The Daily for Sunday July 25, 2021

richwmn

Today is Culinarians Day, National Chili Dog Day, and Parent's Day

"You gotta find your best self and when you do, you gotta hold on to it for dear life -- Cheryl Strayed"

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork

Drink of the Day - Noble-Rita

Wine of the day - Backsberg Pumphouse Shiraz - South Africa - Red

Destination of the Day - Cruising Panama Canal and Gatun Lake

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Juneau eta 7/26
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0725PNW.thumb.png.a117f6e0f8d6b2cbb16ca498ad602c77.png

0725USA.thumb.png.bca62820639768fb21bac6cd9049045e.png

0725Europe.thumb.png.d7b77b34a32064761e9d5105ea9cae51.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thank you to the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Chili Dog but salute Culinarians and especially parents (Mom died just over 20 years ago). I love the Cheryl Stayed quote.  Gatun Lake and the Panama Canal are great.  Mostly with Crystal but the last time was on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Chilled Anjou Pear Soup and Penne Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast, my first ever dinner on the Elegant Explorer, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam at sea with guests
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dismomx5 on Grandma Duty
wandb’s sister doing well
Aliaschief booked August 7
One week countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Quartzite cruiser visit from DD
Cruising Along’s cousin’a transplanted kidney working
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Pain relief for Summer Slope’s shingles
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Lots of rain here yesterday, about 50mm (2 inches), but today should be warm and sunny.🙂

Not a fan of chili dogs and a big salute to Culinarians.  Also, a round of applause for parents.

Good quote.

I don't have an instant pot, but I made pulled pork in the slow cooker a couple of weeks ago.

Hope the drink of the day and the wine are good.

We did a partial transit of the Panama Canal and visited Gatun Lake many years ago, I don't know if I can find photos to share.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Yesterday was a beautiful day here and I was able to get a lot of yard work done.  Then it turned into a fun day watching the Nieuw Amsterdam take on passengers and sail away.  I’m beginning to believe that we will set sail on Saturday. 
Todays meal suggestion sounds good, I like a good BBQ anything.  We’ve been to today’s destination and hope to be there again in March.

I hope that everyone has a good day and that those on the NA are having a fantastic cruise.

• Like 27

Good morning Rich:   Thank you for the DAILY Fleet update.  It was good to look on your map and see the Nieuw Amsterdam on the outside sailing along the West Coast of Vancouver Island.  Tis a sight for sore eyes.  I like your meal suggestion,   

• Like 17

Good morning, everyone!   

It is a cloudy day here with temps forecast for the mid 80s.  Nothing planned for today, so it will be kick back and enjoy.

Great days to celebrate and I do like chili dogs.  Haven't had one in decades, but I remember the ones we used to get as kids.  The people across the street owned a hot dog stand and the chili sauce was a secret recipe.  Mrs. Hop used to make it at home and take it down to the hot dog stand.  Anyone who was there when she went was invited along and she got chili dogs for all of us!

Today's meal sounds great.   There is a lot of sugar in BBQ sauce, so I tend to avoid it.   https://damndelicious.net/2020/08/08/instant-pot-bbq-pulled-pork/

Instant-Pot-BBQ-Pulled-PorkIMG_0638.thumb.jpg.4357afb33016e900c78fae735db4e2d5.jpg

Instant-Pot-BBQ-Pulled-PorkIMG_0659.thumb.jpg.a84e80e0ef30a56b612268a031dfc380.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you to the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Chili Dog but salute Culinarians and especially parents (Mom died just over 20 years ago). I love the Cheryl Stayed quote.  Gatun Lake and the Panama Canal are great.  Mostly with Crystal but the last time was on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Chilled Anjou Pear Soup and Penne Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast, my first ever dinner on the Elegant Explorer, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam at sea with guests
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dismomx5 on Grandma Duty
wandb’s sister doing well
Aliaschief booked August 7
One week countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Quartzite cruiser visit from DD
Cruising Along’s cousin’a transplanted kidney working
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Pain relief for Summer Slope’s shingles
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:   Thank you for the care and shout out lists.  It is so thoughtful  of you!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Parents are certainly worthy of celebrating and I miss mine dearly 😔.   Love Culinarians Day.  Wish I was on a BHB to thank the chef but alas, right now, the only chef I have to thank is myself 😉 DH gave me this magnet a long time ago.  Do you think he was trying to tell me something 😉 

