Jump to content

EDGE July 24, 2021 LIVE (B2B)


KKB
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jcpc said:

Yes, QUITE  useful if you are eating in the MDRs.  I am sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say and if you took offense at me saying it was useless information.  It's only useless info to the folks dining in Luminae......definitely NOT useless info to the folks dining in the MDRs.  I believe graphicguy is assigned to Luminae as he is in a suite.  Again, sorry if you took offense to my post.

No worries—making sure clarified for all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cozumel: Small Group Discoveries, Flavors & Traditions of MX

HIGHLY recommend!!

We first did a tequila tasting (HINT: tequila is ONLY made from blue agave. The stuff most of us drink is actually mescal). Learned a lot, tasted 8 wonderful tequilas & bought a couple to take home!

Then San Gervasio Mayan ruins. Our tour guide (for the day) was Nachi. He is a TREASURE! Funny, knowledgeable & just a lovely man.

we then went to Playa Mia (VERY nice but huge, tho not overly busy) for a cooking lesson. Shrimp sopas, tamarind grouper with veggies & rice and sautéed plantains with chocolate tequila sauce. The team was SO great—entertaining, accommodating, helpful. Even my husband decided he can cook (with direction)—oh, and all u could drink was included.

This is my fav excursion in 17 cruises (zip lining in Jamaica is close). Worth every penny.

But didn’t eat until 4 so not sure about dinner…

And frankly a siesta sounds good…

Looking at game show & trivia for later…comedian at 1030 HOPEFULLY…

Meanwhile it is absolutely gorgeous out here on our deck; I’m perfectly content❤️

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Captain just said it was a symptomatic passenger who tested positive & they disembarked them.

 

Edited by KKB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, Crystal from Activities staff was in our excursion. We had so much fun getting to know her better (she was excited to have people on the cruise that she “knew”).

 

We have definitely enjoyed her all week, but it’s always a treat to really get to know crew! She is a gem!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2021 at 5:39 PM, KKB said:

7& 9 in the casino

The shows are in the casino?!

 

NEVERMIND - I saw the correction. She meant to say theater. 

Edited by KonaPoodle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2021 at 3:39 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Yes!  YES!  Eliminate the shops where a tee is a kajillion dollars and make a wine bar!  Brilliant!

 

And I concur with the ratings on the seating.  Our couch in our sky suite was hard as a rock.  I liked the Martini Bar seats except for the odd little round ones on the side near the bar.  But whoever said Goldilocks is exactly right.  We found it amusing to sit in Eden and watch people plop down, start wriggling, then frowning, then moving to another set of chairs...and another...and another.  We started placing bets as to how many chairs they would try before leaving.  🤔🙄

We didn't like the Martini Bar.  We love the huge ice bar on the Solstice and Freedom class ships.  On the Edge, no ice, much smaller with a plastic ice sculpture.  I agree about the little furniture.  Not practical for people who are tall and overweight!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We didn't like the Martini Bar.  We love the huge ice bar on the Solstice and M  class ships.  On the Edge, no ice, much smaller with a plastic ice sculpture.  I agree about the little furniture.  Not practical for people who are tall  seniors or  overweight!

following

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Unfortunately they still charged me 🤣

I understand paying 25 for a great bottle like Dom , I seen people pay the corkage on a 5 dollar bottle of wine. We are more we are more partial to a good Napa Cabernet,  on a previous celebrity cruise the sommelier in Luminae asked us if he could taste our bottle we allowed him and we were not charged corkage, we are almost never charged on rccl .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another vaxxed passengers tested positive. 
But remember—2 did on 1st cruise out; none since.

 

Pool is strangely dead at 10:30. MANY poolside loungers available. POOLSIDE.

It is a bit windy but otherwise gorgeous.

I attribute it to Captain Kates Q&A at 10:15.👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a cooking excursion in Cozumel once.  The chef asked the assembled wannabe chefs “What’s the first thing we do when we start to cook?” A silence and then someone replied “Wash our hands?”  No!  The correct response was “Make a drink!”

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 7:16 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I saw pictures of the original munchkin chairs in the Retreat.  Pretty funny.  I believe they have been removed.  I haven't sailed on an E class ship yet.

I have really small rear end and could sit in one (not comfortable).   They really were a conversation piece. 

 

Here's a picture of Iain proving you could wedge into one.

image.png.b04b9269e1ed353f7bdbc300d6d17d9d.png

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, gbphipps said:

In case anyone was interested in the Chef’s table experience on the Edge we thought we would post how it went for us.  Sorry not to have pictures of the food as the other 6 people were so much fun we  enjoyed visiting and didn’t take you any food porn. Lol. 

 

We had to get ready for our 5:45 dinner rather early, but the meal and wine pairings were fantastic:

 

We began with sparkling wine with lobster and cantaloupe amuse bouche in Café al Bacio on Deck 4.  The head chef introduced the evening, but the noise from the Grand Atrium was so loud that he could not be heard.  The eight of us then went up to Deck 5 to the tasting room at Fine Cuts where the spectacular five course meal began.  

 

We started with curried cauliflower soup with saffron and apples accompanied by a Gavi dei Gavi, La Scolca Bianco Secco. All the wines paired so beautifully with the food that we were so happy we sprang for the wine pairing.  We never could have chosen as perfect of wines on our own.

