Jump to content

Covid on board?


 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Grandma7 said:

The article said they went home by air ambulance,so possibly they were pretty sick and that is why they were tested in the first place. I thought I had read a while back that a person who tested positive and had no serious symptoms  would be kept in quarantine  in a special room in the medical unit. Wonder if this is the case???

I’ll defer this to our Alaska experts here.  But many medical issues in the state are handled by small planes or helicopters that might be called air ambulance services.  Not necessarily emergencies.  I do not think you can get out of Juneau unless by air or sea transportation.  So it would not necessarily mean that the passenger was very ill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I, too, was wondering why that vaccinated pax was tested. Do they test everyone or only those with symptoms?

 

All of us who are fully vaccinated, could be asymptomatic at any given time and we would never know it.

Unless you were tested (read: regularly), of course you would never know.

 

I Am aware that many of us who are vaccinated can be asymptomatic, as such I voluntarily test from time to time in order to know if I Am in fact positive for the virus as I come into contact with those who are vulnerable regularly.

 

Even if I were not in contact with that particular population, there is no need for me to walk around with my head in the clouds thinking 'I cannot be infected now, because I Am vaccinated', which is far from the truth, and I would like to think that most of us understand this as well.

 

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Grandma7 said:

The article said they went home by air ambulance,so possibly they were pretty sick and that is why they were tested in the first place. I thought I had read a while back that a person who tested positive and had no serious symptoms  would be kept in quarantine  in a special room in the medical unit. Wonder if this is the case???

 

Juneau can only be reached by land or by water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I’ll defer this to our Alaska experts here.  But many medical issues in the state are handled by small planes or helicopters that might be called air ambulance services.  Not necessarily emergencies.  I do not think you can get out of Juneau unless by air or sea transportation.  So it would not necessarily mean that the passenger was very ill.

You can in fact drive from Juneau to the US via Canada, but for medical issues, air ambulance is the clear choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Interesting interview regarding the COVID case with a passenger currently onboard the Millennium.

 

Fully vaccinated Celebrity Millennium cruise ship passenger test - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

 

And here's another article. Amazing how the story changes a little each time it's told. But that's to be expected.

 

Alaska cruise passenger tests positive for COVID-19 - RMOToday.com

 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You can in fact drive from Juneau to the US via Canada, but for medical issues, air ambulance is the clear choice.

Sorry, but the only way you can get a car to Juneau is by ferry.  Juneau is unique in that it is the only mainland U.S. state capital with no road connection to anywhere else in the state (or to Canada). The city of Juneau is surrounded by the Juneau Ice Field which makes building connecting roads a problem.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Sorry, but the only way you can get a car to Juneau is by ferry.  Juneau is unique in that it is the only mainland U.S. state capital with no road connection to anywhere else in the state (or to Canada). The city of Juneau is surrounded by the Juneau Ice Field which makes building connecting roads a problem.

 

51 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting interview regarding the COVID case with a passenger currently onboard the Millennium.

 

Fully vaccinated Celebrity Millennium cruise ship passenger test - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

 

And here's another article. Amazing how the story changes a little each time it's told. But that's to be expected.

 

Alaska cruise passenger tests positive for COVID-19 - RMOToday.com

 

Thank you.  The CDC and CLIA guidelines provided for private transport from the ship to home for infected passengers.  I know there were many changes, but did not hear about this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You can in fact drive from Juneau to the US via Canada, but for medical issues, air ambulance is the clear choice.

Fouremco - think you understand now that Hyder - adjacent to Stewart BC is the only place in the Alaska panhandle with road access.   Haines and Skagway further north also have roads.

Off topic, any thoughts on Canada Customs and Border people authorizing an August 6th strike.  That would make a fine mess.  DW and I crossed from Point Roberts WA thru BC to Blaine WA and returned a day ago.  Smooth crossing and felt weird.  No others crossing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Sorry, but the only way you can get a car to Juneau is by ferry.  Juneau is unique in that it is the only mainland U.S. state capital with no road connection to anywhere else in the state (or to Canada). The city of Juneau is surrounded by the Juneau Ice Field which makes building connecting roads a problem.

Of course, you need to take a ferry, two in fact, for a very short part of the drive, but the point is that you can drive to or from there. Ferries, like bridges and toll roads, I simply include as part of the overall drive. Ask Google Maps or any other mapping software for driving directions from Juneau to Seattle and it will provide you with the route. No "sorry, you can't drive there" error message, just the complete route including ferries.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You can in fact drive from Juneau to the US via Canada, but for medical issues, air ambulance is the clear choice.

 

No, there are no roads that connect Juneau to the rest of Alaska or North America

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Fouremco - think you understand now that Hyder - adjacent to Stewart BC is the only place in the Alaska panhandle with road access.   Haines and Skagway further north also have roads.