6EE46700-8225-4B6D-92FD-A5E668440F0B.thumb.jpeg.2d5e2c1a070eb0b0c2dd80b8ee2fffcc.jpeg

Getting tired of playing chef - one of these days I’m going to follow this idea 😉 

9D6300C4-A907-4BA4-8D24-B248F7D23AB2.jpeg.f58813c68f0cfac34fcc5b4904f00465.jpeg

Love that quoted by Strayed.

The meal sounds good but no pork to make it with in the fridge/freezer.  Another day, I guess.  What we have will depend on how hot it is today

Enjoying Lisa’s LIVE thread but it makes me miss cruising 😔 

B6EECE68-77A4-49AC-9649-653B2C007621.thumb.jpeg.8d832ed3023015c8b5559d475bcaf7cb.jpeg

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!!

EF37E982-817B-4874-A1CA-BA44714B2FF3.jpeg.81d55c360088affd20dbf1f53cfe1c8c.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

Good  morning  to  all. We  have  a  rainy  day  here with  cooler  temperatures. Thanks  for  the  Daily,Rich and  thank  you Roy @rafinmd, for  both  lists. The  family  is  appreciative  of  the  good  wishes for  our  two "fighting" women . Our  Tana is  struggling but  DD  was  able  to  visit her  briefly and  give  a  full  report  about  her  son. Almost  teenagers eat  a  lot  and  he  seems  to  appreciate  our  cooking. He  took  both  dogs  walking  in  the neighborhood  and  was  amazed  at  the  number  of  people  who  know my  Fred  by  name  and  stop  and  chat.  The  two  dogs  play  in  the  house  well and  then  collapse  on  their respective  beds. It  is  good  to  see.

My parents  have  both  been  gone  for  a  long  time but  I  will  celebrate their  day. I  am  always  impressed  by  the  fine  parents  DS  and  DDIL  are and  enjoy  spending  time  with their  family.

Chili dogs  are  somewhat  low  on  my  list of  desired  foods  but  the  recipe is  a  good one that I  have  made  before.  A  Panama  Canal  cruise  is  on  my  wish  list but has  not  been  done  yet.

It  was  so  much  fun  watching  the  videos  and  sailaway  yesterday! I  hope  the  NA cruisers are  enjoying  their  trip.

Terry

• Like 29

Good Morning>

Thanks for the daily. Yesterday ended up being a lazy day between watching the Olympics and enjoying the excitement of the NA cruise out of Seattle. Both Rich's and Roy's meal suggestions sound great.

The Panama Canal is a great cruise experience.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good Sunday morning to all!  It's a beautiful start to our day here with a prediction of 89F and a mix of sun and clouds.  I'm sure the golfers will be out in short order.

It was an exciting start to cruising yesterday and I'll enjoy keeping up with Lisa's Live From.  If there are videos posted on her Facebook page it would wonderful if someone could post a link to them like yesterday's video of her embarkation.  Non-Facebook members can't watch an entire video because shortly after they start they want you to log in.  I would love to see what she has to show us on the ship so please, pretty please?

Thank you @richwmnfor the Daily today!  @rafinmdyour job of keeping lists seems to get busier as time goes on.  Prayers for FF Royds who lost his life recently and his family.  Prayers to all others on the care list especially Tana who is having such a rough time of it.  Congrats to all celebrating this week, too.  Cheers to all parents and the hard but important job they/we do.  My respect to all the culinarians out there.  Sometimes DH surprises me with a chili dog at lunch and I do enjoy them.  Today's menu suggestion of pulled pork sounds and looks tremendous, and a big thanks to @dfishfor the recipes and photos today and in the past.  

