Question about refund if paid for gift card for canceled excursion

I booked an excursion on my upcoming cruise a long time ago and paid with a gift card.  My cruise is in 2 weeks. It was an excursion we previously took that we enjoyed. Previously, the excursion was scheduled in the afternoon. It is basically a booze cruise. I just noticed that the excursion I booked is from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. I honestly have no desire to do what amounts to a booze cruise at 8:30 in the morning and would like to pick another one.  My best guess is that when I booked the excursion, I didn't notice the time since I knew previously the excursion had been in the afternoon.  So, my question is this: If I cancel, will they send me a new gift card?  Sort of a bummer because I doubt I will get it in the mail before our cruise sails.  

Posted (edited)

YES, you will get a refund in the form you paid for it with (gift card), be advised it MAY very well take more than the 2 weeks to get the refund since they are swamped right now due to all the cancelled cruises.

You could also possibly wait until you board and go to the shore excursion desk and ask them to "switch" you to a different excursion.  They have done this for us with no penalty several times. If you just "cancel" your excursion once onboard they do have the right to charge a cancellation fee per their rules.

Edited by wemjam

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

YES, you will get a refund in the form you paid for it with (gift card), be advised it MAY very well take more than the 2 weeks to get the refund since they are swamped right now due to all the cancelled cruises.

You could also possibly wait until you board and go to the shore excursion desk and ask them to "switch" you to a different excursion.  They have done this for us with no penalty several times. If you just "cancel" your excursion once onboard they do have the right to charge a cancellation fee per their rules.

I went ahead and canceled it because I see another one I want to book.  I will just wait on the refund. isn't a big deal if we don't get it before the cruise since I have other cruises coming up I can use the gift card on.

BEST bet for sure if you see another one you want.  We are the same way, we always have "another" cruise booked down the road, so waiting for the refund is no big deal.  Just wasn't sure if you needed it before this cruise or not so wanted to make sure you knew it probably wouldn't get there in time.

I will say before this round of cancellations that just happened, I too cancelled something I paid for gift card with and got mine in the mail within a week.  So it MIGHT make it before you go, but I imagine right now they are really behind.

• Like 1

Im glad i searched first because i was about to ask a very similar question. I just canceled one of our excursions for our March 2022 cruise that we paid for on a gift card. We recently booked a sailing on the Magic that leaves in two months. Hopefully we get it by then 🤞