Children on board

BBWC

So we got back from our walk this afternoon to see two children running down the hallway. Crystal sold this cruise to us based on 100% vaccinated 

passengers, but they lied to us. How can we trust them with anything?

From Crystal website under Crystal Clean 5.0+:

All guests 12 years or older will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. 

Crystal will accept a limited number of children under the age of 12. Bookings that include children under the age of 12 will be initially waitlisted, and those bookings will be reviewed weekly. Waitlisted bookings will be confirmed as soon as possible.

So yes, there may be children aboard. I believe the childrens clubs are closed?

I was disappointed to find this after I booked, but it is on me for not reading the T&C completely.

• Like 3

When we booked, it said 100% percent vaccination, so they went back on their promise to sell a few additional cabins. Not a way to do business, IMO.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, BBWC said:

When we booked, it said 100% percent vaccination, so they went back on their promise to sell a few additional cabins. Not a way to do business, IMO.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2786599-revised-crystal-clean-protocols-including-the-bahamas-cruise

+1. There is a discussion about the change and children in this link.  The marketing materials all stated 100% vaccinated.  

Edited by Cancun01

Don’t blame you for being upset.  First, Crystal is not a child oriented cruise line and second those children are not vaccinated and put others at risk.  Hopefully, they were tested at embarkation.  If I wanted a child friendly cruise, I would book RCCL or NCL—lots of choices out there for families! 😠

• Like 5

I can understand where you are coming from.  Crystal has revised it's policy almost monthly, and keeping up with those changes is no easy task.  It's natural to remember the first version, and not pick up on changes made along the way.  Crystal hasn't made it easy to detect those changes (along the lines of dual vertical columns, with old wording on the left, revised wording on the right, for example).

So if you were under the impression that ALL passengers would be vaccinated, read post #10 on this thread.  It refers to the February version of Crystal Clean.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2772346-crystal-to-require-vaccinations/?tab=comments#comment-60801454

It you use Wayback to access early versions of the FAQs, you will find:
"...at this time, we are unable to accommodate any guest who cannot be vaccinated"

https://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/files/crystal-covid19-vaccine-requirements-faqs.pdf

The policy is fluid and flexible (as a policy should be), and is updated as more scientific information comes available.  I doubt you can argue effectively that they were lying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every cruise line's guidance has changed at some point in the last six weeks. The most serious one, IMHO, is the one that said that you had to be fully vaccinated with a CDC "approved vaccine" that suddenly became "you can't mix AZ with mRNA vaccines". I think anyone who got caught by this recent change could argue the cruise line "lied" to them when they booked. And shall we discuss RCI's "fully vaccinated" changing to 95% "fully vaccinated" in order to comply with the Governor of Florida's edict??

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Well I know we booked based on everyone being vaccinated. Children under 12 cannot be vaccinated! What next? Are they going to make vaccination only a "suggestion"?

Frankly, I feel betrayed by Crystal if this is their new policy.

Edited by AtA

5 hours ago, Roel94 said:

Children are not allowed by law to be vax. Get over it 

NO we won't get over it because we booked with the understanding that the only people allowed onboard were VACCINATED. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

This is on Crystals website - dated 30 June - definitely allows for Children Under 12 to sail without vaccination 

F44F1F5D-D241-4399-8D73-063BA4CB5747.thumb.jpeg.b744becba6adcff82599ef3bcbd19a1f.jpeg

Yes on their website. Not something most of us read after their initial posts that everyone would be vaccinated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Every cruise line's guidance has changed at some point in the last six weeks. The most serious one, IMHO, is the one that said that you had to be fully vaccinated with a CDC "approved vaccine" that suddenly became "you can't mix AZ with mRNA vaccines". I think anyone who got caught by this recent change could argue the cruise line "lied" to them when they booked. And shall we discuss RCI's "fully vaccinated" changing to 95% "fully vaccinated" in order to comply with the Governor of Florida's edict??

Unless something has changed very recently, AZ has not been approved for use in the United States by the CDC/FDA. Therefore if your first dose is AZ and your second dose is Moderna/Pfizer you are not  “fully” vaccinated by a “ CDC approved” vaccine.   No change...just a clarification. AZ was never acceptable under those policies.

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AtA said:

NO we won't get over it because we booked with the understanding that the only people allowed onboard were VACCINATED. 