Today's destination of Panama Canal and Gatun Lake rang a bell so I checked the spreadsheet I started two weeks into the port of the day, and we had Gatun Lake on April 15.  I'm sure I added a photo or two so will wait to see if anyone else has anything new to add.  

DH wants to trim these ever-growing shrubs out front this morning so I guess I'll be kept busy cleaning up the mess all morning.  Our landscaping company is supposed to handle that work but they come by so rarely to do it, we have to pick up the slack or else this place would be a mess.  They should hire more workers to handle it but we all know how the hiring business has been going this year!  No workers available!  There are probably 1700 homes in our development to mow, trim and fertilize so with a 5 day work week you can see why they need a lot of people to keep up with that.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Good Sunday Morning. Good group of days.  Both parents are gone, Mom going out in style on 12/12/12.  Totally agree with the Strayed quote.  The meal sounds good, not sure what is for dinner.  Have cruised the Panama Canal and Gatun Lake many times.  Was on one when we were stopped in 2019.

Loved watching the BHB leaving Seattle, hope they are all having a fantastic time.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Noble-Rita:

2 oz of casa noble reposado tequila
1/2 oz of grand marnier orange liqueur
ice cubes (or ice)
1 of Lime Juice

Pour all ingredients over ice and stir.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 8.19.33 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is exciting to see your Fleet Report with an actual cruise again!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family. Yesterday’s on-shore breeze made getting out with Bindi enjoyable!  This morning we had a real test of her new behavior, when we encountered one of the neighborhood dogs that attacked her this past year.  Both of them were so good! Thank goodness, because one of Bindi’s strong pulls could pull me over in my unbalanced state. She may only weigh 35 pounds, but she is pure muscle!

Typing is still awkward, so I may just post a few pictures of my trip each day with a bit of info. I don’t want to forget a moment of it. And how exciting to read Lisa’s “Live From”. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Backsberg Pumphouse Shiraz - South Africa

This well rated Shiraz might be a bit difficult to find, but I found one online distributor offering the 2017 vintage for $23.99.

Winemaker notes:

Blackberry, raspberry and rich mocha aromas are interlaced with subtle aniseed and vanilla tones. The use of both French and American oak creates layers of flavours, with the latter contributing sweeter vanilla characters. The palate has great weight and depth due to layers of fruit tannins, oak combinations and sheer flavour intensity. 

History

Our family history in South Africa starts back at the beginning of the last century when our grandfather arrived at the shores of Cape Town as a penniless political and religious refugee from Lithuania. Graduating from working as a dockhand on the reclamation program around what today is the Waterfront, he started as a bicycle delivery “boy”, and finally bought a butcher shop at Paarl train station. The story goes that one morning someone arrived at the shop and asked if he would be interested in buying a farm. Mr. C.L. Back thought this an excellent idea and sold the butchers shop to purchase what is today known as Backsberg Estate Cellars. Farming activities in those days were mixed; some grain, some live stock, some fruit and in time, some wine grapes. Once wine making started in the early 20’s the wine was sold to the KWV. Over the years our father focused more and more on the wine side of our business. Eventually in 1969 he was offered, and accepted, the opportunity to sell the brand name in use at that time – Back’s Wines. For years after the sale he often used to say to me that that was one of his better decisions as it freed him of much debt and gave him the ability to restart. Whilst the buyers went off with the name, stock, the plant and equipment, he proceeded to register the name Backsberg. For my father this was a unique and challenging time. Our farm at that point was mostly planted to peaches, and thus he had the opportunity to build the brand without pressure to sell, as the orchards were replaced with vineyards over the next 10 years. This question led to the commencement of the family farming business, known today as Backsberg Estate Cellars. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

My parents have been gone for a few years. Not really a fan of chili dogs, although DS loves them.  

