Can you drop your bag off in the cabin before they are ready?

I'm not talking about loitering around in there but just swinging by to drop the bag real quickly.  I thought I recalled seeing conflicting information on that.  In addition, I don't want to get in the way of the stewards but once again, I'm talking in and out real quickly so I don't have to lug my backpack around while I get some food and drinks.

32 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I'm not talking about loitering around in there but just swinging by to drop the bag real quickly.  I thought I recalled seeing conflicting information on that.  In addition, I don't want to get in the way of the stewards but once again, I'm talking in and out real quickly so I don't have to lug my backpack around while I get some food and drinks.

We have done this and locked our door as we left. Sometimes the cabin doors are open when we were early boarding as they are still cleaning. 
On Celebrity ships they had hall doors locked so we could not go to cabin until they made announcement 

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Unless you are very early to board cabins are usually ready, but who knows now with Covid 

Agree…even being two of the first to board, our cabins have always been ready on Princess. Who knows what post Covid cruising may bring?

Absolutely! I'm always one of the very first board and my cabin has always been ready except for the exception of maybe one or two times out of like 80 cruises I've taken on princess.

I have always just taking my own luggage on board as I pack extremely light with just a carry on size piece of luggage and I have just swung by the cabin to quickly drop off my luggage as I just place it quietly in the closet and let the finish completing my room. One of the huge reasons I keep coming back to princess is because the crew member are exceptionally kind and so sweet. Cabin Stewards are amazing. 😉

• Like 1

Being elite in the past we were one of the first to board. Almost always were able to go directly to the cabin, almost always the cabin was ready. I have heard that it was not the same on all Princess ships, specifically the Regal. Think it depended on the hotel manager on each ship. Now, who knows? Guess we will find out as ships begin sailing. 

• Like 1

on more than one occasion we were not allowed to do so.....the most recent was on the Crown in the Med in 2019, and they were doing a deep clean of the ship because of Noro. All fire doors were closed to cabins, and everyone had to stay in public areas.

• Like 1

I've always done it, never had an issue, when cabin isn't ready (usually they are).  I find the waiting until all cabins are done (Royal, for instance) to be a somewhat annoying way to start a cruise.

There will always be exceptions to the what we have known as the norm.  Generally, if you are one of the first to board the ship you will find that most of the cabins are made up but might be missing some of the last minute items like setups and maybe the welcoming paperwork.

If you are just carrying a backpack and your main luggage was checked in at the dock, you might want to just take that with you since it probably has more important items in it.

On my last cruise on the Regal in 2019 we were not able to drop off our luggage or get to our room till after one.  There was some type of maintenance issue on Dolphin deck.   The elevators wouldn't even stop on the floor.  Never had a problem on all my other cruises with Princess but doubt anyone knows what the requirements will be now.   Especially with deep cleaning between cruise.

Posted (edited)

We usually just find the MDR that's open for lunch and have a nice lunch. The only carry on we have is my backpack, and I don't care how much I lug that thing around. Cabin has always been ready when we've finished lunch.

Edited by Sea Hag
typo

We have always dropped our luggage in the cabin before going to lunch in the past. If the steward was still cleaning the room we let him finish & leave. 

Depends.  When the Ruby was doing the Alaska cruise round trip out of the Seattle in the summer of 2018, they were not allowing (entrance doors to cabin hallways were alarmed) anyone into cabins until around 1 pm.   There was some discussion here about that and we experienced it first hand. 

4 hours ago, Grego said:

There will always be exceptions to the what we have known as the norm.  Generally, if you are one of the first to board the ship you will find that most of the cabins are made up but might be missing some of the last minute items like setups and maybe the welcoming paperwork.

Princess changed this in like 2018, 2019 ... at least for sailings from ft. lauderdale.

They started letting people board as early as 11:00, but the hall doors were closed, and the cabins

were not available until 13:00.

Post pandemic, who knows...

• Like 1

I have experienced it both ways where the decks were available and other times where the doors were locked and crew operated the elevators only to Lido deck.

If your carry on bag has medications, cash, ID (passport, DL etc..) or anything else you don't want to lose, I suggest lugging it around with you.  Given the number of times door decorations get stolen from cabin doors you can bet there are thieves onboard each sailing.  I won't let my carry on out of my sight until I can lock it in the cabin.  If you can get to your unlocked cabin early, so can anybody else.  

• Like 4

Going or not going to the cabin before Princess officially announces cabin readiness involves a level of respect for the hard-working cabin attendants.  They shouldn't have to side-step pax to get their work done. 

