The Daily for Sunday July 25, 2021

richwmn

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Help! All 3 hummingbird feeders are filled with bees and our hummingbirds are flying all around them and can't land. I think they are honey bees. Little furry things? I know they aren't wasps or hornets. Should I spray? Trap? Help!

Please do not spray, Joy. We need EVERY bee.

Call animal/bee control (I am making up bee control) or a local bee keeper to help. Might even have someone in your County.  

Do you have a neighborhood website where you can post this question? I have a Nextdoor app, but not sure if that is available outside of Florida. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14

Good afternoon!

Thanks to all who contribute here on The Daily.  Hugs 🤗 to those on the care list and cheers 🍻to those on the celebratory list.

We have made 3 trips to/through the Panama Canal (one into Lake Gatun and back out, and 2 full transits).

in honor of chili dog day, we had them for lunch on the lanai — with corn and black bean salsa (and a glass of Merlot).

46DBC489-1279-46A5-8214-CE585E103BA5.thumb.jpeg.ca984d2c991b6748c5b1fc099fef5e8c.jpeg

• Like 20

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Will this work for y'all?????

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Juneau eta 7/26

Feel free to ignore me, Rich - but if I get a vote…. I would move this wonderful, new section to the TOP of your list. It is so exciting! 

Thank you for even caring!

Ann

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So far I haven’t seen her post anything very different on FB except for a video from their verandah at sail away. And I can’t figure out how to share it here. I’m not a huge FB poster so maybe someone else knows more than I do. 

I haven’t been able to find a way to copy videos from FB either.  I can do pics most times but not videos 😔 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So far I haven’t seen her post anything very different on FB except for a video from their verandah at sail away. And I can’t figure out how to share it here. I’m not a huge FB poster so maybe someone else knows more than I do. 

Thanks Sharon.  I'm sure there's a Facebook expert on here somewhere so we can hope they will post a link when videos show up.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Help! All 3 hummingbird feeders are filled with bees and our hummingbirds are flying all around them and can't land. I think they are honey bees. Little furry things? I know they aren't wasps or hornets. Should I spray? Trap? Help!

Don’t spray.  If they are furry, they are honey bees from the sounds of things.  And they are important.

The feeder probably unscrews?  If the bees aren’t mad, you could unscrew it carefully, pointing it away from you.  Then drop it and get outta’ there.

Or put a plastic bag on the whole thing, then unscrew and hold the bag up to empty.

Or call a bee keeper.  That’s your safest bet.  They’ve got the equipment to protect themselves.  

@Seasick Sailor - edited to make sure I read your post correctly.  Are the bees actually IN the humming bird feeders or around them?  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I am in a race against CC refreshing. This is now the 3rd time I am starting Part 1 of my Icelandic adventure. 

I won’t bore you with too much info about our travels from Orlando to Iceland, but must mention….

We were thrilled when Tropical Storm/Hurricane Elsa gave us a break. We left Ormond Beach in the pouring rain. The sun was out by the time we reached Orlando.😎

Delta One’s lie-flat seats are ok, if sleep is your top priority. If traveling during the day, I prefer Comfort Class. Of course all is wonderful if in a “suite”. 

Iceland is very serious about its COVID checks. We had to press-register and print a bar code before leaving home. We waited 75+ minutes after getting our luggage to present that barcode. Only then were we allowed into the final checkpoint area to present our passports (in addition to Customs’ check), and vaccination cards.

We were released to the rest of the Country and headed to our hotel to drop off our luggage. Masks off!

We had made plans to head to the Sky Lagoon, a spa retreat very close to Reykjavik. We were very hungry so brunch was our top priority. Then we would decompress in the spa’s 7 step ritual. It was a great plan!

The airport had this very cool mural.

5DF96E67-FD51-4F60-A031-2AA5C2814750.jpeg.3966613ac7423ee71af61bba860c4c4d.jpeg

The 75+ minute line snaked around this fellow for such a long time, we named him “Leif”.

4C023C25-1F8F-4F8A-9902-D2BAAF6A08FB.jpeg.dda9910109ca3bfda1a3c3baeb826aca.jpeg

Sky Lagoon just opened at the end of April 2021, but after an amazing brunch we enjoyed every step of their 7 step spa ritual. Even the polar plunge!

The exterior walls are handmade sod blocks! And the lagoon’s infinity edge overlooks the Atlantic. 

7BE6577D-48ED-4705-B014-2821B313C96E.jpeg.49e9990424a86c417ce03fbbf8ff32b2.jpegE92620E1-A6E0-4827-A436-51F60B7595D4.jpeg.8b4e063b00798065d172ac57ebc413b9.jpegDEB12ADF-B464-407C-B810-D955E0CD81E7.jpeg.2841f7bd560d47da936af17f81518357.jpegADA8B07D-B283-496D-9C19-C25D32B3FE31.jpeg.3ff1fe7b48f97a9c483ea07cac15d3f5.jpeg
17FE3B53-FE7A-404B-B027-422E729C7226.jpeg.12b3d8e7afe72c72b8d243f072bb8623.jpeg

Stayed tuned for the continuing saga….

091D5631-9369-487E-91CA-13373D103544.jpeg

Thanks for the photos and description of your trip so far.  Looks like you started out with a bang!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor - this may help for the future so you don’t have the problem.

