What cocktails do you recommend on Princess?

London Lemonade -- which I don't think is on the cocktail menu anymore, but is definitely still in their little black book of recipes.  Tastes like a good tart lemonade but with a nice kick of gin.  Not to be confused with the Lemon Drop martini, which is way too sweet for my tastes. 

Martini: Chairman of the Board. Ask for the old recipe and get it with a twist. I definitely would not like it with olives. Yeech... I'm not a big martini drinker but this one is my go to.  Tip: If you are getting a drink to take to the theater so you can get a seat early, ask to have this in a Rocks Glass. It is vastly easier to carry without slopping it all over than a stupid Martini Glass.

Margarita: 24K Gold Margarita. Get it On The Rocks and ask for it in a Rocks Glass. The server will try to tell you "it won't be as big", etc. BS. It's the same measure of liquors but isn't in that stupid Margarita Glass. I always specify "No Salt". I don't need or want the salt on the rim.

These are my two "go to" pre-made drinks. Other than those I usually drink either Tanqueray and Tonic, Scotch straight up (I'm fond of the Talisker 10 year old but many can't handle the peat), or Bourbon straight up.

Tip: If you have the beverage package they limit you to "one drink at a time" but... If you are drinking Scotch, etc. "straight up" (or even on the rocks) they will happily pour you a double as it is pretty obvious you aren't sharing the drink with someone else.

Tip: I've read posts here where people "prime" the bartender with $20 or $50 tips right away. Bleh... Be nice to your bartender and servers but you really don't need to tip them extra to get good service. If you do feel like tipping the server or bartender don't try to "buy" them. It's insulting. $1 is not only plenty but actually more than enough. If you are nice to them and treat them like normal people they will treat you right without any extra tip at all.

Note:  We went through one fairly long cruise with only a couple of "extra" $1 tips. The next fairly long cruise I told my wife I was going to experiment and I went through approximately $100 in $1 bar tips. We had pretty much the same service on both cruises. Like I said above, it's much more about how you interact with the bartenders and servers than the tips.

Disclosure: I have actually tipped a couple of servers and bartenders at the end of the cruise. They aren't part of the "normal" tip pool. Yes, they do share in the "automagic" 18% gratuity that is added to all drinks but, at the end of the cruise, these few folks had been exceptional and gone "above and beyond" despite the fact that I hadn't been tipping all along.

• Like 3

I like a Yellow Bird and it's usually the first drink I get when we board a new cruise. It's become my cruise boarding day tradition:

1 oz Bacardi Light Rum
1/4 oz Galliano
1/4 oz Creme de Banana
2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice

I have found that not all bartenders are familiar with this drink but they can quickly look it up in their book. 

• Like 1

I always get the name wrong, but I think it's Cherry Blossom Garden.  It's really light and refreshing and it sneaks up on you.  I ask for extra cherries.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Martini: Chairman of the Board. Ask for the old recipe and get it with a twist. I definitely would not like it with olives. Yeech... I'm not a big martini drinker but this one is my go to.  Tip: If you are getting a drink to take to the theater so you can get a seat early, ask to have this in a Rocks Glass. It is vastly easier to carry without slopping it all over than a stupid Martini Glass.

Margarita: 24K Gold Margarita. Get it On The Rocks and ask for it in a Rocks Glass. The server will try to tell you "it won't be as big", etc. BS. It's the same measure of liquors but isn't in that stupid Margarita Glass. I always specify "No Salt". I don't need or want the salt on the rim.

These are my two "go to" pre-made drinks. Other than those I usually drink either Tanqueray and Tonic, Scotch straight up (I'm fond of the Talisker 10 year old but many can't handle the peat), or Bourbon straight up.

Tip: If you have the beverage package they limit you to "one drink at a time" but... If you are drinking Scotch, etc. "straight up" (or even on the rocks) they will happily pour you a double as it is pretty obvious you aren't sharing the drink with someone else.

Tip: I've read posts here where people "prime" the bartender with $20 or $50 tips right away. Bleh... Be nice to your bartender and servers but you really don't need to tip them extra to get good service. If you do feel like tipping the server or bartender don't try to "buy" them. It's insulting. $1 is not only plenty but actually more than enough. If you are nice to them and treat them like normal people they will treat you right without any extra tip at all.

Note:  We went through one fairly long cruise with only a couple of "extra" $1 tips. The next fairly long cruise I told my wife I was going to experiment and I went through approximately $100 in $1 bar tips. We had pretty much the same service on both cruises. Like I said above, it's much more about how you interact with the bartenders and servers than the tips.

Disclosure: I have actually tipped a couple of servers and bartenders at the end of the cruise. They aren't part of the "normal" tip pool. Yes, they do share in the "automagic" 18% gratuity that is added to all drinks but, at the end of the cruise, these few folks had been exceptional and gone "above and beyond" despite the fact that I hadn't been tipping all along.

I have a new take on tipping as cruises restart…I plan to tip generously with cash for every drink as I consume/receive them so that the employees have cash in hand immediately. I imagine that being out of work has left many with nothing and getting pocket money sooner than later will be helpful for them.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Forgot to mention that my wife absolutely loves the Lemon Drop Martini. It's her favorite drink when cruising.

My DW too and occasionally a Harvey Wallbanger if they have Galiano

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, beg3yrs said:

Dirty Banana. It's an adult milkshake/banana-split!

I'll second this. 

When cruising the tropics, Dirty Bananas really hit the spot when looking for something cool and refreshing.  Much better with real frozen banana, but in a pinch; banana syrup may suffice.

I enjoy Pina Coladas too - However the Pina Coladas on board the ship tend to be a little on the too sweet side.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Vic said:

I wonder if I could get a pisco sour on any Princess ship?

I don't know if you can always get one but we had no issue getting a pisco sour on our LA to Rio cruise in 2016/2017.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, beg3yrs said:

Dirty Banana. It's an adult milkshake/banana-split!

I didn't think I would like the Dirty Banana but I ordered one on the Coral last year and it was soooo yummy!  Probably a million calories!  LOL!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I don't know if you can always get one but we had no issue getting a pisco sour on our LA to Rio cruise in 2016/2017.

Good question!  Was introduced to it when we were in Chile prior to our last cruise...so good!

• Like 1