Carnival Journeys, Vaccine AND Testing

PC 462

I got a letter this evening about my 14 day Panama Canal cruise from Baltimore to Tampa on October 31.  It says passengers will need to be vaccinated AND will also have to provide a negative PCR test for Covid performed within 24-72 hours of boarding (evidently at our expense).  Also, the itinerary is changed- Amber Cove, Santa Marta, Cartagena and Limon are replaced by Belize, Aruba and Curacao.

According to CDC, "fully vaccinated people can refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States."  I hope Carnival will reconsider this new requirement, if the ports allow.

I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but my cruise from Baltimore on September 5 was cancelled on Monday, the changes in the letter are a little stressful, and cases are surging, making me wonder if the October cruise will go forward.

I know these are "first world problems" but I really miss cruising!

Carnival Journey Letter.pdf

• Thanks 1

It seems to be because of the length of the cruise and because the CSO doesn't expire until Nov 1st. Given the length of the cruise and fact that it is not closed loop, I wouldn't object. 14 days is plenty of time for covid to show up, and no telling where you might end up if the cruise was terminated early because of covid 

Cruisers doing b2b cruises are also required to be tested.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

It seems to be because of the length of the cruise and because the CSO doesn't expire until Nov 1st. Given the length of the cruise and fact that it is not closed loop, I wouldn't object. 14 days is plenty of time for covid to show up, and no telling where you might end up if the cruise was terminated early because of covid 

I am little confused by you response, Do you think Carnival should just cancel this cruise?

Wow im so glad you posted this OP. I had wanted to do a partial Panama which IS a closed loop of this length myself. The ones out of Galveston.  I wonder if the issue is yours isnt a closed loop and all these partial Panama cruises require it. 

Very informative and thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The CSO at this point is not binding. 

41 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I really think that when the dust settles if Florida wins then the other states will win via precedent. 

I'm just stating what is true now, who knows if cdc will pull a power grab beyond nov 1, it's their history to be power hungry. 

Better for me to know what is true now, not guess the future. My crystal ball got fuzzy during covid and is green with mold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would be reassured to know that all of the other cruisers are COVID-free when they board the ship with me, rather than sailing with some who have a breakthrough, asymptomatic case.  Fourteen days is a long time to be in close contact with a number of other people.  I expect to contract a breakthrough infection at some point in time, but would prefer it not be on a long cruise.

PC 462 - I want to say I am sorry your ports were changed.  Our head understands the reasons, but our heart is disappointed.   It is a blow if you booked your Journeys cruise based on destinations / ports.    We have been looking at that same cruise for a later year for a special anniversary.  It would have been hard to swallow even though it is deemed safer.   Wishing you wonderful memories on your new destinations.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on this cruise and we are canceling.  24-72 hours isn't enough of a window.  I've called around about getting quick PCR results in the rural area where we live.   I understand that the quick antigen tests are not PCR tests and PCR test results take 2-7 days to get around here.  And we don't live near the port so we have to factor in travel time.  We can't figure out how to get it done in the time frame allotted.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Two Rileys said:

We are on this cruise and we are canceling.  24-72 hours isn't enough of a window.  I've called around about getting quick PCR results in the rural area where we live.   I understand that the quick antigen tests are not PCR tests and PCR test results take 2-7 days to get around here.  And we don't live near the port so we have to factor in travel time.  We can't figure out how to get it done in the time frame allotted.

I'm sorry to hear this.  For the record, I've always preferred that if there needs to be a test before boarding, that the cruise line test at the terminal just before boarding.  Doing so would prevent impossible situations like yours.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

The CSO at this point is not binding. 

The irrelevant lawsuits will likely still be tied up in courts until after the CSO is repealed and replaced Nov 1. Meanwhile the flip flopping will continue. Cruise lines seem fed up with the political judiciary and have made their stance known. They will follow the CDC.

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The irrelevant lawsuits will likely still be tied up in courts until after the CSO is repealed and replaced Nov 1. Meanwhile the flip flopping will continue. Cruise lines seem fed up with the political judiciary and have made their stance known. They will follow the CDC.

