new confusion about masks onboard

Late on Friday July 23 the CDC said this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cdc-says-mask-rules-will-apply-florida-cruise-ships-not-following-sail-order-2021-07-24/

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said late Friday that it will enforce its transit mask requirements on cruise ships in Florida that opt not to abide by its conditional sail order following a court ruling.

The CDC said it will not waive mask requirements in indoor spaces on cruise ships for those lines that are not voluntarily complying with its conditional sail order."

Are Celebrity ships sailing from Florida abiding by the CSO? I have a cruise December 4 on Constellation from Tampa.  I am vaccinated but will not cruise if I have to wear a mask onboard. My final payment date is Sept. 4 and will cancel before then if celebrity is now making vaccinated passengers wear masks.

The conditional sail order includes that ships sail with 95% vaccinated passengers and 98+ crew.  Celerity has been meeting or exceeding that requirement and I doubt they would not stick with it.  Effective August 1 everyone 12 and older has to be vaccinated or they fall in the 5% category.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

You can find your answer on the Celebrity website.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Considering this just changed 2 days ago, I hope the Celebrity web site has current information. From what I read and see on Royal Caribbean's website they are now requiring masks indoors for all passengers:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/07/24/cdc-will-enforce-mask-mandate-cruises-despite-court-lifting-cruise-ship-restrictions

Since the CDC is talking about reversing the masking for vaccinated people not required, and reimposing  masks for everyone indoors like some cities are doing, I am concerned that the cruise lines will suddenly reverse their mask protocols like they did on ships in Greece.

54 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Late on Friday July 23 the CDC said this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cdc-says-mask-rules-will-apply-florida-cruise-ships-not-following-sail-order-2021-07-24/

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said late Friday that it will enforce its transit mask requirements on cruise ships in Florida that opt not to abide by its conditional sail order following a court ruling.

The CDC said it will not waive mask requirements in indoor spaces on cruise ships for those lines that are not voluntarily complying with its conditional sail order."

Are Celebrity ships sailing from Florida abiding by the CSO? I have a cruise December 4 on Constellation from Tampa.  I am vaccinated but will not cruise if I have to wear a mask onboard. My final payment date is Sept. 4 and will cancel before then if celebrity is now making vaccinated passengers wear masks.

Exactly what has you confused? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Exactly what has you confused? 

I am not the OP, but I am also possible confused.  Perhaps the article is not very clear?

The CDC CSO has been declared illegal and not enforceable.

I assume the CDC has a rule that applies to all transportation across the US that requires masks when in transit.  I assume that since this an across the board requirement it is legal.  (Not clear to me from the article).  I believe the CDC is saying that if a cruise line voluntarily follows their CSO, then they will get a waiver on the across the board indoor transportation requirement. Thus masks do not need to be worn inside if you are vaccinated.

If this is true, then I am not confused.  If it is not true, then I am confused.  It is easy to see how it might be confusing.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

If this is true, then I am not confused.  If it is not true, then I am confused.  It is easy to see how it might be confusing.  

You are correct. There's been an order out since late January or early February requiring mask wear on all transportation.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am not the OP, but I am also possible confused.  Perhaps the article is not very clear?

The CDC CSO has been declared illegal and not enforceable.

I assume the CDC has a rule that applies to all transportation across the US that requires masks when in transit.  I assume that since this an across the board requirement it is legal.  (Not clear to me from the article).  I believe the CDC is saying that if a cruise line voluntarily follows their CSO, then they will get a waiver on the across the board indoor transportation requirement. Thus masks do not need to be worn inside if you are vaccinated.

That is certainly confusing. 😆

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Why is crew 98%, not 100%?

It might very well be 100%, I just couldn't recall the number.  I think under the CDC guidelines it is less than but very close to100% for crew. Celebrity is sailing with 100%.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

That is certainly confusing. 😆

To me, as well, so I did some reading...

Despite the ups and downs as to the viability of the CSO, under "section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states. The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html 

The CDC has the authority to carry out its responsibility by monitoring those entering the US at ports of entry, detaining passengers, quarantining, and isolating anyone suspected of carrying a disease of concern.  However, as you noted, the CDC stated that cruise lines that voluntarily adhered to its standards would not be subject to such measures.  Thus, came the CSO.  However, it looks as though, if the CDC wanted to do so, it might have the authority to be much more draconian in terms of implementing actions toward returning cruise ship passengers who have visited countries determined to have a high rate of Covid infections....as do many Caribbean islands.  Florida officials may want to keep that in mind if the CSO is permanently eliminated for those measures seem to be well-embedded in the CDC's "reach". 

