The Daily for Sunday July 25, 2021

40 minutes ago, igraf said:

There should be a special ship location category for ships carrying passengers.

igraf

I think in the final days of the Fleet Report and/or early days of the daily Rich added  "with passengers" to the ships where it applied.  This time "with passengers" is a LOT happier.

I think today's port is pretty close to a repeat.  On April 15 we had Gatun Lake.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Hey Rich when is your Alaska cruise? Could we be on same one? Aug 7?

Mine is Sept 4th, so unfortunately we will not be on the same cruise.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I am in a race against CC refreshing. This is now the 3rd time I am starting Part 1 of my Icelandic adventure. 

I won’t bore you with too much info about our travels from Orlando to Iceland, but must mention….

We were thrilled when Tropical Storm/Hurricane Elsa gave us a break. We left Ormond Beach in the pouring rain. The sun was out by the time we reached Orlando.😎

Delta One’s lie-flat seats are ok, if sleep is your top priority. If traveling during the day, I prefer Comfort Class. Of course all is wonderful if in a “suite”. 

Iceland is very serious about its COVID checks. We had to press-register and print a bar code before leaving home. We waited 75+ minutes after getting our luggage to present that barcode. Only then were we allowed into the final checkpoint area to present our passports (in addition to Customs’ check), and vaccination cards.

We were released to the rest of the Country and headed to our hotel to drop off our luggage. Masks off!

We had made plans to head to the Sky Lagoon, a spa retreat very close to Reykjavik. We were very hungry so brunch was our top priority. Then we would decompress in the spa’s 7 step ritual. It was a great plan!

The airport had this very cool mural.

5DF96E67-FD51-4F60-A031-2AA5C2814750.jpeg.3966613ac7423ee71af61bba860c4c4d.jpeg

The 75+ minute line snaked around this fellow for such a long time, we named him “Leif”.

4C023C25-1F8F-4F8A-9902-D2BAAF6A08FB.jpeg.dda9910109ca3bfda1a3c3baeb826aca.jpeg

Sky Lagoon just opened at the end of April 2021, but after an amazing brunch we enjoyed every step of their 7 step spa ritual. Even the polar plunge!

The exterior walls are handmade sod blocks! And the lagoon’s infinity edge overlooks the Atlantic. 

7BE6577D-48ED-4705-B014-2821B313C96E.jpeg.49e9990424a86c417ce03fbbf8ff32b2.jpegE92620E1-A6E0-4827-A436-51F60B7595D4.jpeg.8b4e063b00798065d172ac57ebc413b9.jpegDEB12ADF-B464-407C-B810-D955E0CD81E7.jpeg.2841f7bd560d47da936af17f81518357.jpegADA8B07D-B283-496D-9C19-C25D32B3FE31.jpeg.3ff1fe7b48f97a9c483ea07cac15d3f5.jpeg
17FE3B53-FE7A-404B-B027-422E729C7226.jpeg.12b3d8e7afe72c72b8d243f072bb8623.jpeg

Stayed tuned for the continuing saga….

091D5631-9369-487E-91CA-13373D103544.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good Morning everyone. Headed off to church to count our blessings.

In case you didn’t catch it; we were so pumped about yesterday’s Nieuw Amsterdam restart we couldn’t take it any more.

We are booked and cruising to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 7 along with Copper and his child bride!

Yup! We are Blessed!

Thanks for the report.

I saw that 🙂. Enjoy ! 😄 

• Like 7

Good morning everyone. I can certainly celebrate parents’ day .Finally, a destination I’ve been to. I realized how many I have missed and love seeing all the pictures people post.

Yesterday, I got ice cream for Sam, not an east task with my walker a d by myself. Today we are meeting our daughter Lori and her family for an early dinner to celebrate her husband’s birthday which was the 22, and her birthday which is tomorrow.

It was great and emotional to watch the sail away that Seth did live on Facebook.

Stay safe out there. Considering that I had the J and  J vaccine and they’re not sure if I need a booster, it’s a bit disconcerting.