The CSO is essentially repealed as of yesterday. We are beyond July 18. And it's not settled at all how the lines will conduct policies. Just look at Disney, RCCL (they have 2 protocols for different ships), MSC, and Carnival. They all have different protocols. I choose Carnival's protocols as long as I have to cruise under them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

The CSO is essentially repealed as of yesterday. We are beyond July 18. And it's not settled at all how the lines will conduct policies. Just look at Disney, RCCL (they have 2 protocols for different ships), MSC, and Carnival. They all have different protocols. I choose Carnival's protocols as long as I have to cruise under them.

It will go back and forth. The CSO provides for multiple paths. Cruising has restarted. No cruise line is going to change horses now. There is a new normal.

55 minutes ago, Two Rileys said:

I'm very sorry that you have decided to cancel.  I haven't even begun to figure out how I will get tested and have the results in a timely way.  Carnival is being more strict than CDC requires (see below). Even when I try to research these things, I still don't understand.  I might suggest that you wait a little while before pulling the trigger.  Things may change and/or you may be able to find a test that will be read in time.  I understand, though.  For the first time in the past two years, I feel like postponing cruising until 2022. 

Testing of Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable*
Disembarkation Testing ^  Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable

* While embarkation testing is not required, international travelers arriving in the U.S. are recommended to be tested 3-5 days after arrival, including those who are fully vaccinated. Cruise operators may follow this recommendation at their discretion.

^ Disembarkation testing is only required for voyages of more than 4 nights.

¥ Back-to-back sailing refers to passengers who stay on board for two or more voyages.

• Thanks 1

Testing remains a threshold issue for me.  Absent 'probable cause' which I completely understand, I'm not prepared to risk it again.  We did it to go to Maui earlier this year but we were taking advantage of $104pp airfare.  At 'retail' pricing, not happening.

Sorry for your news.

1 hour ago, Two Rileys said:

Most PCR tests come back in a day. I took my daughter to Quest and it was back the next day.  Others on my sailing last week used CVS and it also only took a day.  I had to drive an hour to get a location that was still doing the PCR tests.

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Wow im so glad you posted this OP. I had wanted to do a partial Panama which IS a closed loop of this length myself. The ones out of Galveston.  I wonder if the issue is yours isnt a closed loop and all these partial Panama cruises require it. 

Very informative and thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad to be part of a community that helps one another.  If this helps your planning, I'm happy.  You may be right about why this cruise is requiring both vaccination and testing.  I wish we didn't have to read between the lines to figure out what is going on.  More information from Carnival would be nice.  Remember when cruising was not so stressful?

10 hours ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

PC 462 - I want to say I am sorry your ports were changed.  Our head understands the reasons, but our heart is disappointed.   It is a blow if you booked your Journeys cruise based on destinations / ports.    We have been looking at that same cruise for a later year for a special anniversary.  It would have been hard to swallow even though it is deemed safer.   Wishing you wonderful memories on your new destinations.  

MtnSeaGirl - You are so right, it is more of an emotional thing and I appreciate that you recognized that in my post.  Booked this Journey last May after our May 2020 anniversary cruise was cancelled. Cartagena reminds me of "Romancing the Stone"  and Santa Marta, Columbia is an unusual port of call.  At least we will see the canal!  I would have been more pleased about finally going to Aruba and Curacao if I hadn't already booked the Horizon to the ABC Islands for September 2022.

I have handled the multiple re-bookings of the past year and a half pretty well, I think, but it is starting to get to me.

Thanks again for your kind words and good wishes!

On 7/23/2021 at 11:56 PM, PC 462 said:

I got a letter this evening about my 14 day Panama Canal cruise from Baltimore to Tampa on October 31.  It says passengers will need to be vaccinated AND will also have to provide a negative PCR test for Covid performed within 24-72 hours of boarding (evidently at our expense).  

I'm sorry this has happened. The chances for getting the results back in time are so slim. The Partial Panama cruise is a lot of fun. I was on the Pride a few years ago. I'll be glad when we no longer have to look back at better days and the ease of cruising then. I do hope everything works out for you.

• Like 1