Off topic, any thoughts on Canada Customs and Border people authorizing an August 6th strike.  That would make a fine mess.  DW and I crossed from Point Roberts WA thru BC to Blaine WA and returned a day ago.  Smooth crossing and felt weird.  No others crossing.

CBSA might not have chosen the best date IMO. As the land crossing from Canada to the US won't be open anyway, it won't directly effect Canadians. Had they waited until the US opened up the border, I think that there would have been a greater amount of pressure brought to bear on the Canadian government to resolve the issue. Of course, there may be other factors  -  the looming federal election, for example  -  that the union leaders are considering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, Hlitner said:

So here is the irony and absolute idiocy of the CDC's policy.  One can take a Celebrity Apex cruise in the Greek Islands where everyone onboard is vaccinated (and tested at embarkation) and everyone must have an antigen test (which they get onboard) before they can fly home to the USA.  But put those same folks on a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean where not everyone is vaccinated and they do not need a test before they fly home.  Perhaps there is somebody at the CDC who can explain the logic of that policy but I doubt it!

 

Hank

I don't always necessarily agree with them, and I do get what you are saying.  At the same time, they have an overall testing requirement for anyone flying in from other countries.  If they start writing specific exceptions like the ones you are talking about it could get even more confusing and frustrating than it already is.  Like, you need a test when flying in from a foreign port cruise, but if you are sailing to and from a US port you don't, but if you are sailing from a foreign port and then ending up in the US you do, or..........well, you get the picture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting interview regarding the COVID case with a passenger currently onboard the Millennium.

 

Fully vaccinated Celebrity Millennium cruise ship passenger test - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

 

And here's another article. Amazing how the story changes a little each time it's told. But that's to be expected.

 

Alaska cruise passenger tests positive for COVID-19 - RMOToday.com

 

Thanks Ken!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 10:39 PM, Hlitner said:

So here is the irony and absolute idiocy of the CDC's policy.  One can take a Celebrity Apex cruise in the Greek Islands where everyone onboard is vaccinated (and tested at embarkation) and everyone must have an antigen test (which they get onboard) before they can fly home to the USA.  But put those same folks on a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean where not everyone is vaccinated and they do not need a test before they fly home.  Perhaps there is somebody at the CDC who can explain the logic of that policy but I doubt it!

 

Hank

It's not logical, but it's understandable 

 

The former is easy -- you're arriving at an international terminal and going through C&I with your passport in hand.  You're clearly coming from a foreign country. 

 

The latter is simply unenforceable.  When you enter the front doors of a domestic airport, they have no way to prove where you've been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, canderson said:

It's not logical, but it's understandable 

 

The former is easy -- you're arriving at an international terminal and going through C&I with your passport in hand.  You're clearly coming from a foreign country. 

 

The latter is simply unenforceable.  When you enter the front doors of a domestic airport, they have no way to prove where you've been.

I think you miss my point.  When you fly into the USA you do go through an International airport and must clear CBP.  When a cruise ship returns to Florida their passengers go through a terminal where they also must be cleared by CBP.  The only difference is that when you fly-in you must first have a negative Antigen test.  But when you cruise in you do not need anything except a nod and a wink.   In both cases the folks have been outside the USA (which is apparently why the CDC mandates you get a test.  So a passenger flying home from St Maarten (after a cruise) must first have a negative Antigen test.  But another passenger (on the same cruise line) who cruises home from St Maarten would not need a similar test.  

 

Now we can debate if anyone should need a test or if everyone would need a test.  But there is no justification for saying only some need a test while others....well...nod nod wink wink.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 8:32 PM, Hlitner said:

I think you are forgetting that on ships that disembark in the USA everyone will need to get an antigen test before the end of the cruise (they need this to fly home).  While this might not impact any ports (the testing will likely happen the last day of the cruise) it will still get some publicity.

 

Hank

We were on B2B Jul 3 and Jul 10 Celebrity Edge sailings.  No antigen test for passengers disembarking the ship; only for those B2B passengers staying on the ship.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I, too, was wondering why that vaccinated pax was tested. Do they test everyone or only those with symptoms? All of us who are fully vaccinated, could be asymptomatic at any given time and we would never know it.

Because they were symptomatic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 6:01 AM, TeeRick said:

I’ll defer this to our Alaska experts here.  But many medical issues in the state are handled by small planes or helicopters that might be called air ambulance services.  Not necessarily emergencies.  I do not think you can get out of Juneau unless by air or sea transportation.  So it would not necessarily mean that the passenger was very ill.

TeeRick is correct that Juneau is only accessed via air and sea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, Grandma7 said:

The article said they went home by air ambulance,so possibly they were pretty sick and that is why they were tested in the first place. I thought I had read a while back that a person who tested positive and had no serious symptoms  would be kept in quarantine  in a special room in the medical unit. Wonder if this is the case???

They went home because they wanted to be isolated at home, rather an in a stateroom.  Incidentally Celebrity paid everything including the flight.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...