Two COVID cases based on Testing Today On Serenity

PaulMCO

Hi, 

I have been booked on the Crystal Serenity's September 18 cruise since April. In June, I decided to book a seven-day cruise on the Celebrity Summit from St. Maarten. I cruised aboard the Summit from July 10 to July 17 and had a wonderful time. Similar to the Crystal Serenity cruises, there was a requirement that we be vaccinated and have tests prior to the cruise and at the end of the cruise. We needed to wear tracing bracelets (which were not waterproof) outside our staterooms. This was an outstanding cruise and I felt perfectly safe on the ship and ashore (where protocols were followed during the shore excursions). The atmosphere aboard the ship was wonderful. I love cruises (this was my 95th cruise) and was thrilled to be on a cruise. At the end of the cruise, all of the passengers tested negative for COVID.

I am hoping for a similar (and excellent) cruise on the Crystal Serenity for September. I will follow all of the protocols and take precautions, but intend to have a great time. I live in downtown Chicago and am undoubtedly less safe walking around Chicago than taking a cruise. As some of the posts note above, there is some risk in everything we do. I think the key is being smart and acting responsibly to mitigate the risks.

Chuck

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pdaniel said:

Were the positive cases caused by unvaccinated children onboard?

Didn’t Crystal initially sell this as 100% vaccinated crew and passengers?

Logic says no since the children didn't test positive.

Like most people who get COVID-19 the initial exposure will likely not be known at least for the firs person who got it.

Keith

5 hours ago, Roel94 said:

So you are saying arrive in Nassau go out  ..take COVID test be negative bd six days later be sick from going out in nassau. Glad not leaving hotel but for meals with my mask on.

Just remember some people in the hotel weren't wearing masks even though it is a requirement.  We only ate twice outside the room over three night stay and that was at an outside restaurant.  

Not sure if you have been to an airport since COVID-19.  Thankfully our son warned us about it.  In the USA very crowded and I think some people are brain deaf.  When not eating and drinking the requirement is a mask but some didn't do it.  And it's really not very nice when they walk through the airport sipping their beverage without the mask.  The polite thing would be to wait to take a seat.  Then again and I was in a hospital waiting room a few months ago and some were eating and drinking without the masks when to me they should have gone to the cafeteria.  Oh well.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder how these two positive cases have not reached the press or social media. I’m glad they haven’t, but I would like more official information from Crystal.  What happened to those two people?  Was it true positive result or a false positive?  It seems a letter from corporate should have followed that initial letter.  Can someone who just got off or someone who has just boarded give us follow-up information on this announcement?

2 hours ago, pdaniel said:

To my knowledge, there were no children on last week’s cruise. They came on yesterday. Yes to your second question.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Just remember some people in the hotel weren't wearing masks even though it is a requirement.  We only ate twice outside the room over three night stay and that was at an outside restaurant.  

Not sure if you have been to an airport since COVID-19.  Thankfully our son warned us about it.  In the USA very crowded and I think some people are brain deaf.  When not eating and drinking the requirement is a mask but some didn't do it.  And it's really not very nice when they walk through the airport sipping their beverage without the mask.  The polite thing would be to wait to take a seat.  Then again and I was in a hospital waiting room a few months ago and some were eating and drinking without the masks when to me they should have gone to the cafeteria.  Oh well.

Keith

Do you wear a N95 mask at the airport?  We are thinking of getting them for the airport and on the plane.

1 hour ago, MomC said:

I wonder how these two positive cases have not reached the press or social media. I’m glad they haven’t, but I would like more official information from Crystal.  What happened to those two people?  Was it true positive result or a false positive?  It seems a letter from corporate should have followed that initial letter.  Can someone who just got off or someone who has just boarded give us follow-up information on this announcement?

Not sure what you mean about true or false.  For those positive they are retested and they did leave the ship.  The letter was for those on the cruise.  I am sure Crystal PR will answer questions directed to them by the press and if they feel necessary will issue something additional.    

Keith

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, peribit said:

Do you wear a N95 mask at the airport?  We are thinking of getting them for the airport and on the plane.

At the airport just like home when going to grocery stores, medical appointments we each wear the basic blue mask and the KN95 mask.  We did bring the face shield for the flights but ended up not wearing it.