 

This was followed with mushroom risotto persillade with aged parmesan accompanied by Les Tuilieres Sincerre 2018.  The persillade was a parsley foam.  It was amazing!

 

The fish course was sea bass with Za’atar with fennel, sweet pepper, lemon tomato vinaigrette accompanied with Gran Moraine Yamhill’Carlton Oregon Chardonnay 2014.  

 

The main course was a duo of beef filet and short rib with root vegetable boulangere and mushroom-red wine sauce accompanied by Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley 2016.  

 

All of this was followed by a dessert of Java Grand Cru Cacao, Sumatra Coffee Cremeux with licorice Gelato accompanied with Blandy’s Madeira 15 year old Malmsey.  I am not sure we ever needed to eat again.  It  was that perfect.

 

All this wound up about 8:45 but we lingered over another glass of the Cabernet before leaving for a stroll through the jewelry stores on the way to Eden where we listened to the jazz band for an hour or so before heading off to bed a little before 11:00.  It was a brilliant evening.

That sounds fab! Thanks for the very tasty review! If you have time, could you answer a couple of questions?

Did you have to book this onboard? We're unable to book it online as of now for some reason.

Does the wine pairing work off the premier beverage package or is it a separate charge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, gbphipps said:

In case anyone was interested in the Chef’s table experience on the Edge we thought we would post how it went for us.  Sorry not to have pictures of the food as the other 6 people were so much fun we  enjoyed visiting and didn’t take you any food porn. Lol. 

 

We had to get ready for our 5:45 dinner rather early, but the meal and wine pairings were fantastic:

 

We began with sparkling wine with lobster and cantaloupe amuse bouche in Café al Bacio on Deck 4.  The head chef introduced the evening, but the noise from the Grand Atrium was so loud that he could not be heard.  The eight of us then went up to Deck 5 to the tasting room at Fine Cuts where the spectacular five course meal began.  

 

We started with curried cauliflower soup with saffron and apples accompanied by a Gavi dei Gavi, La Scolca Bianco Secco. All the wines paired so beautifully with the food that we were so happy we sprang for the wine pairing.  We never could have chosen as perfect of wines on our own.

 

This was followed with mushroom risotto persillade with aged parmesan accompanied by Les Tuilieres Sincerre 2018.  The persillade was a parsley foam.  It was amazing!

 

The fish course was sea bass with Za’atar with fennel, sweet pepper, lemon tomato vinaigrette accompanied with Gran Moraine Yamhill’Carlton Oregon Chardonnay 2014.  

 

The main course was a duo of beef filet and short rib with root vegetable boulangere and mushroom-red wine sauce accompanied by Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley 2016.  

 

All of this was followed by a dessert of Java Grand Cru Cacao, Sumatra Coffee Cremeux with licorice Gelato accompanied with Blandy’s Madeira 15 year old Malmsey.  I am not sure we ever needed to eat again.  It  was that perfect.

 

All this wound up about 8:45 but we lingered over another glass of the Cabernet before leaving for a stroll through the jewelry stores on the way to Eden where we listened to the jazz band for an hour or so before heading off to bed a little before 11:00.  It was a brilliant evening.

So glad you had a great time and with only 8 guests, I can see why it sells out so quickly. If I might ask, which cruise day was it on, as we have it booked on the Aug 7th cruise, and folks have said it's not actually held on embarkation day even though our itinerary says it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have really small rear end and could sit in one (not comfortable).   They really were a conversation piece. 

 

Here's a picture of Iain proving you could wedge into one.

image.png.b04b9269e1ed353f7bdbc300d6d17d9d.png

 

Come to think of it, I believe they had the slightly larger versions in the "new, improved" Retreat when last I was on Equinox just before the great cessation of cruising.  Can't say I'm a major fan of the new decor or the self service concept either.  It used to be really nice to come in, have a comfortable seat, and be waited on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have really small rear end and could sit in one (not comfortable).   They really were a conversation piece. 

 

Here's a picture of Iain proving you could wedge into one.

image.png.b04b9269e1ed353f7bdbc300d6d17d9d.png

But there was some nice couches and loved the floor to ceiling window, old micheals had almost no outside view .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top: regular WiFi not great for checking into SWA (for Mom) using iPhone or iPad.

Had to go to the iLounge & use a computer. 
Still slower than I’d like but it wasn’t too bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I remember a cooking excursion in Cozumel once.  The chef asked the assembled wannabe chefs “What’s the first thing we do when we start to cook?” A silence and then someone replied “Wash our hands?”  No!  The correct response was “Make a drink!”

I think I did that excursion as well! Was the chef Luis?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So glad you had a great time and with only 8 guests, I can see why it sells out so quickly. If I might ask, which cruise day was it on, as we have it booked on the Aug 7th cruise, and folks have said it's not actually held on embarkation day even though our itinerary says it is.

What is the cost now? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, which day of the cruise and at what time did they hold the Chef's Table on?

There seem to be 2 discussions going on regarding "chefs." I was responding to an excursion we took in Cozumel that included a cooking class and our chef was Moses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

$139 per person (in advance) and an extra $60 per person (on board) if you want to purchase the wine pairing option.

Thank you! Must make decision before we board to save extra $60/person.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...