Two COVID cases based on Testing Today On Serenity

PaulMCO

On 7/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, juicyjuju said:

Some people continue to test positive for covid for up to three months, even though they are no longer contagious. 

Wow, I did not know that!

16 hours ago, Roel94 said:

So you are saying arrive in Nassau go out  ..take COVID test be negative bd six days later be sick from going out in nassau. Glad not leaving hotel but for meals with my mask on.

They could’ve also caught it in one of the airports on the day they flew to Nassau.

Or, I suppose, even in the Uber to the airport. The drivers are all masked but we don’t know about any previous, non-compliant passengers.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Chicago is pretty mask compliant. I have been at ORD 4 times in the last 6 weeks and saw nobody without a mask. But like anywhere else, there are lots of folks with the mask UNDER their nose. Tougher part is that there is really not enough space in the gate areas or the concourse for all the people--it can be very hard to socially distance. 

Worst I have seen was Tampa---many people with no mask at all, not even a courtesy mask hanging from their ear. Much worse than even Las Vegas airport.

Edited by May B
Ugh. Can’t edit. Wanted to say you hit a bad day at Tampa. I saw plenty of masks.

17 hours ago, hubbards said:

IMHO, most of us have learned alot about viruses since the start of Covid but 99% of us who comment are not experts, nor are any of the staff on Crystal.  Yes, Crystal is doing their finest to keep everyone, staff and guests, safe.  At the end of the day traveling on a cruise, flying on a plane, dining out at a restaurant, going to a baseball game, etc. is a known risk that each individual will assess based on their own comfort level.  This virus may never go away but I am confident we will all learn to live with it and go on with our lives.  I applaud Crystal for their efforts and I am happy to see that hundreds/thousands of people are supporting their efforts.  I look forward to a future cruise with Crystal and seeing past guests and friendly familiar faces of the crew.

Very Well Said! I am curious - has the Delta Variant of COVID19 hit Canada and USA shores yet?  It has reached our shores here in Australia and let me tell you, this particular strain is on a  whole other level! Extremely transmissible, and more lethal to people of all ages .. really scary stuff! 

We are all in lockdown again here in my hometown of Adelaide, South Australia and most of the country is also shut down or major restrictions in place.  Travel for us Aussies is sadly just a pipe dream:(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, May B said:

Wow, I did not know that!

Have friends who had virus in 2020:and the norm three ninths but some are longer. They need a drs note to travel with the dates of COVID etc.

1 hour ago, angiepange said:

Very Well Said! I am curious - has the Delta Variant of COVID19 hit Canada and USA shores yet?  It has reached our shores here in Australia and let me tell you, this particular strain is on a  whole other level! Extremely transmissible, and more lethal to people of all ages .. really scary stuff! 

We are all in lockdown again here in my hometown of Adelaide, South Australia and most of the country is also shut down or major restrictions in place.  Travel for us Aussies is sadly just a pipe dream:(

Heard about the lockdown .Friend just cooking up a storm to keep busy instead of working .

1 hour ago, Roel94 said:

Heard about the lockdown .Friend just cooking up a storm to keep busy instead of working .

Yep 👍 same here! What else can you do! Just getting a batch of cookies out of my oven and the banana bread that I baked earlier today has been demolished already 😋🤣 oh boy!

5 hours ago, angiepange said:

Yes--Delta is the dominant strain in US now. Last I saw it was 80% of new cases.

Be thankful that your government and your citizens take this seriously. You are saving untold numbers of lives.

• Like 5

The cases are low in Canada but most new cases are Delta variant.  Let me ask you…I thought Australian borders have been closed for 16+ months.  Am I wrong?  If closed, how do they explain the “explosion” of cases (whatever that means) and the entry of the Delta variant?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hubbards said:

The cases are low in Canada but most new cases are Delta variant.  Let me ask you…I thought Australian borders have been closed for 16+ months.  Am I wrong?  If closed, how do they explain the “explosion” of cases (whatever that means) and the entry of the Delta variant?

This insidious little bugger most probably snuck in with a returning Australian citizen coming home from abroad. Hotel quarantining is not foolproof and this strain is able to be passed on through fleeting contact, so “bang”!  ..And with our low percentage of vaccinated people it is very worrying 😔.  

On 7/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, bonnieg said:

I wish I knew what tours they were on. Some of those vans and shuttles had some tight seating. 

No tighter than a plane, and we all were masked.

I see.  Looking online there were 173 new cases in the whole country of Australia yesterday.  Canada was about 600 yesterday.  I hope you and your fellow countrymen/people are able to return to normalcy very soon.  Stay safe.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, hubbards said:

While international borders are basically closed in Australia it’s not a complete closure, we still have returning citizens who do 14 days in designated quarantine hotels and freight flights with crew as well as movie “stars” coming to make movies and others who are “working”. Returning numbers that are allowed are very limited based on quarantine facilities. This latest outbreak comes from a local driver taking a freight crew to a hotel and not being adequately protected or vaccinated - from there it got passed on to the community and has been spreading in Sydney for a couple of months. The Delta variant is super aggressive in its ability to spread via air transmission. Then we have idiots who are infected who travel interstate as part of their job and so it gets into other States. So at the moment we have 3 major cities with around 11m people in lockdown. This is a very simplified version of the current outbreak and people need to understand we consider 120 cases in a day in Sydney a major issue and an explosion as we are trying to get a near zero number of cases 

Remember we have only 13% of our eligible population  fully vaccinated and 30.5% who have had their first shot and while we’re doing a million shots a week we face issues with supply of our now preferred vaccine, Pfizer, versus Astra Zeneca which although we have plenty of supplies of many people don’t wish to have for various reasons 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The vans and shuttles were WAY tighter than airplanes

There were no arm rests separating seats - you are shoulder to shoulder with fellow cruisers and the seats are narrower than airplane seats

There was no way to know if the van was sanitized and no opportunity to sanitize the area yourself.

In one of our vans they used the jump seats in the middle creating 5 across with no separation between seats and passengers.

I am not saying that anyone caught Covid on those vans and shuttles but if you are risk averse you may opt not to take an organized excursion (althought it's the only way to swim with the pigs and that was fabulous)

As for the tenders, you are able to social distance but not everyone chose to do so.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

While international borders are basically closed in Australia it’s not a complete closure, we still have returning citizens who do 14 days in designated quarantine hotels and freight flights with crew as well as movie “stars” coming to make movies and others who are “working”. Returning numbers that are allowed are very limited based on quarantine facilities. This latest outbreak comes from a local driver taking a freight crew to a hotel and not being adequately protected or vaccinated - from there it got passed on to the community and has been spreading in Sydney for a couple of months. The Delta variant is super aggressive in its ability to spread via air transmission. Then we have idiots who are infected who travel interstate as part of their job and so it gets into other States. So at the moment we have 3 major cities with around 11m people in lockdown. This is a very simplified version of the current outbreak and people need to understand we consider 120 cases in a day in Sydney a major issue and an explosion as we are trying to get a near zero number of cases 

Remember we have only 13% of our eligible population  fully vaccinated and 30.5% who have had their first shot and while we’re doing a million shots a week we face issues with supply of our now preferred vaccine, Pfizer, versus Astra Zeneca which although we have plenty of supplies of many people don’t wish to have for various reasons 

Much the same here Stickman but at least we dont have any cases in the community (at the moment)

I wonder how many cases are going to slip through with the week of allowing NZers back into NZ from Australia without having to do the 14 day quarantine before they shut our boarders again for 8 weeks?

Edited by Thecat123
  • Like 1