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

This information about the airports make me want to scream. 😱. I knew taking away mask regulations would mean people would behave like this.  I know several people who aren’t vaccinated and won’t wear their masks because they don’t want others to know .  🤬Maybe I could get anesthesia and travel with the luggage.  Booked on Symphony this fall 😳

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

At the airport just like home when going to grocery stores, medical appointments we each wear the basic blue mask and the KN95 mask.  We did bring the face shield for the flights but ended up not wearing it.

Keith

Good to know.  I was thinking of the face shields but decided against it because it is so clumsy.

• Like 1

There were no small children the 2 weeks we were on board

I would not have been happy to see unvaccinated passengers, including children ineligible for the vaccine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Keith, you  know I have seen many many airports since March 2020. Dallas,TX was the worse saturday I have seen. The rule breakers  were at a highl 

I am not sure why you were in a hospital waiting room. I think drinking water would be ok but not a full on meal. 

2 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

This information about the airports make me want to scream. 😱. I knew taking away mask regulations would mean people would behave like this.  I know several people who aren’t vaccinated and won’t wear their masks because they don’t want others to know .  🤬Maybe I could get anesthesia and travel with the luggage.  Booked on Symphony this fall 😳

I had fights with my friends who are refusing  the vaccine. As I said Dallas is the worse. 

5 hours ago, pdaniel said:

Here we go again blame it on a child.

11 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

Keith, you  know I have seen many many airports since March 2020. Dallas,TX was the worse saturday I have seen. The rule breakers  were at a highl 

I am not sure why you were in a hospital waiting room. I think drinking water would be ok but not a full on meal. 

PLus 1.  Dallas was scary.  Mask wearers were in the minority.

8 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

Here we go again blame it on a child.

There were no small children on the cruise with the 2 positive cases so there are no children to "blame."

However, I would not sail with unvaccinated children.  I am risk averse when it comes to Covid.  I am surprised Crystal permitted unvaccinated children on these cruises.  Not advertised as such.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peribit said:

Good to know.  I was thinking of the face shields but decided against it because it is so clumsy.

What I would do on a flight is sanitize your arm rests, seat belts and tray tables.  There is no way the cleaners have time to sanitize the aircraft.   The people disembark and 20 minutes later you are boarding the same aircraft. On AA on our return the flight attendant handed out sanitizing wipes when we boarded.  I had come prepared.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

What I would do on a flight is sanitize your arm rests, seat belts and tray tables.  There is no way the cleaners have time to sanitize the aircraft.   The people disembark and 20 minutes later you are boarding the same aircraft. On AA on our return the flight attendant handed out sanitizing wipes when we boarded.  I had come prepared.

Been doing this for several years.  My husband would roll his eyes. 🙄. Today he said, don’t forget the wipes! 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roel94 said:

I had fights with my friends who are refusing  the vaccine. As I said Dallas is the worse. 

Thank goodness we are going through Chicago to NYC instead of Dallas 😉. Sure it will be equally as bad . 😝

41 minutes ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

Thank goodness we are going through Chicago to NYC instead of Dallas 😉. Sure it will be equally as bad . 😝

Chicago is pretty mask compliant. I have been at ORD 4 times in the last 6 weeks and saw nobody without a mask. But like anywhere else, there are lots of folks with the mask UNDER their nose. Tougher part is that there is really not enough space in the gate areas or the concourse for all the people--it can be very hard to socially distance. 

Worst I have seen was Tampa---many people with no mask at all, not even a courtesy mask hanging from their ear. Much worse than even Las Vegas airport.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MomC said:

I chalk it up to good timing…. All of the much more significant shipboard Covid issues of the past two weeks (including World Dream) shifted the conversation from “OMG, Someone on a ship has Covid” to where the protocols are working less effectively — and this clearly isn’t one of those cases.

If this had happened last month, the coverage would have been much different, but now with the bigger outbreaks it’s a non-event.

Vince

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:35 PM, PaulMCO said:

Bus was 1 x 2 across with a jump sheet in the aisle.  Packed like sardines the jump seats were used. 

Each passenger is is required to wear a bracelet that has a transponder that reports position and who you have been within near distance.  Passengers are required to wear this outside their staterooms and off ship.  

Exactly like the plane ride from Atlanta to Nassau in my opinion 

7 hours ago, MomC said:

Based on my friends experience (testing positive before boarding yesterday) they have likely been put in Bahamas quarantine at the Mariott downtown Nassau for 14 days.

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

Based on my friends experience (testing positive before boarding yesterday) they have likely been put in Bahamas quarantine at the Mariott downtown Nassau for 14 days.

Good to know the hotel to avoid in Nassau for a pre stay....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1