Jump to content

Sorry to report - reality of C19 Bahamas


tinaincc
 Share

Recommended Posts

We in the UK have been living with the delta variant for a number of weeks and it is now far and away the dominant strain. Although cases have risen substantially and our scientists have concluded that it is more transmissible ( but much less than 6 times), our hospital bed occupancy has only risen much more slowly and deaths are only slightly higher. We have now removed all social distancing and many other restrictions and our fingers are crossed firmly ! At present, infections are declining without having had any suppressive measures whatever, other than isolation of close contacts. A medic advised me today that the vast majority of hospitalisations and deaths were those who had not been double vaccinated. Indeed, our new minister for health, who is double vaccinated, caught the delta variant but suffered only very mild symptoms. Our scientists are firmly of the view that vaccines afford VERY strong protection against the delta variant.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Not sure what your point is here but she said Mariott. She was put there by the Bahamas Health Minister’s program. There is a guard outside her room, it is downtown. Due to the circumstances we did not discuss the hotel in detail as we were focused on other topics like getting her and her husband out of the country.

 

Myself, my husband and our other 6 friends did not go and get tested before we left the US and that was the point of my original post. If I had to do it again I would have. 
 

Not one person I encountered on the ship pre-tested. We debated this topic quite a bit when we learned on day one that someone was denied boarding due to a positive test (false positive) and was allowed to board in Bimini.

 

I have traveled and flown every month except 4 since March 2020.  No, I have never tested before as airlines domestically do not require a negative test nor did any hotel/resort I went to,  No reason to test.  I did test before an International flight where I was required to test negative the day after I arrived in order to board the ship.  IF I had tested positive I would not have gotten on the plane as I would not be allowed onboard and would not be allowed to fly back to the US and would be locked in a Courtyard till I tested negative    Seemed prudent to me.

Seemed prudent to me (and others I met on the 7/10 cruise) to a avoid a possible travel nightmare.  I am heading to Europe this week and the country and resort I am going to do not require testing.  I just have to upload my vaccination CDC card.  I will have to test before I return.    
 

Sorry, for some reason my first paragraph was inserted to your post, instead of reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bitob said:

We are taking extra precautions ALL THE TIME.

IMO we are little better off than we were before the vaccine because of all those refusing to vaccinate and the variants which can cause breakthrough cases.

 

This is going to be the way it is for a long time to come.

We will cruise but only on a fully vaccinated ship

 

BTW  the Courtyard is not like a Motel 6.

It's like every other Marriott Courtyard - basic hotel with Marriott perks

We stayed there pre cruise in a suite (Titanium upgrade LOL) with ocean view

Service was great and the food in the Bistro is usually good.

I shipped luggage there pre cruise and they took care of it

We stay at Courtyards pre flight everywhere when it's only one day and we do not need resort amenities.

This is your opinion. Her opinion was different, she was NOT upgraded, in a small room with her husband and not allowed to leave the room. Could her opinion be clouded by her circumstances, certainly, but she is entitled to her opinion nonetheless.

 

I saw pictures and it looked terrible, both in room and exterior. To each their own, glad you enjoyed this particular location.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

We in the UK have been living with the delta variant for a number of weeks and it is now far and away the dominant strain. Although cases have risen substantially and our scientists have concluded that it is more transmissible ( but much less than 6 times), our hospital bed occupancy has only risen much more slowly and deaths are only slightly higher. We have now removed all social distancing and many other restrictions and our fingers are crossed firmly ! At present, infections are declining without having had any suppressive measures whatever, other than isolation of close contacts. A medic advised me today that the vast majority of hospitalisations and deaths were those who had not been double vaccinated. Indeed, our new minister for health, who is double vaccinated, caught the delta variant but suffered only very mild symptoms. Our scientists are firmly of the view that vaccines afford VERY strong protection against the delta variant.

Our scientists feel the same way.  

 

The challenge we have are so many people not vaccinated and that is a major problem.

 

The new items is whether immunocompromised people need a booster and the talk is sooner rather than later.

 

Keith

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 9:59 PM, tinaincc said:

I agree with you to an extent. The CDC stars that if you are vaccinated you are highly unlikely to transmit C19.they also say that non symptomatic should not be tested.  If that is true then why are US citizens being banned from entering the US. 
 

bottom line , everyone cruising should be OK with 15 day quarantine before or after the cruise and we just never even considered that possibility.

UPDATE - we just received an email

stating they are now adding Miami - fine but here’s the deal breaker - they will now be accepting non vaccinated passengers -sadly we have put in to cancel the trip. Just not worth it adding the non- vaccinated to the trip sadly.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

I do not like hearing that your wife is fully vaccinated, you took precautions and she still got infected? 🤬. Why did this occur?  Mind boggling to me. 😱

I have several friends/coworkers who are fully vaccinated and have had breakthrough infections. I was exposed to one and had to test myself (tested negative). Two of my friends had serious symptoms but did not require hospitalization (fever 104, chest pains, breathing issues, no sense of taste/smell, etc...). Their families tested positive but had mild symptoms. Breakthrough positives and infections do occur even if one is vaccinated. They did have the Delta variant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, talking2u said:

UPDATE - we just received an email

stating they are now adding Miami - fine but here’s the deal breaker - they will now be accepting non vaccinated passengers -sadly we have put in to cancel the trip. Just not worth it adding the non- vaccinated to the trip sadly.  

Sorry to hear that you will not be traveling. Would you mind sharing when you were scheduled to travel? I’m curious as to when this new approach takes effect. Also curious as to how the Bahamas is handling non-vaccinated travelers and their detailed visa process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Our scientists feel the same way.  

 

The challenge we have are so many people not vaccinated and that is a major problem.

 

The new items is whether immunocompromised people need a booster and the talk is sooner rather than later.