As for masks, in January 2021, under the aforementioned authority and in conjunction with the TSA, the CDC issued an order requiring face masks to be worn by all people while on public transportation "conveyances" traveling into, out of, and between US states. This order also required masks in transportation hubs such as airports, train stations, bus terminals, and seaports.   On June 10th, again in conjunction with the TSA, the CDC announced that it was considering modifying the mask requirement on public conveyances but until it has done so, it will exercise its discretionary power by not requiring that people wear masks while outdoors on public transportation conveyances or while outdoors at transportation hubs. However, conveyance operators (e.g. cruise lines) "must continue to require all people onboard to wear masks when boarding and disembarking, and for the duration of travel, unless they are located in outdoor areas of the conveyance...".   This is why the CDC said it will continue to require masks in certain areas of cruise ships.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/masks/mask-travel-guidance.html

All this is just my "take".  Other CC readers who are more informed may have greater insight and/or reached a different conclusion.

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Celebrity has followed the CDC CSO to get approval for Edge and Equinox to sail from FL prior to all this legal positioning.

Agreed.
We just got off the Edge yesterday after a 7 night Caribbean cruise. On our trip to Florida we were required to wear masks in the airport terminals and while flying on the planes.

At the port we were also required to wear masks in the cruise terminal and while boarding the ship. But once on board we were allowed to remove them. It was so nice to experience a sort of normalcy. Most of the crew were not required to wear masks on board either.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Why is crew 98%, not 100%?

Celebrity stated their crew will be 100% vaccinated, and guests at 95% vaccinated (although in reality, that vaccinated number is closer to 98%-99% that Celebrity has been sailing at).

Simply put, if you're unvaccinated on a Celebrity Cruise ship and over the age of 12 (if you actually make it on the ship as an unvaccinated adult), you'll be paying for additional testing, be subject to mask requirements, and have to pay for COVID insurance.

This has nothing to do with the CDC at this juncture.  This is Celebrity's policy.  It's simple!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, blueboro said:

If the CDC can't enforce the conditional sail order...can they enforce masks?

If the CDC cannot enforce the CSO, can cruise lines request proof of vaccine when sailing out of Florida? That "work around" was because the CSO mandated 95% vaccinated passengers. Without that CSO enforcement, how will the cruise lines have the ability to ask passengers to volunteer their vaccine status and deny them boarding if they do not have proof of vaccine OUT OF FLORIDA? Or......can they still ask even though there is no longer an enforceable CSO?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Simply put, if you're unvaccinated on a Celebrity Cruise ship and over the age of 12 (if you actually make it on the ship as an unvaccinated adult), you'll be paying for additional testing, be subject to mask requirements, and have to pay for COVID insurance.

Thankfully, no one over the age of 12 who is unvaccinated will be allowed on any Celebrity ship sailing out of Seattle (or over the age of 16 before August).

However, if someone is travelling with kids under 12, the entire group will be subject to the additional testing, shore excursion restrictions, and additional expenses (even though the adults and/or older children in the party must be vaccinated).

At the moment, Celebrity is not requiring masks onboard for anyone over 12 (except perhaps for those families travelling with children under the age of 12). As for each port, we probably won't know until the day before we dock at each one whether masks will be required ashore since the rules and situation are constantly changing.

Edited by ReubenR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

It might very well be 100%, I just couldn't recall the number.  I think under the CDC guidelines it is less than but very close to100% for crew. Celebrity is sailing with 100%.

The crew is 100% vaccinated &

95% passengers are vaccinated as well.  I believe that Celebrity wanted 100% vaccinated passengers, but Gov Desantis fought them in it.

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

If the CDC cannot enforce the CSO, can cruise lines request proof of vaccine when sailing out of Florida? That "work around" was because the CSO mandated 95% vaccinated passengers. Without that CSO enforcement, how will the cruise lines have the ability to ask passengers to volunteer their vaccine status and deny them boarding if they do not have proof of vaccine OUT OF FLORIDA? Or......can they still ask even though there is no longer an enforceable CSO?

