Jump to content

Hyatt Centric or Hyatt Regency Long Beach?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi I have Hyatt Points to use; so which of the two hotels mentioned in the title have good restaurants nearby within walking distance?  There will be four of us sailing out of San Pedro.  We won't have a car.  Looking for a place to eat dinner then breakfast before we head to the ship.  We are sailing Grand Princess to Cabo on 4 Oct 2021.  Thanks for any info provided.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hi I have Hyatt Points to use; so which of the two hotels mentioned in the title have good restaurants nearby within walking distance?  There will be four of us sailing out of San Pedro.  We won't have a car.  Looking for a place to eat dinner then breakfast before we head to the ship.  We are sailing Grand Princess to Cabo on 4 Oct 2021.  Thanks for any info provided.

Are you merely getting in the night before your cruise?  I guess I can see why you're looking at Long Beach--because of Hyatt Points?  Otherwise, most of the reasons for staying in Long Beach when cruising out of San Pedro are that there is a bit more to do there--so, if you've got a couple of nights or at least a full day to spend, you can go to the Aquarium or the Queen Mary and spend some time in the shops, etc.  But, you will have to take an Uber or taxi to get to the port in San Pedro--it's about 6-8 miles away across the harbor.  No Hyatts in Pedro...but the Crowne Plaza is far more convenient when cruising out of Pedro...

 

The two Hyatts are only about a block apart.  The Hyatt Regency is larger and a bit more traditional--attached to the Convention Center, the Hyatt Centric is newer and trendier--in a retail and entertainment center.  Both are excellent choices for Long Beach.  Both are near a great many restaurants--very few of which are open for breakfast.  For Dinner, you've got lots of choices.   Bubba Gump, Chili's, Outback, Gladstone's (Seafood), Parker's Lighthouse (Seafood), Hooters, PF Chang, Q Smokehouse, Tokyo Wako, Yard House, Tequila Jack's ...all along the water...Islands, Auld Dubliner in the complex with the Hyatt Centric...lots more places heading up Pine--like King's Fish House...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bruin Steve, you helped me a few weeks ago.  Let me ask you this question.  We arrive Long Beach airport at 12:30 on 3 oct and sail on 4 oct.  Does it make sense to stay there with Hyatt Points or book the DoubleTree San Pedro with points?  I don't have any IHG points for Crown Plaza.  Are there places to eat at Doubletree within walking distance?  The main reason I'm using Hyatt points is because they expire next year; and I don't plan to use them anywhere in the near future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks Bruin Steve, you helped me a few weeks ago.  Let me ask you this question.  We arrive Long Beach airport at 12:30 on 3 oct and sail on 4 oct.  Does it make sense to stay there with Hyatt Points or book the DoubleTree San Pedro with points?  I don't have any IHG points for Crown Plaza.  Are there places to eat at Doubletree within walking distance?  The main reason I'm using Hyatt points is because they expire next year; and I don't plan to use them anywhere in the near future.

If the Hyatt points are going to go to waste, then, by all means use them.  On good breakfast choice a few blocks walk up pine from either Hyatt is this place:

 

www.omeletteinnlbc.com

 

We love the Doubletree San Pedro--stayed there before our last pre-pandemic cruise.  There is only one restaurant nearby I'd recommend--the 22nd  St. Landing:

 

22nd St. Landing Seafood Grill & Bar (22ndstlandingrestaurant.com)

 

...but the Doubletree will shuttle you for free to other San Pedro restaurants...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

If the Hyatt points are going to go to waste, then, by all means use them.  On good breakfast choice a few blocks walk up pine from either Hyatt is this place:

 

www.omeletteinnlbc.com

 

We love the Doubletree San Pedro--stayed there before our last pre-pandemic cruise.  There is only one restaurant nearby I'd recommend--the 22nd  St. Landing:

 

22nd St. Landing Seafood Grill & Bar (22ndstlandingrestaurant.com)

 

...but the Doubletree will shuttle you for free to other San Pedro restaurants...

Thank you for these recommendations; My Hyatt points expire next Feb.  I have tons of Hilton points which never expire.  That is why I am using the points.  Getting an Uber/Lyft from hotel to port is not a big deal.  I would think the Doubletree shuttle will be filled up with all the cruise people staying there.  Again,  thanks for the valuable feedback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the Hyatt Centric, which as Steve says is newer and trendier, but you can't go wrong with either. They are about two blocks apart in a great area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks Bruin Steve, you helped me a few weeks ago.  Let me ask you this question.  We arrive Long Beach airport at 12:30 on 3 oct and sail on 4 oct.  Does it make sense to stay there with Hyatt Points or book the DoubleTree San Pedro with points?

 

With as early as you are arriving, I'd choose Long Beach and a Hyatt, even though you are sailing from San Pedro. Downtown Long Beach is nicer than the port area of San Pedro with more to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...