Unvaccinated Children - Antigen Test

tbjl24

Want to ensure I have all my ducks in a row for our 8/6 sailing. 

Our 2 children are not yet vaccinated....am I to understand we need to have them tested at home 48 hours prior to embarkation and then all of us will be tested again at the terminal? 

I'm just confused on the non-vaccinated guest protocol. 

Thanks in advance

"A fully vaccinated guest is considered to be someone 12 years and older and they have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days after the second dose (or 14 days after the Johnson & Johnson 1 dose vaccine) prior to the cruise. Children under 12 years old traveling with parents/guardians that are fully vaccinated will be considered a fully vaccinated guest."

The way I read this is unvaccinated children of vaccinated guests do NOT need to get the test prior to embarkation. I hope I am correct!

OP, do yourself a solid and ask MSC the question directly.  I would hate for your party to be caught short at embarkation.  I do not know the answer, but it is imperative you get this right.  No ugly surprises.

• Like 3

OP doesn't mention where they are sailing from but it's likely to be a US based cruise. The MSC Health & Safety measures page for US based sailings seems to lump children under 12 into whichever category their parents are in.  So if the parents are vaccinated the family doesn't have to buy the insurance nor get the PCR test 72 hours before arriving.  It looks like everyone will get the antigen test at the terminal.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

Until we get some embarkation reports next month Logan25 has the best suggestion.

I received clarification. My daughter is 12 so she will be required to have a PCR test within 72 hours of sailing. My son is 7 so technically he would be considered vaccinated since both myself and wife are vaccinated. 

But....to be as sure as possible we have scheduled a PCR test for all 4 of us on the Wednesday before our Friday sailing....luckily, insurance covers the cost. 

We drive down to Miami from Tampa so I'd rather not receive a surprise after making the drive. Still a chance our terminal rapid test pops but we feel this is the best we can do. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Missbollinger said:

Since I have yet to hear back from MSC, I went ahead and scheduled antigen testing for the whole family 4 Vaxed + 2 unvaxed (12 and under) on 8/3 boarding 8/6.  Making sure all our T's are crossed and all the i's are dotted!

You should be good. Antigen test will give you peace of mind before leaving home. 

• Like 1

I called MSC. If children are under 12 and parents/guardians are vaccinated then the child is considered fully vaccinated. They will not need a PCR test taken 72 hours prior to sailing. However, everyone is required to take the rapid covid test before embarkation. If a child is over 12 and unvaccinated they are required to get the PCR test regardless of parent vaccine status. Children under 12 (again with fully vaccinated parents) can also do excursions booked through websites... not only through cruise ship booked excursions. They can also get off the ships in all ports without booking an excursion at all. If you are over 12 and unvaccinated you must book cruise offered excursions. Wheww that was a mouthful right there. Just a bit of additional information: As of today both Cozumel and Costa Maya are requiring masks both indoors and outdoors. Masks must be worn at all times except while eating regardless of anyone's vaccine status.

Edited by Cheyshe
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, Missbollinger said:

Since I have yet to hear back from MSC, I went ahead and scheduled antigen testing for the whole family 4 Vaxed + 2 unvaxed (12 and under) on 8/3 boarding 8/6.  Making sure all our T's are crossed and all the i's are dotted!

MSC requires a RT-PCR (NAAT) test for any non-vaccinated passengers required to get tested 72 hours before boarding.  An antigen test is not acceptable for MSC even though that is what they do to everyone at embarkation.  So an Antigen test would only be for a little peace of mind of not testing positive at the terminal, not to meet any MSC rule.

According to the current MSC policy I think you will not need the PCR for your children since the parents are vaccinated.  If you are trying to meet the non-vaccinated requirements anyway, as a double safety precaution, you would want PCR tests.

17 minutes ago, Missbollinger said:

The tests we are scheduled for are PCR tests, they’re not the rapid tests.  

Okay, I just noticed you specifically said antigen tests in your previous post.

Not the ideal solution, but there are a couple of places around MIA that do 30 minutes RT-PCR testing with 30 minute results

https://www.covidtestingmia.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-EOg8up4Axn91cKxjp568k7Ha1marQCerDUdvzu8hJsrwM7cLiQb1RoCz6wQAvD_BwE

Miami springs

Monday to Friday 9am – 4:30 pm, sat/sun 9am – 3pm

30 Minute PCR Price is $185

https://www.bodyk.net/drive-thru-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-HNFCZpDXKMmjTtSRfP30RUy9JtiVU27_py_ayO4Fzq500K2wi98GBoCmZMQAvD_BwE

PCR Test with 30 Minute Results

$155

--

plenty of appointments for tomorrow morning

I just came from doing my 11 y/o RT-PCR test at Sawgrass Mills, but they are already closed for the day.

Edited by sixbrad

1 hour ago, FIREFIGHTERCRUISER said:

We leave tomorrow and just got a text saying this is required now for my 10 y/o. Total BS. On hold with MSC now. 

Up until yesterday he was considered fully vaccinated because everyone else was vaccinated. Now in scramble mode.

What did they? I didn’t get a test for my child that is 11 years old. I’m sure what to do as I just saw text and of course they are closed now. This is ridiculous. 

Just got a call from MSC now, they will be providing onboard credit equal to the amount paid for the PCR test of children under 11 years old, just take the receipt, they said.

He did confirm, no rt-pcr test, no entry.

Edited by sixbrad

2 we are going to give that a try Brad. Thanks for the information we will just have to plan to get to Miami about an hour or two earlier than we were anticipating. Luckily we are in Orlando so should be about a four-hour drive in the morning. Did you use the body k location? Just want to make sure where I go has the right test.

12 minutes ago, FIREFIGHTERCRUISER said:

Thanks again Brad. 

We are signed up for a 10 a.m. test in the morning. I still think it's crazy and ridiculous for them

to drop this on everyone the day before.

Agreed, according to the person that called, it was imposed on them by the CDC