 

Keith

We too have this issue, especially with younger people. Various initiatives are being tried, such as a mobile vaccination unit being sited at a recent festival attended by 40K, many of them younger adults. Our government are now indicating that they plan to introduce a requirement that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed to enter certain activities, examples mooted being nightclubs, football matches, etc. We have an NHS app with a digitalised vaccine status so quite easy to police.

Our government have also already announced that booster jabs will be available in the autumn for all over 50s and the clinically vulnerable of all ages.

As for cruising, we really look forward to this becoming a realistic possibility as soon as possible, as we so miss Crystal. Keith, your blog has not helped in this regard (LOL)

Colin

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sthrngary said:

You made a statement, "People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise."  It doesn't matter.

 

First, let me express my sympathy for your canceled trip, and best wishes for your wife continuing her recovery free of Covid symptoms. 

 

I would disagree with your statement. I think taking the precautions you did does matter. Being "serious" and careful in the weeks prior to international travel gives you the best odds of avoiding Covid and being able to travel. But it is not a guarantee. Nothing is a guarantee against Covid.

 

Most people will be able to travel safely and enjoy their cruise, but in a world where Covid remains a highly transmissible disease and where some people choose not to get vaccinated while others cannot yet get vaccinated, it's inevitable that a few travelers will come into contact with people who have Covid and will end up testing positive themselves. That doesn't mean taking reasonable precautions doesn't matter; it makes it likely -- but unfortunately not failsafe -- that you can travel without problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

 

First, let me express my sympathy for your canceled trip, and best wishes for your wife continuing her recovery free of Covid symptoms. 

 

I would disagree with your statement. I think taking the precautions you did does matter. Being "serious" and careful in the weeks prior to international travel gives you the best odds of avoiding Covid and being able to travel. But it is not a guarantee. Nothing is a guarantee against Covid.

 

Most people will be able to travel safely and enjoy their cruise, but in a world where Covid remains a highly transmissible disease and where some people choose not to get vaccinated while others cannot yet get vaccinated, it's inevitable that a few travelers will come into contact with people who have Covid and will end up testing positive themselves. That doesn't mean taking reasonable precautions doesn't matter; it makes it likely -- but unfortunately not failsafe -- that you can travel without problems. 

The problem with social media is our comments are usually responding to someone else comment. So when one line or sentence is used, it does not really express the entirety of the message.  The central theme of my post where the above sentence came from was, "Test Prior to going the the port".  This is especially important when international.  If get to the port, test positive, you will lose your entire cruise fare and in Nassau be put into a hotel quarantined.  It is expensive and scary.

 

My statement was, even if you are careful, it may not matter so simply double check.  The next part of my emphasis was be smart and be as careful as you can be.  John Wooden the great basketball coach always focus on controlling what you could control.  He did not win all the time just more then most.  Odd in life is all we have.  Thank you for your post, I appreciated it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sthrngary said:

You made a statement, "People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise."  It doesn't matter.  My wife and I thought the exact same way, we continued to wear masks, socially distanced, and did not go out except for the grocery store.  She got Covid-19 8-days prior to our cruise.  We were super careful and have been much more careful then most.  We also live in Alabama where it is one of the worst states for taking the Vaccine.  

 

On being careful on the actual cruise.  I think you are referring to the guest that made a reference to asking her butler to take off his mask.  That was an unfortunate use of words and emphasis on certain words.

 

Taking a test prior to cruising is a MUST.  Having good travel insurance is a MUST.  Using the right credit card that also has an insurance cancellation component is a MUST. Using good business judgement on the actual cruise is a MUST.  AND knowing what a foreign government will do is you are in their country with a Positive Corvid Test is a MUST.

 

Funny, we got lucky.  Let me say, really lucky.  A blessing really. We found out pre-cruise or travel.  No one should have to be isolated in a hotel for 14 days with not control of getting out.  No one.  Just my thoughts on the matter. 

Gary,

perhaps I missed a post but did you have to cancel?  You’ve been very active in posting on this board and I know that you were looking forward to the cruise. 
 

Preston

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, PM1225 said:

Gary,

perhaps I missed a post but did you have to cancel?  You’ve been very active in posting on this board and I know that you were looking forward to the cruise. 
 

Preston

Preston: Yes, my cruise was for this Saturday, July 31, 2021.  Last week my wife positive for Covid-19. She has a mild mid-mild case. She go the Antibody infusion on Monday. She is getting her sense of smell and taste back slightly.  We were fully vaccinated as of April 17, 2021.  Today, she is sunning on our roof deck with our French Dog Otis Redding. 

 

I am a detail nut and hedged my bets prior to booking the day this cruise was available online.  I had Travel Insurance & A Credit Card that both covered travel cancellation.  We are in the claims process right now.  Because it was 8-days out, Crystal only provides 50% refund. That is there policy and I knew the rules to the game upfront.

 

I am attempting to rebook myself on the Miami Departure on September 6, 2021.  To do so, a lot of details have to happen.  I hope that answers your question.  Thank you for noticing my posts.  I try very hard to be positive and interesting.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary,

 

We’ll miss you but perhaps you can reduce the expense and trouble by boarding in Miami?

 

We are a bit nervous as we plunked down a fair chunk of change for a large suite and don’t have insurance. Couple that with 14 days in a penalty box for a positive test and we get more nervous. It sounds like there are ways to escape but it would take a few days to organize. 
 

To further complicate things we are now in Florida until traveling to Nassau on Saturday. Florida is a hotspot for infections. 
 

We are going to trust the vaccines and hope for the best!  We are being smart but will not become recluses in fear of the virus.

 

We wish a speedy recovery for your wife & good luck with the claims process. 
 

Preston

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...