Further, isn't there the 15-minute policy?  They won't do routine daily cabin cleaning til guests have been gone from their cabin  for that long.  Would that delay also apply if the attendant knows you've entered?

I've been on cruises where temporary luggage storage is available somewhere on deck 7.  You get a chit and use it to reclaim your bag(s) when cabins are open to guests.  I like to have a lovely lunch in the main DR, so just roll my bag with me, since it's got meds, etc.  By then, cabins are usually ready.

I should clarify my post, when I said Royal, I meant RCI, the cruise line.  We had to wait until after 1 p.m. and everywhere I looked, could not find a place to sit.  I've never inconvenienced a room steward by putting my bag in a corner of the closet.  

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Princess changed this in like 2018, 2019 ... at least for sailings from ft. lauderdale.

They started letting people board as early as 11:00, but the hall doors were closed, and the cabins

were not available until 13:00.

We always boarded early in FLL, and if the cabins weren't available, we simply used the aft elevators to go to our deck, and drop off our carry-on bags. On our last sailing the steward was still servicing our cabin, we said a quick hello and tossed our bags onto the floor of the closet and headed off to lunch.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Depends.  When the Ruby was doing the Alaska cruise round trip out of the Seattle in the summer of 2018, they were not allowing (entrance doors to cabin hallways were alarmed) anyone into cabins until around 1 pm.   There was some discussion here about that and we experienced it first hand. 

That was peculiar to the Ruby. We had the same experience out of San Pedro. Not once, but twice.🤬

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We always boarded early in FLL, and if the cabins weren't available, we simply used the aft elevators to go to our deck, and drop off our carry-on bags. On our last sailing the steward was still servicing our cabin, we said a quick hello and tossed our bags onto the floor of the closet and headed off to lunch.

There were plenty of posts here by people who were blocked from going to their cabin.

Some even in this thread.

Even more likely to occur with extra covid-cleaning.

Are you asserting that because you managed to, everyone else will as well?

Edited by Roberto256

I'm going to play devil's advocate.

We all want to start our cruise in an immaculately clean cabin, pristine bathroom etc.

Yet the cabin stewards have only a few hours to properly clean multiple cabins - if something is not correct, someone will complain,  and the steward will be punished. 

How difficult is it to sit in a bar, with a drink in your hand,  and wait for an hour or so. After all, you are on holiday, so why the rush to get rid of your small bag?

Personally,  I think cabins should be unavailable until 14:00 at the earliest. That way, the stewards will not be under any time pressure,  and can do a thorough job. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

I've been on cruises where temporary luggage storage is available somewhere on deck 7.  You get a chit and use it to reclaim your bag(s) when cabins are open to guests.  I like to have a lovely lunch in the main DR, so just roll my bag with me, since it's got meds, etc.  By then, cabins are usually ready.

I had forgotten that there is usually a secure drop off area for carry-ons. I guess it's been a while since I've been on a ship.  🙄

9 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Are you asserting that because you managed to, everyone else will as well?

I'm not asserting anything of the kind, just stating a fact.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate.

We all want to start our cruise in an immaculately clean cabin, pristine bathroom etc.

Yet the cabin stewards have only a few hours to properly clean multiple cabins - if something is not correct, someone will complain,  and the steward will be punished. 

How difficult is it to sit in a bar, with a drink in your hand,  and wait for an hour or so. After all, you are on holiday, so why the rush to get rid of your small bag?

Personally,  I think cabins should be unavailable until 14:00 at the earliest. That way, the stewards will not be under any time pressure,  and can do a thorough job. 

Believe me, if someone tells me that I can't go to our cabin because of Covid sterilization, I'll be more than happy to comply.

Turnaround days are certainly busy, but stewards deal with passengers walking through hallways all day, every day.  From what we've seen in the past, the percentage of cabins still needing work once boarding starts, has been very low. We don't stop to chat with our steward, we say hi and drop off our bags. Covid is the curve-ball, and can change everything, but with time being the most valuable asset on turnaround day, I believe they've got it down to using foggers and ultraviolet light. Quick & simple.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Turnaround days are certainly busy, but stewards deal with passengers walking through hallways all day, every day.  From what we've seen in the past, the percentage of cabins still needing work once boarding starts, has been very low. We don't stop to chat with our steward, we say hi and drop off our bags. Covid is the curve-ball, and can change everything, but with time being the most valuable asset on turnaround day, I believe they've got it down to using foggers and ultraviolet light. Quick & simple.

Stewards "employ" off duty waiters to help them get the cabins ready,  paying them from their tips.

Thats why you see the cabins all ready for you !

Why the need to drop off your bags? Let the stewards do their job, and keep your bags with you  for for an hour or two.     

• Like 1