and stress is not a vacation. I will not jeopardize my family for a cruise.  Not worth it.  I will wait. Just my opinion. Good sailing and health to those that assume the risk.

I'd take my chances on Crystal sooner than I would on any of the cruise lines you have listed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

The tenders require social distancing and spots are clearly marked.   What Crystal needs to do is better policing of their contractors for excursions. 

false positives??  Kinda of hard to believe since both positives are in same cabin.  

Social distancing or shall I say social seating was not enforced on the tenders I was on. People were sitting on the tape on the seats, not leaving them empty.  I also saw guests not wearing their masks in the tenders.

I was not aware that Crystal started guests wearing the bracelets.  They were not on my cruise.  Good idea.  I wonder when these two guests actually became positive.  Hopefully they did not have a lot of contact with others during that time.

14 minutes ago, AtA said:

I'd take my chances on Crystal sooner than I would on any of the cruise lines you have listed.

My parents have sailed on World cruises with Crystal, Regent and even they would not sail now.  The virus does not differentiate between cruise lines. Ive sailed besides your snarky comment on Cunard numerous times.

The virus does not know how to read Cunard, Crystal etc. Smooth sailing. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AtA said:

Do you work for Crystal 

• Like 1