We went on a partial Panama Cruise with a stop at Gatum Lake many years ago. This morning, DH suggested I book another trip there this fall! I think he is tired of listening to me moaning about wanting to be on a cruise ship.  So that will be my quest today.

It is an absolute joy to be following a " Live from" thread again!  Missed the sailaway as we were out on the river with friends.  Beautiful evening.

DD and I are going to go in the pool this AM before it gets too hot.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23

Good Morning everyone. Headed off to church to count our blessings.

In case you didn’t catch it; we were so pumped about yesterday’s Nieuw Amsterdam restart we couldn’t take it any more.

We are booked and cruising to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 7 along with Copper and his child bride!

Yup! We are Blessed!

Thanks for the report.

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

Good Morning everyone. Headed off to church to count our blessings.

In case you didn’t catch it; we were so pumped about yesterday’s Nieuw Amsterdam restart we couldn’t take it any more.

We are booked and cruising to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 7 along with Copper and his child bride!

Yup! We are Blessed!

Thanks for the report.

Lucky you!  Have a great time!

Looking forward to reading all about it.

• Like 13

Good morning everyone from a gray rainy Boston. It seems that we’re only allowed one sunny, rainless day at a time here this summer.  Thanks Rich for the daily report.  Where would we be without our culinarians?  How else would we discover such treats as instant pot pulled pork sliders and brown butter scallops?  I get more meal tips from the daily than I ever thought.  Hats off to all parents, the most important job in the world.  I’ll call mom later this morning.  There are so many ports that I haven’t been to yet, I guess we’re going to be very busy in retirement.  Prayers to all on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event especially our CC friends sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam today.

• Like 23

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread — especially Rich and Roy.  Still miss my parents who died at very young ages — 47 and 58.

Today’s weather looks a little cloudy — hopefully won’t get rained on during my 5 minute walk to church.  Then dinner with twin and DBIL and watching the Mets game.  Though I have lived in PA since 1975 I am still a Jersey Girl at heart!  Katherine

• Like 21

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

I will pass on today's meal and drink selections.

Both Pauline and I had wonderful parents who are sadly no longer with us.

Paulines dad's memory is Thursday 29th July and David our reverend read out Roy's memory in church today.

After church we sat at our local beach for an hour then went to a garden centre for more plants for the garden and now Pauline is planting them in pots and also in the garden.

It is currently 70°F cloudy and quite close.

Prayers for everyone on the care list's.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

1627220661096488727964652742440.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily!

We too enjoyed the sailaway yesterday and it is good that Rich finally has to remember how to hit a live moving target for his maps. 🙂

Thanks to Roy for the lists, @kazu for the laughs, and all who add to the enjoyment each day.

We have both been without parents for the last 25+ years now, but feel so blessed to have been parents ourselves.

We will continue to pray for Tana and all those with a need, and certainly cheer those with a cause, such as those onboard the NA!

We are headed for some higher temps here in Kansas, with some forecasts showing several days in the 100's this week. Sounds like a good excuse to stay in and follow the Live From!! Living vicariously counts too,.. right?

We sailed the Panama Canal last year, ahead of the virus. Any day that starts with Panama rolls is surely bound to be a good one.😋

Some of our memories..

A.thumb.jpg.3f7bfe2d82473d733b26bb719c937c2a.jpg

B.thumb.JPG.35e57e88bd7cdc4206d8567ac247bf3a.JPG

C.thumb.JPG.f838ebfcb10ac78ea3596bdd3c1c3eea.JPG

D.thumb.JPG.ff8e2646e6306fa640c9ba5dafcef80a.JPG

E.thumb.JPG.8bd502cf73081e276f59de8b1fe8aa47.JPG

F.thumb.JPG.08460c10bf7fa789d1178ed83e1fa38f.JPG

Word must have gotten out that the Oosterdam was coming...😲

G.thumb.JPG.9e6f7d1b7add6f44647ea73466935793.JPG

Everyone please stay safe and healthy and have a great Sunday!

Lori & George

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1