August Bahamas Call for availability

wesport

51 minutes ago, wesport said:

The first two weeks in August, it says call for availability. Itinerary change?

That's very interesting.  If you just google Crystal Cruises Bahamas, those dates aren't even showing.  You have to put August under Dates to have them show up with "call for availablity"

They weren’t sold out a few days ago.  Based on my great experience on July 10, friends of mine were looking and there was lots of availability.   Hope it has nothing to do with the two cases detected on the 7/17 cruise.

8 minutes ago, cruisr said:

They weren’t sold out a few days ago.  Based on my great experience on July 10, friends of mine were looking and there was lots of availability.   Hope it has nothing to do with the two cases detected on the 7/17 cruise.

Just a couple days ago, only two categories said call.  

I just got an email Wednesday from Travelzoo promoting this cruise and all August dates were listed.

Additionally, they are promoting discounted fares to Bahamas residents (announced around July 8th).

And still showing availability at online TA.

So something is going on internally and we will just have to wait and see.

It was like this when I looked Friday afternoon.  Smells like whatever change they were working on will be rolled out shortly, based on the Antigua experience.

Vince

7 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It was like this when I looked Friday afternoon.  Smells like whatever change they were working on will be rolled out shortly, based on the Antigua experience.

Vince

Are you thinking cancellations?

Just now, wesport said:

Are you thinking cancellations?

I don’t think so, but I have no idea.  I think we’ll just finally figure out what the Miami business is, maybe.

Vince

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I find it interesting that they keep telegraphing future changes this way. 

But--we will wait and see.

Is it typical for Crystal to sell discounted cabins to residents of the port of departure?

That seems--well, unusual for a line that is so focused on seeming upscale.

Edited by broker1217
Edit to add--I could not care less if they sell discounted cabins to Bahamian residents, as long as they are vaccinated.

10 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Is it typical for Crystal to sell discounted cabins to residents of the port of departure?

They have many times in the past, especially in Europe.  Locals can travel on much shorter notice than their traditional customer base in the US, so they’re good for filling cabins on shorter notice.

Regarding the changes, they’re not telegraphing anything…. it takes multiple days to change all of the different systems that need updating, so when they start making those changes they’ll usually shut off certain systems so we see fewer inconsistencies.  We’re just observing those usual steps and commenting on it, based on past experience.  They’re not trying to tell us something.

Vince

25 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

They have many times in the past, especially in Europe.  Locals can travel on much shorter notice than their traditional customer base in the US, so they’re good for filling cabins on shorter notice.

Regarding the changes, they’re not telegraphing anything…. it takes multiple days to change all of the different systems that need updating, so when they start making those changes they’ll usually shut off certain systems so we see fewer inconsistencies.  We’re just observing those usual steps and commenting on it, based on past experience.  They’re not trying to tell us something.

Vince

Thanks. I agree they aren't trying to secretly tell us anything. But--clearly something may be changing. Or not---time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Actually, most cruise lines sell discounted cabins usually in the form of guarantees. Many times those cabins are sold short before the cruise starts (two weeks). One of the things I have learned in this time of COVID is that it is very difficult to plan in advance. I have one land trip planned at the end of August to Rome and even though it is only one month from now, conditions are changing in Europe due to the Delta variant, so it is not really sure if I would be able to make that trip. 

I am trying to decide now also on a short notice in the case of cruises. I do not want to go through the trouble of monitoring years and months what is going on with my cruise and if the cruise line will refund my money or not in case of cancellation. Even worse if the cruise line will change its Terms and Conditions after my booking. I am afraid COVID has changed the way I book my cruises. The offers that cruise lines are making in short notice are perfectly understandable and welcome to me under the current circumstances. They are not necessary cheaper than the regular prices since most of the times they are based on guarantee cabins instead of selecting your own cabin. The savings I might have on those cruise fares, compensate the higher costs I have on booking flights or trains on short notice (those do not offer discounted rates closer to departure). But booking “last minute” gives me some peace of mind now. 

Ivi

• Like 3

17 hours ago, wesport said:

The first two weeks in August, it says call for availability. Itinerary change?

It’s contagious. Now the third week of August also says “Call for Availability “.

7 hours ago, wesport said:

Here you go. Just found this. Bahamas resident can sail for $1000 less pp. Great.74736963-BF34-4C72-A103-593629770898.thumb.jpeg.91fc16dcef17ee10c2be3feb3beed301.jpeg85EC0694-90A4-4B32-818C-C34784A6B7FA.thumb.jpeg.abacf4877d95967f89e47082d607db87.jpeg

If you search past threads in the forum, you’ll see all kinds of threads with comments ranging from shrugs to claims of discrimination from people that can’t take advantage of the fares, either because they’re not in the targeted audience or because they just can’t get to the port fast enough to take care of the short term offer.  Crystal doesn’t do it a lot, but in regions where they have enough local customers in their marketing database to make a difference, it happens.

Vince

Posted (edited)

The special pricing for the Bahamian residents WAS announced  by the Bahamian tourist minister during the July 3rd kickoff ceremony .  I know this because  watched most of the it.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, wesport said:

I just called Crystal, and the rep was not sure what is happening. 

Their reps don't usually get their (electronic) fact sheets until Crystal posts the info on the web, that's pretty typical.  This probably applies as much for the vaccination details on the Bermuda cruises as the itinerary changes.  

Vince

31 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Their reps don't usually get their (electronic) fact sheets until Crystal posts the info on the web, that's pretty typical.  This probably applies as much for the vaccination details on the Bermuda cruises as the itinerary changes.  

Vince

spot on my friend!!!!!

Nancy

• Like 1

This now mildly terrifying me....we just finished the visas yesterday! We're on the Aug.7th cruise.

I was just now allowing myself to get excited....We've already had Crystal cancel one of our cruises, another one would just be....well, horrible.

We can most certainly deal with an itinerary change....heck, they could just spin me around for a week without any port....but PLEEEZE don't cancel!!!

58 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

This now mildly terrifying me....we just finished the visas yesterday! We're on the Aug.7th cruise.

I was just now allowing myself to get excited....We've already had Crystal cancel one of our cruises, another one would just be....well, horrible.

We can most certainly deal with an itinerary change....heck, they could just spin me around for a week without any port....but PLEEEZE don't cancel!!!

Like the kayak commercial saysNO CANCELLING!!

• Like 1