Jump to content

HAL Navigator App - Do We Have to Download It?


Recommended Posts

I just reinstalled the app on my phone.  My login and password are giving me an error message.  I read the password "requirements."  Mine doesn't meet those now.  Do you think I need to reset my password, or make a new account??  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

I just reinstalled the app on my phone.  My login and password are giving me an error message.  I read the password "requirements."  Mine doesn't meet those now.  Do you think I need to reset my password, or make a new account??  

I'd suggest resetting your password

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:
51 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

I just reinstalled the app on my phone.  My login and password are giving me an error message.  I read the password "requirements."  Mine doesn't meet those now.  Do you think I need to reset my password, or make a new account??  

I'd suggest resetting your password

Reset password and re-boot your device.  There has been a lot of chatter on various boards about the Nav app and some of the issues.  Although, people now sailing do not seem to be complaining about any problems with the app.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wondering if Navigator still has the messaging feature? No one has mentioned it. In the past we only used it to let folks know where we were, when to meet, etc.  Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Just wondering if Navigator still has the messaging feature? No one has mentioned it. In the past we only used it to let folks know where we were, when to meet, etc.  Thanks 

Hi, Susan - under the Connect tab, there's a Chat button which says it will work once onboard.  Guess I'll try it in a few weeks.  🙂  Barb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I often carry my phone with me onboard. Data off, wifi off, and headphones it just becomes an audio tool for music, Audible books and podcasts.

Seldom used Part 2, the toolbox, maps, compass, flashlight, level calculator, unit converter,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Zuiderdam Sept 2019 Navigator worked well for ship day to day info, but when trying to message with family onboard consistently said no one by my name was on the ship.  Amusing since my shipboard account showed every day!  
 

It also works much better on newish  iPhone than new iPad.  Full Rotterdam itinerary including excursions for example.  iPad only the first 3 days listed with no other info.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, kazu said:

 

The Navigator app has been around for quite a while and been upgraded.

It’s not a covid tracker but a means to check your on board account, make reservations, see what’s going on, etc.

 

Pre-cruise it can be used for boarding passes, etc.

 

There is no cost to use it on board.  Part of the ship’s internet system so you don’t need to buy internet.

 

It’s recommended but not mandatory.

Wow!  Wish I had known this before purchasing an internet package!  (We are new to HAL).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, zelker said:

Hi, Susan - under the Connect tab, there's a Chat button which says it will work once onboard.  Guess I'll try it in a few weeks.  🙂  Barb

Thanks Barb. Can’t wait to try it out in November on the Rotterdam. 😃

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Wow!  Wish I had known this before purchasing an internet package!  (We are new to HAL).

You still need internet access for external purposes like checking your email, air carrier to do online checkin, social media like Facebook, Cruise Critic, or any website (except HAL’s).

 

Some people wait and check their email in port - the crew usually know how to find cheaper WiFi locations near the pier. I’m not comfortable doing this since the security of the WiFi connection is unknown. So it’s worth it to me to have the ship’s plan. 
 

Or if you are in a lot of US ports such as during Alaska, Hawaii, and New England itineraries (and stops like San Juan, Puerto Rico, or St Thomas & St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands) you can switch settings on your phone from WiFi to your regular cellular plan such as with Verizon while you are ashore. You can verify with the provider that there are no roaming charges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've deleted the app and re-downloaded.  It shows my 2 upcoming sailings (in November on Eurodam and December on NA).  I don't see any detail for anything.

 

Is that because there are no menus yet for Caribbean sailings?  There are excursions available to book online, but I don't see any on the app.  I can book specialty dining online but can't on the app.

 

I don't expect to use the app for things until I get on board, but it would be nice to know if the app isn't working properly for me or whether this is all I get until closer to sailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@NCTribeFan, it has more functionality the closer you get to your sail date.  I think the expectation is that passengers will use their computers at home to book dining and excursions weeks or months in advance.  The app is designed more for onboard use.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I've deleted the app and re-downloaded.  It shows my 2 upcoming sailings (in November on Eurodam and December on NA).  I don't see any detail for anything.

 

Is that because there are no menus yet for Caribbean sailings?  There are excursions available to book online, but I don't see any on the app.  I can book specialty dining online but can't on the app.

 

I don't expect to use the app for things until I get on board, but it would be nice to know if the app isn't working properly for me or whether this is all I get until closer to sailing.

We are on the Nov 10th Rotterdam sailing. I can see the cruise as well as the excursions I booked  online but that is it. No ability to book excursions, dinner reservations or see any menus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You still need internet access for external purposes like checking your email, air carrier to do online checkin, social media like Facebook, Cruise Critic, or any website (except HAL’s).

 

Some people wait and check their email in port - the crew usually know how to find cheaper WiFi locations near the pier. I’m not comfortable doing this since the security of the WiFi connection is unknown. So it’s worth it to me to have the ship’s plan. 
 

Or if you are in a lot of US ports such as during Alaska, Hawaii, and New England itineraries (and stops like San Juan, Puerto Rico, or St Thomas & St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands) you can switch settings on your phone from WiFi to your regular cellular plan such as with Verizon while you are ashore. You can verify with the provider that there are no roaming charges.

Download a VPN app…that takes care of any security issues.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I've deleted the app and re-downloaded.  It shows my 2 upcoming sailings (in November on Eurodam and December on NA).  I don't see any detail for anything.

 

Is that because there are no menus yet for Caribbean sailings?  There are excursions available to book online, but I don't see any on the app.  I can book specialty dining online but can't on the app.

 

I don't expect to use the app for things until I get on board, but it would be nice to know if the app isn't working properly for me or whether this is all I get until closer to sailing.

I think so. We sail on NA in 2 weeks and I can see the current days menus. Can’t book dining at all but can book shore ex.  I am on the first KDAM sailing and I’m guessing I won’t be able to see much of anything until we sail given the ship won’t have menus in the weeks before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I think so. We sail on NA in 2 weeks and I can see the current days menus. Can’t book dining at all but can book shore ex.  I am on the first KDAM sailing and I’m guessing I won’t be able to see much of anything until we sail given the ship won’t have menus in the weeks before. 

Unless things have changed you’ll only be able to view the ships daily MDR Menus til your connected to the ships intranet.

 

Now the Specialty Restaurant’s Menu are pretty accurate.

Edited by aliaschief
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 7:07 AM, curtdesilets said:

Thanks for the info.   I sort of like to disconnect on my cruises.  Dunno if anyone else here does.  Too much info, noise, etc during my work weeks.   

 

Yes, we do like to disconnect and want to.  I understand fully and think it is doable.  Making it mandatory would be foolish on HAL's part.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember having read somewhere that you can upload pictures in the Navigator App to be used for identification with your key card, but cannot find this anymore. Have I read this correctly or misinterpreted something completely different?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 12:49 PM, mightycruisequeen said:

Yes!  While cruising, the cell phones sit in the safe.  I want no part of phones or ipads or laptops while decompressing at sea.

me Too!  That's why I am almost insisting on not doing the HAL Navigator App, although everyone seems to say I need to.  I want full immersion in Alaska, not immersion in my phone! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New version of Navigator app available today that fixed my errors that had persisted for four days.

 

FWIW my HAL PCC said that boarding passes will be provided via the Navigator app which makes it necessary to download.  Until I am close to cruising day in November, I am unable to verify this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...