Sorry children can not be vax. If crystal refused children on their ships there would be a lawsuit so fast. So you are wrong and need to get over it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtA said:

Yes on their website. Not something most of us read after their initial posts that everyone would be vaccinated.

I didn’t like the change when it happened, BUT it’s not like Crystal tried to hide it.  They literally have us expressly approve a clause that we acknowledge we’ve read those rules, understand they will have to change frequently, and will keep monitoring them for changes when we enter the PCPC when we first book.  

If we don’t do that, that’s on us, not them.

1 hour ago, Roel94 said:

Sorry children can not be vax. If crystal refused children on their ships there would be a lawsuit so fast. So you are wrong and need to get over it.

I don’t know Crystal’s complete reason for the change, but I have a client that had to adopt a similar policy at the same time, and this was at the root of the change.  The client either had to requalify their event to adults-only (which is also problematic) or limit the number of children due to being unvaccinated as those two options were cleaner legally.  It wasn’t that the position of banning children under 12 because they couldn’t be vaccinated was illegal exactly, it’s just that no one at the organization wanted to invest the millions to fight it out in court when they received pushback, and limiting children was more manageable.

Personally I’d have been fine if Crystal reclassified themselves as adults-only given how few children they ever sail anyway, but that has damaging knock-on effects for the brand even after they reverse the policy in the future…. Longer than the few people that get mad about unvaccinated kids.

Vince

It is interesting how people react to children on board. In a cruise I took at the end of February this year, I was feeling a bit frustrated after reading some disappointing news of what was going in the countries that interested me. An then I saw this small girl walking on board. She made my day 😍.

Ivi

F4ABDCC9-DAB1-4261-B420-4FB120DAD07C.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roel94 said:

If crystal refused children on their ships there would be a lawsuit so fast

Why would there be a law suit? Viking Ocean is one example of a cruise line that has a No Children policy and I believe there are others 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Why would there be a law suit? Viking Ocean is one example of a cruise line that has a No Children policy and I believe there are others 

Virgin Voyages Cruises, Saga Cruises, some P&O ships 

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think in the end that’s why there wouldn’t be much success with the suits because the cruise line can create a different policy that bans children, but the issue with allowing children but not accepting them because they’re unvaccinated is that it’s not the same thing.  

In the US we have a legal tradition of, “Of course we accept you, but oh darn, you don’t meet this impossible new criteria, I’m sorry.”  This is a little different than that, but accepting children but requiring something that’s impossible to receive smells just close enough to that to not keep people from suing in the first place.

Thats where it’s cleaner for the cruise line just to ban children altogether (small lasting brand damage), or limiting them (CDC-defined risk mitigation).

Vince

7 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

Unless something has changed very recently, AZ has not been approved for use in the United States by the CDC/FDA. Therefore if your first dose is AZ and your second dose is Moderna/Pfizer you are not  “fully” vaccinated by a “ CDC approved” vaccine.   No change...just a clarification. AZ was never acceptable under those policies.

Sorry, I misspoke. The original guidance said no mixing of any type of vaccine, so a Pfizer/Moderna combination was not permitted, and we do that here in Canada. A couple of days later, they qualified the guidance to AZ and mRNA, but it was still touch and go for those two days for those already booked. My point is before anyone starts throwing around statements like "Crystal lied",  the rules are going to be changing, and as Vince pointed out above, you have to agree to that up front.

So does this mean that since children can't be vaccinated, does Crystal now decide that it's not important for all the other guests to be vaccinated? What if someone sues saying I want to cruise but won't be vaccinated and you have to let me cruise since your rules show that children who are unvaccinated can cruise on your ships.

• Like 2

I am on this cruise. BBWC is 100% correct. Crystal sold a cruise where only vaccinated people would be allowed on the ship. Then on June 30th they appeared to quietly change the rules to allow children who are too young to be vaccinated. But only on the Serenity, not on the Endeavor, so the changes are inconsistent.

The point is not that the children are too young to be vaccinated. The point is that Crystal indicated everyone on the ship would be vaccinated and changed its mind at the last minute without telling anyone!

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Crystal has changed another rule without giving passengers advance notice. I remember reading on here that if you were in a suite you could dine more than once each in Prego and Umi Uma without an additional charge. Now, they are saying an additional charge applies to all additional reservations in these two restaurants.

Tom.

• Thanks 1