On board Apex now. Bullet point synopsis and observations!

ian441672

Who is the concierge on board? 

We were due to be on the inaugural cruise on the Apex but of course it never happened. 

Maybe one day - but a bit concerned it might be too big for us. 

25 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Who is the concierge on board? 

We were due to be on the inaugural cruise on the Apex but of course it never happened. 

Maybe one day - but a bit concerned it might be too big for us. 

We should have known it would go wrong given the sailing date…April 1st, 2020…. A lifetime ago! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for posting this. We are booked in an aft sky Which deck are you on? Any issues with noise from above or below, or soot!

On Edge there were issues with water escaping from the shower / bath combo. Any issues?

We loved Luminae and particularly the beautiful and delicate presentation. Unfortunately some people only judge by big portions. Hope they settle down!

1 hour ago, Tony UK said:

Thank you for posting this. We are booked in an aft sky Which deck are you on? Any issues with noise from above or below, or soot!

On Edge there were issues with water escaping from the shower / bath combo. Any issues?

We loved Luminae and particularly the beautiful and delicate presentation. Unfortunately some people only judge by big portions. Hope they settle down!

Deck10. Woke up this morning to a bit of soot on our loungers and chairs. No real noise apart from hearing our neighbours toilet flush!  Generally tho, a quiet ship. 

Food Update: just had lunch in Luminae, wife asked if they could prepare an off menu cobb salad. He checked and said yes, it may take 5 minutes extra but chef could do that. It was huge! Recommend the prawn ceviche too, amazing flavours. 

Canuck: We also asked for the beef ‘en-croute’ Wellington from one of the MDRs and after a quick check that was fine for tonight, so not much notice needed at all and very happy to do that. 

Can’t remember the concierge lady’s name but if I remember and get a chance I will discreetly look! Young lady, long hair, very friendly and my wife thinks she has been mentioned on here already. 

Edited by ian441672

50 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Deck10. Woke up this morning to a bit of soot on our loungers and chairs. No real noise apart from hearing our neighbours toilet flush!  Generally tho, a quiet ship. 

Food Update: just had lunch in Luminae, wife asked if they could prepare an off menu cobb salad. He checked and said yes, it may take 5 minutes extra but chef could do that. It was huge! Recommend the prawn ceviche too, amazing flavours. 

Canuck: We also asked for the beef ‘en-croute’ Wellington from one of the MDRs and after a quick check that was fine for tonight, so not much notice needed at all and very happy to do that. 

Can’t remember the concierge lady’s name but if I remember and get a chance I will discreetly look! Young lady, long hair, very friendly and my wife thinks she has been mentioned on here already. 

Have you had the chance to dine in Eden yet?  I highly recommend it.   We tried Le Petit Chef, all of the MDRs, and Eden on our cruise.  We liked Normandie the best out of the MDR, and ate there twice.  Le Petit Chef was just okay.  Cute concept, food was a bit meh IMO, but I don't need to do the experience again.  Eden was stellar.  The food menu was innovative and delicious, and the staff very good at helping to pair wines, or suggest menu items.  The sunset views during dinner were fantastic, too.  I will dine in Eden again when I get a chance.  YMMV

Ian - Sounds like you are having a great time!  

Glad that you enjoyed your dinner at Fine Cut as I had read some not so good reviews on Facebook yesterday.  That chocolate bombe must have been a nice surprise for you!  We had something similar in Luminae on the Solstice and it was delish.

That is wonderful that you are finding Luminae to be accommodating & I hope you enjoy the Beef Wellington (my favourite😁).  I love a Cobb Salad too so that is a good idea for lunch.

Can hardly wait to sit on the Magic Carpet and have a cocktail - sounds so nice.  Martini Bar is always our fave too as the bartenders are so good at putting on a show.

Hope you have a nice rest today to get ready again for the evening's festivities.

We start our cruise in Amsterdam next year, so I told DH that we were going shopping for a "foldable table" to carry on to have breakfast on our balcony - you should have seen his face!🤪 Remember - I am the "overpacker" already - hahahaha.

