Children on board

BBWC

Well something happened relatively quickly. Shortly after my last post my butler showed up at the door with a beautiful box of chocolates and an apology over the misunderstanding about the additional dining charge policy. Now he and the hotel manger are both in agreement that the policy is as we understood it, no additional charges for PH and above. 

Tom. 

7383352D-7AB1-426C-9CEB-B03F5A41EA7C.jpeg

• Like 8

This thread has gone from children on board to multiple times dining at Prego and Umi Uma.  What a transition.

On 7/10 my butler was able to get me extra nights in both and at no extra charge.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gwesq said:

WHAT!!!!  Charging Suite passengers now for Prego & UmiUma after the 1st visit?   That is one of the major perks they advertise and we love as a reason for a suite, and now they change that?

OMG....I never realized that a major reason someone would pay thousands more for a penthouse would be that they could then save $60 on a visit to Prego.

Musta missed that in my Econ 101 classes.  Thanks for the tip!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Who told you that?

There are no additional charges for suite passengers.

We just got off the ship in a PHS!

Plus you can order from those restaurants in your suite if you desire.

I  think you have misinformation.

Just now, bitob said:

Who told you that?

I think you didn't read the whole thread.  😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bitob said:

Who told you that?

See post #51 by giustot

Edited by BEAV

I totally agree with you. We just got off the ship on the 24th after a BTB and there were no children on board. If there had been I would also be really mad as I took this cruise based on everyone having to be fully vaccinated. That means children are not allowed on the cruise. This is a bait and switch and really not right. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Who told you that?

My butler, the hotel manager Hubert, and the policy statement in Reflections. Then,   they changed their minds. 

20 hours ago, AtA said:

NO we won't get over it because we booked with the understanding that the only people allowed onboard were VACCINATED. 

Actually when you booked the crew was not 100% guaranteed to be vaccinated. So, when you are at home you don’t go to the grocery store. Come on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gwesq said:

WHAT!!!!  Charging Suite passengers now for Prego & UmiUma after the 1st visit?   That is one of the major perks they advertise and we love as a reason for a suite, and now they change that?  Is that shown somewhere on Crystal's website?  I looked on the PCPC site under dining and there is no mention of a charge - merely says to contact the Mgr for reservations.   

And with respect to nonvaccinated children onboard, as of TODAY, here is what is shown on Crystal's site:  

"For all voyages on all ships, guests will be required to be fully inoculated at least 14 days prior to departure date with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer). Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. "

So as of today, how are they allowing children who have not received the vaccine onboard?

Lawsuit for denying children? Not a chance - many ships are adults only - no basis for such a suit.

Here is the photo I took when I upgraded  (onboard) last week. This was a document the concierge showed me when I was deciding to upgrade.

C147B7BC-7DC6-4C7A-9F85-CF8A4FF01FB1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Actually when you booked the crew was not 100% guaranteed to be vaccinated. So, when you are at home you don’t go to the grocery store. Come on.

When I go to the grocery store or anywhere indoors here, I wear a mask. However when I'm with people who I know are vaccinated, I remove my mask.

As for the crew, if they hadn't been vaccinated, they were going to be quarantined for an appropriate number of days and all crew are wearing masks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Here is the photo I took when I upgraded  (onboard) last week. This was a document the concierge showed me when I was deciding to upgrade.

Yes this is now a non issue and was a misunderstanding.

• Like 1

Extra charges confirmed by butler and hotel manager?  That's impossible to believe.

I was just on the ship for 2 weeks in a PHS

There was NO extra charge for extra reservations

Something is clearly wrong with this picture

Well it is Sunday night and I said, let's look at CruiseCritic.com.  I read every single post.  First, Tom.  Not everyone would have come back online and corrected their post.  To you, you did the right thing, thank you.  

As it relates to children on board.  I wrote an Op-Ed on the NCL Haven and mentioned children taking over the Haven Courtyard by parents that were not supervising their children.  The comments for that one statement were so harsh it kind of made me upset. This is a completely separate thing however it is still about children.

If you read my posts, I tend to attempt to be very positive.  It is very important to see all points of view.  Some of you know that I had to cancel my July 31 Serenity cruise due to my wife getting Covid-19 8-days prior to the sailing.  Before you ask, she is doing well.  This virus hits a certain intensity and hangs there much longer then a normal flu.  We were extremely careful and even said, "lets not take any risks prior to our cruise."  But she got it anyway.

The Parents of these children have every right to have their children onboard based on the current Crystal Policy.  Folks and I mean no disrespect to those parents, their children or to Crystal Cruises.  Without being obvious or hateful, if I was cruising with you knowing what I know now, I would simple stay away from kids.  Remember, they don't get it so don't be mean.  This darn virus is a bear.  That being said. That is a big ship and those are just two kids.  That should not be a problem. Definitely not ideal.

So no one thinks I missed the point.  My perception was Fully Vaccinated also.  I was about to rebook my cancelled cruise for August 21, 2021.  I am thinking twice now.  I don't think anyone could blame me for that feeling, nor do I blame any of your for your concern.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Well it is Sunday night and I said, let's look at CruiseCritic.com.  I read every single post.  First, Tom.  Not everyone would have come back online and corrected their post.  To you, you did the right thing, thank you.  

As it relates to children on board.  I wrote an Op-Ed on the NCL Haven and mentioned children taking over the Haven Courtyard by parents that were not supervising their children.  The comments for that one statement were so harsh it kind of made me upset. This is a completely separate thing however it is still about children.

If you read my posts, I tend to attempt to be very positive.  It is very important to see all points of view.  Some of you know that I had to cancel my July 31 Serenity cruise due to my wife getting Covid-19 8-days prior to the sailing.  Before you ask, she is doing well.  This virus hits a certain intensity and hangs there much longer then a normal flu.  We were extremely careful and even said, "lets not take any risks prior to our cruise."  But she got it anyway.

