Porthole with Veranda Room in aft of Apex

I'm a little confused about this stateroom. Does it only have a porthole window in the aft of the ship, or can you open a door and sit on the Veranda? Has anyone stayed in these rooms? If so, please explain in detail. Thanks so much!

ChaChing!

Here it is in detail.  My photo is from one of the forward staterooms, the aft ones are the same.  Just as in a standard veranda state room, there is a sliding glass door and blackout curtains.  You have a small balcony.  The design is sometimes called a “cove balcony” or a “hull balcony”.

75488906-6BEC-48CB-852D-CC5B5B0B56DD.jpeg

0FBF6CE0-D2DF-43C8-A21A-85D888981143.jpeg

E4FA9C98-C36F-45CA-9183-ED9D88DE5D75.jpeg

05CD98D4-C3EC-48E1-8DCD-7F5526AB7A8B.jpeg

9F818B55-5378-423C-A321-C043AEDCFE64.jpeg

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Here it is in detail.  My photo is from one of the forward staterooms, the aft ones are the same.  Just as in a standard veranda state room, there is a sliding glass door and blackout curtains.  You have a small balcony.  The design is sometimes called a “cove balcony” or a “hull balcony”.

How would you rank it compared to a standard S class veranda?  I am looking at booking one as I think I would enjoy it more than the IV.

Posted (edited)

We recently switched from an IV balcony cabin on our Nov Apex cruise to POV 9303 (port side). Then a sunset veranda became available and we switched to that one for obvious reasons. We picked 9303 because it was higher up and according to our X PVP it didn't have a window washing contraption parked next to the port hole like it appeared 9304 had on the starboard side. Also, the ones on deck 7 appeared to have their "downward" view somewhat obstructed by the Eden windows on the deck below.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

How would you rank it compared to a standard S class veranda?  I am looking at booking one as I think I would enjoy it more than the IV.

The S class Verandah size is 54 sq feet and the Porthole Verandah is 40 sq feet. It looks tight on the Porthole, you wouldn’t be able to move around much.

• Like 1

I didn’t like the IV on the Edge so I was looking at the Porthole Verandah as well but after checking out the size I will look at the aft Verandah if I go again. Otherwise we’ll stick to the S class and M class.

13 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

The S class Verandah size is 54 sq feet and the Porthole Verandah is 40 sq feet. It looks tight on the Porthole, you wouldn’t be able to move around much.

It is a smaller verandah, but still nice for sitting out there.  A bit of tetris is required with two out there. LOL! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We recently switched from an IV balcony cabin on our Nov Apex cruise to POV 9303 (port side). Then a sunset veranda became available and we switched to that one for obvious reasons. We picked 9303 because it was higher up and according to our X PVP it didn't have a window washing contraption parked next to the port hole like it appeared 9304 had on the starboard side. Also, the ones on deck 7 appeared to have their "downward" view somewhat obstructed by the Eden windows on the deck below.

Now we are looking at the Sunset Veranda.

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

It also looks like one side or the other.  The Sunset Verandahs are in the back I would suppose with a better view.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Don't wait too long. They go pretty quick as you might imagine. 😎

We booked a Christmas 2022 cruise.  About 70% of them are already booked.  The ones on each end with the larger balconies are all booked.  Anyways mine is booked.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We booked a Christmas 2022 cruise.  About 70% of them are already booked.  The ones on each end with the larger balconies are all booked.  Anyways mine is booked.

The aft facing cabins, regardless of cruise line, have always been our favorite. If nothing else, less windy when the ship is moving, and depending on direction, you may even get some shade if the balcony is not fully covered. Then, there are the very cool views when you're leaving a port. Then, if you're going through the Panama Canal, going through the locks is amazing. But, the most important thing of all, don't tell anybody about them! 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, cruisestitch said:

It looks like an oval Infinite Veranda with the top portion of the window permanently down?

(As opposed to a regular Infinite Veranda, which is a rectangular window that you can open and close the top portion.)

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

It looks like an oval Infinite Veranda with the top portion of the window permanently down?

(As opposed to a regular Infinite Veranda, which is a rectangular window that you can open and close the top portion.)

There is no up or down window part.  It is a regular balcony that has an oval opening enclosure.  I was able to tour a few cabin types.  I now understand the siren call of the Sky Suite.  😍

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Not really.  What is different is that it has a sliding glass door leading you outside.  You can sit outside and it does not affect the air conditioning in the room.  With the IV there is no “outside”.  When you open the window, the room A/C goes off.

picture the situation where one roommate wants to get up early and enjoy coffee on the verandah while the other roommate wants to sleep in cool darkness.  That can’t be done in the IV, where raising the motorized shade and opening the window floods the room in light and turns off the A/C

also keep in mind that there are times when the IV window is inoperable—the bridge disabled them.  That never happens when you have the sliding glass door leading to the open air.

• Like 1

Has anyone established for certain, one way or the other, that the adjacent verandahs in these porthole veranda staterooms can be opened up to each other?  This is such a great feature of S class verandahs and of course is impossible with IV.  

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Has anyone established for certain, one way or the other, that the adjacent verandahs in these porthole veranda staterooms can be opened up to each other?  This is such a great feature of S class verandahs and of course is impossible with IV.  

I sailed in 8304, and there was a regular veranda door that could open to the next porthole veranda.  I should've taken a pic of that.   

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The aft facing cabins, regardless of cruise line, have always been our favorite. If nothing else, less windy when the ship is moving, and depending on direction, you may even get some shade if the balcony is not fully covered. Then, there are the very cool views when you're leaving a port. Then, if you're going through the Panama Canal, going through the locks is amazing. But, the most important thing of all, don't tell anybody about them! 😎

What about the corner aft facing cabins?  Do they give you a view of the side of the ship and the back?  Are they bigger?  Are they better?  How do you get one if they are booked up?  Check once a day, once a week?  Is there a wait list?

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What about the corner aft facing cabins?  Do they give you a view of the side of the ship and the back?  Are they bigger?  Are they better?  How do you get one if they are booked up?  Check once a day, once a week?  Is there a wait list?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are S1 sky suites. But the side views don't appear to be as good as those on the S Class ships.

Apex_AerialAftDay_LOW.jpg

• Like 1