Cheers!🍸

Canuck

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, toothdocsx2 said:

Very interested in Eden - the menu sure looks inventive on the app but it’s hard to understand.  This report is amazing - thank you so much

The Eden menu is so much variety, and less showy chemistry food from what I had originally seen online.  I tried several appetizers, entrees and desserts.  LOL!  One fav appetizer was seafood ceviche with cilantro/corriander ice cream.  Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but it was amazing.   The serving staff we had were really good about describing the food, and flavor profile of each dish.  I was traveling with a very picky eater, so we discovered that the cooks could alter some of the dishes for them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, hcat said:

Great review..love the photos,...esp the  APEX  art collection...one of the main reasons we may book APEX, having already enjoyed EDGE twice. We did not have a suite but loved the 4 mdr plan ( 2nd EDGE cruise)  even more than BLU  ( first EDGE cruise)

Hope you enjoy Mykonos..one of the nicest ports we have been to... truly beautiful water and great people.  We loved wandering and shopping  there and the little taverns,.

We are on the July 31st Apex trip and being told we have to get a cruise tour in Mykonos!

26 minutes ago, camella said:

We are on the July 31st Apex trip and being told we have to get a cruise tour in Mykonos!

Wait what?  Also on that trip date and have not heard that, though CC called today to ask about vax status.  May I ask who and when told y'all?

1 minute ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Wait what?  Also on that trip date and have not heard that, though CC called today to ask about vax status.  May I ask who and when told y'all?

It’s been like that for a couple of cruises. We were on the 9th July sailing and could go off ourselves in Mykonos but their case numbers are rising so each cruise since then are cruise tours only. 

2 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

It’s been like that for a couple of cruises. We were on the 9th July sailing and could go off ourselves in Mykonos but their case numbers are rising so each cruise since then are cruise tours only. 

Appreciate that.  Sometimes ... well a lot ... I think there is more info from these boards and this thread in particular than from CC.  Thank you and sir Ian. Website still references Israel in places and never got any formal communication that was changed.    But they did send an email today on wine preferences.  🤪  These days we gets what we gets and we don't get upset.😁  All good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camella said:

44 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

I was on the 17th Apex cruise, and yes that was the case with Mykonos.  It was a very last minute change after sailing, and caused quite a flurry of activity at shore excursions area.  I chose to skip that port, and just stay on the ship that day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I was on the 17th Apex cruise, and yes that was the case with Mykonos.  It was a very last minute change after sailing, and caused quite a flurry of activity at shore excursions area.  I chose to skip that port, and just stay on the ship that day.  

It's very strange though because we have friends that are currently on the Jewel.  They were on it last week and on it now and will be on it next week  - three in a row and they have gotten off both times in Mykonos.  In fact they sent me pictures this morning of their adventures there.  Yet on the Celebrity healthy at sea - it says - and it was updated yesterday - Mykonos requires a tour.  Maybe because their shore excursions aren't selling?  IDK but I am bummed and probably won't get off because none of their tours interest me.  Mykonos is such a beautiful island too 😞

1 hour ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Appreciate that.  Sometimes ... well a lot ... I think there is more info from these boards and this thread in particular than from CC.  Thank you and sir Ian. Website still references Israel in places and never got any formal communication that was changed.    But they did send an email today on wine preferences.  🤪  These days we gets what we gets and we don't get upset.😁  All good

If you go on the Healthy at sea on Celebrity and click on Greece it will show updated July 26, 2021 and it says on your own shore excursions except Mykonos.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/greece-travel-requirements

16 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Have you had the chance to dine in Eden yet?  I highly recommend it.   We tried Le Petit Chef, all of the MDRs, and Eden on our cruise.  We liked Normandie the best out of the MDR, and ate there twice.  Le Petit Chef was just okay.  Cute concept, food was a bit meh IMO, but I don't need to do the experience again.  Eden was stellar.  The food menu was innovative and delicious, and the staff very good at helping to pair wines, or suggest menu items.  The sunset views during dinner were fantastic, too.  I will dine in Eden again when I get a chance.  YMMV

Not really, we have eaten at Luminae, Fine Cut and have Flying Carpet for dinner tonight. We did ask for the beef en croute from Normandie last night in the Luminae and it was lovely. They also anticipated my warmed cognac post dinner and my wife’s side of steamed veg. 