Carol

• Like 21

Good morning Rich and fellow Dailyites. Thanks so much for your time Rich.

I enjoyed Lisa's blog last night. Things were a bit in disarray but I'll bet today will go smoother. I have not looked at many boards except the Daily, and saw many Daily-ites replying to Lisa. It was fun.

Ann, enjoying your posts of your Iceland adventure and hoping for more pictures. 

Our parents have passed. Todays parents be like:

image.png.8ed7b0b20767bbc13bc99777af58d9f9.png

We had a fun surprise Birthday party last night. Going to take it easy today.. lol.

Cheers and prayers 

• Like 20

45 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think in the final days of the Fleet Report and/or early days of the daily Rich added  "with passengers" to the ships where it applied.  This time "with passengers" is a LOT happier.

I think today's port is pretty close to a repeat.  On April 15 we had Gatun Lake.

Shortly after, we had approaching the Pacific Ocean.  Now, we; covering all the points in between.

Lenda 

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Again, late to the party - we slept in.  After spending a good deal of yesterday afternoon and evening outside, combined with lower temperatures overnight and a cloudy morning, it made for great sleep conditions.

I think many of us should be classed as culinarians after going through this pandemic - some of us served up meals we never thought possible before this.  We served chili dogs for Summerfest one year when the theme of our party was Corner Gas.  Let's all celebrate parents day - our own parents, those of us who are parents, and those who are parents to critters.

We had a great day yesterday - drove about 30 mins to a lake where I presided over a vow renewal ceremony for a couple whose wedding I performed 10 years ago.  The bride wore a beautiful long flowing dress, while the groom and their two sons wore matching white shirts with black Bermuda shorts.  The two boys also wore kelly green bow ties, as they were the ushers to the ceremony.  After the formalities, those of us in formal gear changed into casual attire and enjoyed an evening of games (yardzee, ring toss, bean bag toss, ladderball, horseshoes), and a great barbecue of made to order steaks, baked potatoes and all kinds of salads.

Looking at the skies today, there is a possibility of rain, but it seems like it may just be that - a possibility.   I like today's menu suggestion, but we had pulled pork just a short time ago, so will set that recipe aside.  I usually make mine in the slow cooker, but like the fact that I can also do it in the instant pot - which can be plugged in on the deck.  For tonight, our not-quite-adopted Chinese daughter is bringing over her father's famous hot soba noodles for dinner.  He makes this amazing noodle dish that - although DH has trouble with heat, he manages to get some down, simply because they taste so good.  Lots of chili, curry, cumin, some chicken and vegetables all combined in this delicious dish.  We'll enjoy that on our deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

😁I've been enjoying watching and reading Lisa's report on the current sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam! 👍Thank you again for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists. 

We had a dining experience at the Culinary School in San Francisco a long time ago. 👩‍🍳👨‍🍳Hats off to chefs and cooks.

I checked my cruise history for the three times through the Panamá Canal with the last time being on the Volendam in November 2018.🚢

When I hear of Cheryl Strayed, I think of her book 'Wild' which was a pick for my book club.📚

Happy Sunday and🙏 prayers for all in need!

Katie

FB_IMG_1605367301079.jpg

FB_IMG_1605367221479.jpg

FB_IMG_1605367285592.jpg

1627221442303_0_20171230_084651.jpg

20171231_143445.jpg

• Like 22

48 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I can certainly celebrate parents’ day .Finally, a destination I’ve been to. I realized how many I have missed and love seeing all the pictures people post.

Yesterday, I got ice cream for Sam, not an east task with my walker a d by myself. Today we are meeting our daughter Lori and her family for an early dinner to celebrate her husband’s birthday which was the 22, and her birthday which is tomorrow.

It was great and emotional to watch the sail away that Seth did live on Facebook.

Stay safe out there. Considering that I had the J and  J vaccine and they’re not sure if I need a booster, it’s a bit disconcerting.