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/attracting-hummingbirds/keeping-bees-away-from-hummingbird-feeders/

I also read that it’s wise to really clean out the little nectar things where they feed so that they don’t accumulate sugar.  I always wash mine every time I change the nectar.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Debbie @dfish thank you for your recipe today. Also, You can make this without the bbq sauce, in fact I always make it without the sauce so I can use the leftovers in a variety of different ways. This is the recipe I use:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/pork-carnitas-recipe-1925103  The orange really is essential to the recipe. 

Thanks, Sharon.   I have made pulled pork with a vinegrette sauce that is excellent.  It cuts the sweetness a lot and has a touch of fire to it.  Even my brother, the culinary arts graduate, thought it was good.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Don’t spray.  If they are furry, they are honey bees from the sounds of things.  And they are important.

The feeder probably unscrews?  If the bees aren’t mad, you could unscrew it carefully, pointing it away from you.  Then drop it and get outta’ there.

Or put a plastic bag on the whole thing, then unscrew and hold the bag up to empty.

Or call a bee keeper.  That’s your safest bet.  They’ve got the equipment to protect themselves.  

Thanks Jacqui. A neighbor used to have bee hives and said they are Honey bees and to leave them alone, as you said they are important. They literally just showed up this morning enmasse!!

I do clean our feeder ports with a pipe cleaner type brush. Thank you for the other website as well.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Sunday Morning. Good group of days.  Both parents are gone, Mom going out in style on 12/12/12.  Totally agree with the Strayed quote.  The meal sounds good, not sure what is for dinner.  Have cruised the Panama Canal and Gatun Lake many times.  Was on one when we were stopped in 2019.

Loved watching the BHB leaving Seattle, hope they are all having a fantastic time.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Noble-Rita:

2 oz of casa noble reposado tequila
1/2 oz of grand marnier orange liqueur
ice cubes (or ice)
1 of Lime Juice

Pour all ingredients over ice and stir.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 8.19.33 AM.png

This is a new one on me.  I doubt I will try it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thanks, Sharon.   I have made pulled pork with a vinegrette sauce that is excellent.  It cuts the sweetness a lot and has a touch of fire to it.  Even my brother, the culinary arts graduate, thought it was good.

Yum, that also sounds good!  And I didn't know your brother was a culinary grad, he has his own day today!  😉

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

@Seasick Sailor - edited to make sure I read your post correctly.  Are the bees actually IN the humming bird feeders or around them?  

Jacqui, yes. Their little heads are in the "bee proof ports" and you only see their butts..

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

Yum, that also sounds good!  And I didn't know your brother was a culinary grad, he has his own day today!  😉

Yes, he does.   He actually claims I'm a better cook than he is.  Hah!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui, yes. Their little heads are in the "bee proof ports" and you only see their butts..

Nice to know the “bee proof ports” are working so well - NOT 😱 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know you are a bit stressed, Sis, but I would love to see a video of their furry butts.😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Viking Nov 22 2018 to Dec 12th.

Made it through the canal and into Puntarenas where we disembarked for hospital on Dec 3rd due to Allen getting heat stroke..

1130181522b.jpg

1126180939.jpg

1124181747.jpg

1126182004.jpg

1126181805b.jpg

1122181528.jpg

1201181227a_HDR.jpg

1122181640~2.jpg

Lovely photos and nice cabin Joy.

Sorry to hear Allen had heatstroke during your cruise.

I hope he was allowed to continue the cruise after his hospital visit.

Graham 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich, Roy and everyone who makes this happen. We did a partial trip through the Panama Canal in 2017 and are looking forward to the full transit on our 2/13/22 cruise. 

00481FD3-C595-4B8F-ADB0-68C20DA5719A.jpeg

D3FEF31C-9332-4A83-B574-DED34F688CA2.jpeg

C08DADC7-D1B8-4934-9F59-41D63FDB7209.jpeg

4E247FA3-2FF2-4032-8789-E3C1126D63DE.jpeg

1254C451-2D0E-4151-9928-9AE1FE9783C3.jpeg

DB3D98F2-DB95-47E3-9180-32D7660E0A46.jpeg

• Like 20

Good afternoon!

We did both a full transit (Pacific to Atlantic) in 2009 on the Zuiderdam, and then a partial transit in 2016 on Coral Princess.  On that cruise we were able to disembark in Gatun Lake and take a tour of the new locks (not open yet), and then go to the Gatun Lock observation deck to watch our ship go through! We then went to Colon to meet the ship.

Laura

044.thumb.JPG.106d21a08189c74c17d0c21e7317dc13.JPG

055.thumb.JPG.3f97fa36b4c1a2e96ec9e8641573996b.JPG

061.thumb.JPG.9cb64575a7543479a027ae88916f4cba.JPG

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Question. Do men need to wear long pants 👖 in the MDR for breakfast?

We always get room service breakfast and eat it on our balcony so cannot help but I would expect to see shorts worn.

On our RCG, Princess,P&O and NCL cruises I have worn long shorts at lunchtime but always long trousers at dinner.

Graham.

IMG-20210518-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

Good afternoon to all. It's a sunny and warm day here in SW Ontario. The heat is supposed to stall for a couple of days, so the AC is back on. I much prefer the air blowing through the house, but I can't sleep if it is too hot, preferring a night time temperature of south of 19ºC.

Thanks for the maps, Rich. So exciting to follow those on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I think we ALL wish we were on that ship. Thanks to those sharing their experiences!  Thanks to all the others for keeping the thread active. 

We are scheduled for the full transit from FLL in April. Fingers crossed that it is a go. And then I'll have pictures! 

Wishing everyone a wonderful week full of blessings and joy! 

• Like 15