We saw the Alice / Wonderland show in Eden again, very good again, and bar service all good. Had cocktails on magic carpet pre dinner, just us admiring a nice view and listening to a nice English singer and guitar with a lovely melancholic voice. As we left a larger party joined so that was good. Also saw a very good Brit singer from BGT (for those Brits, he was beaten by the 90 year old ballroom dancer!). He was lead in We Will Rock You and Joseph in the West End and had an amazing voice, surname was Derbyshire. Would watch him again. 

Late night, early morning, ughh. Rhodes here we come. 

Someone mentioned Mykonos on your own. On boarding day we were told in the lounge that that was under review, tbc. Haven’t heard but haven’t asked,  I will ask as we have a tour booked next week, but want to be on our own this week. 

Edited by ian441672
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ian - Sounds like you are having a great time!  

Glad that you enjoyed your dinner at Fine Cut as I had read some not so good reviews on Facebook yesterday.  That chocolate bombe must have been a nice surprise for you!  We had something similar in Luminae on the Solstice and it was delish.

That is wonderful that you are finding Luminae to be accommodating & I hope you enjoy the Beef Wellington (my favourite😁).  I love a Cobb Salad too so that is a good idea for lunch.

Can hardly wait to sit on the Magic Carpet and have a cocktail - sounds so nice.  Martini Bar is always our fave too as the bartenders are so good at putting on a show.

Hope you have a nice rest today to get ready again for the evening's festivities.

We start our cruise in Amsterdam next year, so I told DH that we were going shopping for a "foldable table" to carry on to have breakfast on our balcony - you should have seen his face!🤪 Remember - I am the "overpacker" already - hahahaha.

Cheers!🍸

Canuck

Foldable table…. Good idea. Not so sure how practical!? We have asked for afternoon tea on our balcony tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how practical this will be. Been saving our welcome champagne for this too, so whatever happens on Mykonos (or not), something to look forward to. Had a quick cup of tea late afternoon yday in the lounge and very nice indeed. Half a dozen people also enjoying, and just a nice casual relaxed atmosphere there. 

Nice corner bar too, no bar stalls, but not needed with all the comfy seating nearby. Separate presentation area near the Retreat Deck exit, for teas and nibbles. All good. 

Cheers!

@ian441672 is Eden now just a normal dinner without someone hanging upside down over your shoulder; and then a separate show? 

Are there any special deals on board for the specialty restaurants? Currently £39pp on the planner ($54).. wondering whether to buy now or wait! 

Guessed you have upgraded your drinks package but could you just ask how much an Aperol Spritz is please; I’m thinking it’s $10 so I should have $1.20 upsell to pay! 
Cheers 🍻

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, little britain said:

@ian441672 is Eden now just a normal dinner without someone hanging upside down over your shoulder; and then a separate show? 

Are there any special deals on board for the specialty restaurants? Currently £39pp on the planner ($54).. wondering whether to buy now or wait! 

Guessed you have upgraded your drinks package but could you just ask how much an Aperol Spritz is please; I’m thinking it’s $10 so I should have $1.20 upsell to pay! 
Cheers 🍻

Depending on when you eat it will be a “normal” dinner but the food is amazing. We loved the Edenists on Edge but the shows on Apex are very good also. On the 9th July sailing we did occasionally see them trying to sell the meals but I already had a 3 night package so didn’t stop to ask.

Wendy

12 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

It´s a fact. Due to the high Covid numbers on Mykonos, since last week curated tours are the only way to get off the ship. We´ll (hopefully) be on Apex 09/04 and received an email from Celebrity regarding the change a few days ago.

Other islands might follow...

Edited by Miaminice

21 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

It´s a fact. Due to the high Covid numbers on Mykonos, since last week curated tours are the only way to get off the ship. We´ll (hopefully) be on Apex 09/04 and received an email from Celebrity regarding the change a few days ago.

Other islands might follow...

Friends on Jewel went ashore alone yesterday. How strange that X is handling things so differently 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Friends on Jewel went ashore alone yesterday. How strange that X is handling things so differently 

NCL does the same. Friens just posted pictures from Mykonos.

Also: Jewel`s home port is Limasol - canceled on our cruise.

On the other hand...
Although inconvenient at a first glance I don´t mind seeing that Celebrity seems to be taking things more seriously than others.

• Like 1