Florida's ban on companies requiring disclosure of vaccination status is a completely different issue than the CDC's masking requirement.

The cruise lines have managed to work around that law by considering any passenger who refuses to voluntarily provide their vaccinated status as "unvaccinated," with all costs, testing, and applicable restrictions imposed on those families.

So for those sailing out of Florida, it's in their best interest to provide proof of vaccination to avoid all of that, but per Florida law you're not required to do so and the cruise lines can't demand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, ReubenR said:

However, if someone is travelling with kids under 12, the entire group will be subject to the additional testing, shore excursion restrictions, and additional expenses (even though the adults and/or older children in the party must be vaccinated).

I don’t believe this is correct. Where did you read this?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

What is Celebrity’s Shorex Policy?

In ports where guests are permitted to go ashore independently, all vaccinated guests are permitted to go ashore on their own. All unvaccinated guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore. Families with unvaccinated children are required to take a Celebrity curated tour to go ashore. In ports where cruise ship guests are not permitted to go ashore independently, guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore.

As for "additional expenses" related to COVID, there currently aren't any on Celebrity (except, of course, in Florida), but the company has stated that it reserves the right to require such charges if necessary, hence unvaccinated passengers and their families/travelling companions are "subject" to such costs if any should be imposed (which they haven't been, yet).

When the Millennium was sailing out of St. Maarten, all passengers (vaccinated or otherwise) were required to show a negative COVID test prior to boarding. Two passengers still managed to catch COVID on the ship for the June 5th sailing, so at the time the cruise line indicated this testing requirement would be extended to Seattle. But it appears Celebrity has reconsidered since that language no longer appears on the FAQ page. Still, the encroaching Delta variant is likely to put Celebrity back on a defensive footing that could require such testing for everyone again, especially families travelling with unvaccinated children.

In Florida, both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean currently charge $178 per person per test for anyone over the age of 16 (or 12 as of Aug 1st) who refuses to disclose his/her vaccination status, such tests to be administered both at embarkation and at debarkation. It's not clear whether the mid-cruise PCR test will also be charged. Unless Washington state also passes a ban on asking a person's vaccination status, this likely won't be an issue for Alaska cruises.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, blueboro said:

If the CDC can't enforce the conditional sail order...can they enforce masks?

Possibly or not, yet it is X's policy which will dictate mask wearing or not and where and who must.

Hopefully, just hopefully those who may desire to choose to go against X's policy in favour of their own desires will choose to sail on a different line instead of trying to argue a personal agenda/desire with X.

Cruising for all, safely... bon voyage

• Like 1

5 hours ago, schittenden said:

I don’t believe this is correct. Where did you read this?

Thanks... can you link us to the correct info on this?

bon voyage

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, susiesan said:

From what I read and see on Royal Caribbean's website they are now requiring masks indoors for all passengers:

Royal's sailings out of Florida allow more than 5% unvaccinated... so they are following CDC rules for that situation...which requires masks for all..regardless of vaccine status unless you are in one of the vaccine only locations..where masking is not necessary. This is not new and is consistent with CDC guidance. Celebrity on the other hand is sailing with fewer than 5% unvaccinated and the CDC guidance allows for vaccinated not to wear masks. I don't really see any change... it appears to be a middle finger to the courts... essentially saying..."okay you can say the CSO exceeds our authorization and cruise lines can do what they want...but we are going to use this other aspect of our powers to make their lives a living hell should they decide to do what you allow them to do.". Frankly I do not see the cruise lines changing anything in terms of loosening protocols for a while... by then courts will decide and hopefully Delta variant will have faded.

Edited by kearney

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

it appears to be a middle finger to the courts

It's more of a middle finger to the Florida legislature and Governor who passed the law that prohibits Florida businesses from requiring an individual to provide proof of vaccination in order to receive services.  You don't have to provide proof, but you'll be treated as unvaccinated if you don't.  

RCI still goes with the masks because they didn't want to enforce a 95% vaccination rate among passengers because of all the younger children that come on board and, as of yet, are not able to be vaccinated.  Celebrity doesn't tend to have that issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2