The Parents of these children have every right to have their children onboard based on the current Crystal Policy.  Folks and I mean no disrespect to those parents, their children or to Crystal Cruises.  Without being obvious or hateful, if I was cruising with you knowing what I know now, I would simple stay away from kids.  Remember, they don't get it so don't be mean.  This darn virus is a bear.  That being said. That is a big ship and those are just two kids.  That should not be a problem. Definitely not ideal.

So no one thinks I missed the point.  My perception was Fully Vaccinated also.  I was about to rebook my cancelled cruise for August 21, 2021.  I am thinking twice now.  I don't think anyone could blame me for that feeling, nor do I blame any of your for your concern.

I will let you make you own decision re:kids.

please see my post about c19 positive tests results. NO ONE want this. I will not travel again Internationally until the IS waives this requirement. Our citizens are being held captive, literally, when they are vaccinated and pose no risk.

14 minutes ago, bitob said:

Extra charges confirmed by butler and hotel manager?  That's impossible to believe.

Read #51.  Tom corrected himself.  

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I'm with you.

I booked based on fully vaccinated and on June 30th they changed to allow unvaccinated children.

I knew the first cruises would not be 100% crew vaccinated so chose to go in September when I knew the crew would be vaccinated.

We will simply avoid any children. Probably not a huge issue in September.

But---another big disappointment with Crystal. Just as reading that the tenders and the transfers are not  as safe as they advertise.

17 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

I will let you make you own decision re:kids.

please see my post about c19 positive tests results. NO ONE want this. I will not travel again Internationally until the IS waives this requirement. Our citizens are being held captive, literally, when they are vaccinated and pose no risk.

Um--how does someone with COVID pose no risk?

Are you suggesting that US airlines allow COVID positive passengers to fly?

Do you think that a vaccinated person who is COVID positive is somehow different than a non-vaccinated COVID positive person?

I am not trying to argue--I simply don't understand what you are saying.

10 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I'm with you.

I booked based on fully vaccinated and on June 30th they changed to allow unvaccinated children.

I knew the first cruises would not be 100% crew vaccinated so chose to go in September when I knew the crew would be vaccinated.

We will simply avoid any children. Probably not a huge issue in September.

But---another big disappointment with Crystal. Just as reading that the tenders and the transfers are not  as safe as they advertise.

I didn’t love the children’s policy when they revised it months ago, but I do have a hard time blaming Crystal for passengers that refuse to sit in the indicated seats in the tenders when they’re unsupervised .  People are going to sit where they want to sit, considering 95% of the journey is unsupervised.  There is nothing the crew can do to keep people from shifting into those seats.  I haven’t seen anyone here follow the floor guides in stores since the pandemic started, and it’s kind of the same deal.  Stores can provide the markings on where to stand, but that doesn’t ensure compliance from customers…. And I haven’t seen one single store here lift a finger to enforce it.

Vince

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I didn’t love the children’s policy when they revised it months ago, but I do have a hard time blaming Crystal for passengers that refuse to sit in the indicated seats in the tenders when they’re unsupervised .  People are going to sit where they want to sit, considering 95% of the journey is unsupervised.  There is nothing the crew can do to keep people from shifting into those seats.  I haven’t seen anyone here follow the floor guides in stores since the pandemic started, and it’s kind of the same deal.  Stores can provide the markings on where to stand, but that doesn’t ensure compliance from customers…. And I haven’t seen one single store here lift a finger to enforce it.

Vince

Very true. But my interpretation of the Crystal verbiage was that the tenders would be at reduced capacity to allow distancing, as well as the transfers. 

I will adjust accordingly. But just as I have seen at upscale resorts--what they promise and what is delivered is different. And a huge part of it is that they cannot risk upsetting and correcting their guests.

And I will say--in my region, stores absolutely enforced distancing as did restaurants. I think this varies area to area.

47 minutes ago, bitob said:

Bitbob, it has been my job for more than 40 years to understand what people say. I know what the butler said to me personally, what the hotel director said to me personally, and what was written in Reflections. When I asked them to double check what they were saying, they reverted to the original policy and apologized to me. 

• Like 3

Just to help you a bit. My butler, new to Crystal said the same. I showed him my photo and he Apologized profusely. Unnecessary but understood, these folks are coming up to speed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, giustot said:

Well something happened relatively quickly. Shortly after my last post my butler showed up at the door with a beautiful box of chocolates and an apology over the misunderstanding about the additional dining charge policy. Now he and the hotel manger are both in agreement that the policy is as we understood it, no additional charges for PH and above. 

Tom. 

It is my distinct pleasure to be able to quote this post. Both b/c I’m relieved that the policy hasn’t changed, and b/c I absolutely adore these chocolates.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, giustot said:

Tom. 

Ok, this has nothing to do with the discussion at all, but I'll just throw it out to start another rabbit hole and get us off topic. I've had this exact box of computer-matrix-topped dark chocolates in the PH before, as I'm sure many of you have. I don't  remember the reason, but I know it was benign, not based on any controversy. I do truly love Crystal on so many culinary levels, but these bitter, stale candies were not at the top of my remembrance list. And I realize I'm probably in the minority here.  LOL!

Edited by Cruise-y

1 minute ago, Cruise-y said:

Ok, this has nothing to do with the discussion at all, but I'll just throw it out to start another rabbit hole and get us off topic. I've had this exact box of computer-matrix-topped dark chocolates in the PH before, as I'm sure many of you have. I don't  remember the reason, but I know it was benign, not based on any controversy. I do truly love Crystal on so many culinary levels, but these bitter, stale candies were not at the top of my remembrance list.

You and I have distinctly different candy palates.

• Haha 1