Rent or bring own snorkel equipment

Trying to limit baggage for an upcoming cruise and really don’t want to bring my own equipment (vest , snorkel stuff, fins)

If I rent, do you think they clean the equipment sufficiently ?

In light of Covid, is it safe to rent or should I bring my own 

That's a coin toss on if they clean it satisfactorily or not depending on the vendor.  Question is:  How much of a chance are you willing to take?

Perhaps a compromise on just bringing the gear that will be on your face/mouth?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Trying to limit baggage for an upcoming cruise and really don’t want to bring my own equipment (vest , snorkel stuff, fins)

If I rent, do you think they clean the equipment sufficiently ?

In light of Covid, is it safe to rent or should I bring my own 

How would we know whether “they” clean the equipment sufficiently? As with so much in life, it will really depend on the vendor.

Even pre-Covid, we brought our own masks/snorkels both for fit and hygiene. We also have float vests (deflatable/weighing a few ounces at most) and multi-purpose/lightweight “reef runners”and rash guard tops. What we don’t bring are swim fins which are bulky/heavy and usually unnecessary.

• Like 1

Bring your mask, snorkel and vest, leave flippers home.  I've seen venders "wash" their equipment in sea water by just sloshing them a bit in the ocean.

Now perhaps post COVID, there may be more stringent measures in place, but then there may not be, so why take the chance?

• Like 1

If you have vision problems you might consider buying your own mask with a prescription lens.  Not terribly expensive and makes a big difference.

We bought ours and will bring it. After doing the Amazon thing for top rated gear and sending all 3 sets back, went to one local dive company. They were just like "Here, buy this, its $250, and your set". Walked out when they didn't offer any real help. Went to another one that has a pool. They let me try the gear on, see how it fit, see if I didn't like something. The craziest part is how difficult it was to find fins that worked. The general ones that all snorkel excursions have do not work with my feet. I had severe cramping and nerve pinching. I had to get the one that require a bootie. Yes, a little more expense, but the mask that worked the best was only $20 vs $120. It was about $200 for mask, fins, and snorkel. They said the gear will probably out live me.

We own our own equipment (including a decent prescription mask) and have a solution.  When we have an issue with packing too much we will only pack our masks and snorkels and depend on tours/rentals to supply fins.

Hank

I like the way my mask fits. More to the point, I hate the way rental masks don’t fit. And there’s not a chance in hell I’m putting a rental snorkel in my mouth and breathing through it. I could go either way on rental fins and vest. 

I purchased a solid face mask at a good price online. It fits better, works better, doesn't fog up. It makes snorkeling much more enjoyable than the cheap crap you get. I don't bring the flippers anymore though.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, mnocket said:

If you have vision problems you might consider buying your own mask with a prescription lens.  Not terribly expensive and makes a big difference.

I can't agree more! Being extremely nearsighted, I never got the appeal of snorkeling until I spent $50 on a prescription face mask. Where before I saw a gray/blue mass of dense water, now I could see the multicolored fish, coral, and so much more!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 10:38 AM, gizbywife said:

I can't agree more! Being extremely nearsighted, I never got the appeal of snorkeling until I spent $50 on a prescription face mask. Where before I saw a gray/blue mass of dense water, now I could see the multicolored fish, coral, and so much more!!!! 

I remember being so impressed the first time I wore contact lenses with goggles swimming… obviously contacts may not work at dive depths but they definitely work for snorkelling if you don’t want to go through the expense of a prescription mask. Before I had LASIK my prescription changed every couple of years and it wouldn’t have been worth the expense to get new lenses in a mask every time. Daily disposable contact lenses were my go-to for sports.