Carol

Birthday wishes for your daughter tomorrow Carol and belated birthday wishes for your son in law last Thursday.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. I’ll celebrate them all. Parents, yes! Culinarians, I think we all have become better cooks over the past 16 months.  And Craig loves chili dogs. The best are when I use the chili from one of our favorite sandwich restaurants. 

Thank you for the Care/Celebration list Roy. 

Debbie @dfish thank you for your recipe today. Also, You can make this without the bbq sauce, in fact I always make it without the sauce so I can use the leftovers in a variety of different ways. This is the recipe I use:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/pork-carnitas-recipe-1925103  The orange really is essential to the recipe. 

Ann, @cat shepardI am so excited to read all about your trip. Thank you for your report and pictures today. 

We were on the Volendam for our Panama Canal cruise but it was in 2000 and all I can find is a video Craig took. 

Today is another very rainy day, so weird. The back yard looks like a mess, the water is coming up over the patio. Craig has a hose siphoning off the overflow but it isn’t enough. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

Good Morning.

There is one thing that I don't think I will ever forget about the Panama Canal.  That is getting up early and looking at all the ships surrounding us, waiting for their turn to go through the Canal.  It had a rather eerie feeling to it.

I am trying to remember which photos I have previously posted.  If I make any duplications we will put it down to an aging brain.

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person

Val

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

Thanks Rich and all that contribute. My last cruise was on the Rotterdam through the Panama Canal. I think it was the last time any ship went through the canal with passengers.  I’ve been through the canal before and tried to take pictures of the locks opening and closing but they are so massive it didn’t photograph well. This time I was with my son and granddaughter. I love that cruise. I just enjoyed the view and the company. If I had known when we were passing through that it would be the last time for a long time I may have savored it more. 

Edited by lindaler
Old brain.
  • Like 19

1 minute ago, Marmot@Sea said:

There is one thing that I don't think I will ever forget about the Panama Canal.  That is getting up early and looking at all the ships surrounding us, waiting for their turn to go through the Canal.  It had a rather eerie feeling to it.

Love your pictures!  And I don’t care if any are repeats, I enjoy them all and the more the better. 

I agree about your comment above. It was very eerie seeing all the ships waiting for their turn. It was also very “steamy” the day we went through so the air was misty from the humidity. The mist  wore off but the humidity didn’t. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, kazu said:

DH gave me this magnet a long time ago.  Do you think he was trying to tell me something 😉 

6EE46700-8225-4B6D-92FD-A5E668440F0B.thumb.jpeg.2d5e2c1a070eb0b0c2dd80b8ee2fffcc.jpeg

Getting tired of playing chef - one of these days I’m going to follow this idea 😉 

I love this!  And I love your DH’s humor. I agree about being tired of playing chef. I feel like all I do is think about what our next meal is going to be. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It was an exciting start to cruising yesterday and I'll enjoy keeping up with Lisa's Live From.  If there are videos posted on her Facebook page it would wonderful if someone could post a link to them like yesterday's video of her embarkation.  Non-Facebook members can't watch an entire video because shortly after they start they want you to log in.  I would love to see what she has to show us on the ship so please, pretty please?

So far I haven’t seen her post anything very different on FB except for a video from their verandah at sail away. And I can’t figure out how to share it here. I’m not a huge FB poster so maybe someone else knows more than I do. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2008 Rovos Rail epic journey from Dar es Salaam to Cape Town.  It was taken from the train July 25, 2008 as we approached Pretoria.

IMG_1123.JPG.fb6c04372a892fec3c86e3b78eb

Roy

• Like 22

3 hours ago, igraf said:

There should be a special ship location category for ships carrying passengers.

igraf

Will this work for y'all?????

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Juneau eta 7/26

• Like 29

Help! All 3 hummingbird feeders are filled with bees and our hummingbirds are flying all around them and can't land. I think they are honey bees. Little furry things? I know they aren't wasps or hornets. Should I spray? Trap? Help!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Will this work for y'all?????

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Juneau eta 7/26

Jeepers Rich, that's going above and beyond! Thank you!

• Like 11